Skullcandy Smokin' Buds Ink'd
Oct 8, 2007 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
OK OK OK, I know you guys are gonna go "What" when you see this, but I took a look through some of my "cheapy" IEM's/Canalphones last night and I found these. I had recieved them from my uncle and they were free, so I can't complain. Anyways, I decided to plug these into my iPod Shuffle and see what they could do. For being free (and the $10 price they were bought at originally) they don't perform that bad. I can actually say that I prefer these to my Creative EP-630's. The bass is boosted on these a tad, but not as much as the EP's (maybe that's why I want to trade my Creatives). The big con about them, is that the include tips are really really flimsy and I end up using the Medium tips from the EP's. It is nice that SC includes a small carrying pouch and tips. Just thought I would let you guys know.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 14
lol, I was just saying since people have such a hatred torwards SC. o.O

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't hate them...I just like poking fun at the name.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I was just saying since people have such a hatred torwards SC. o.O

I think its more like the Bose-Bashing; Skullcandy charges more money for their higher end than the sound quality will justify. If you saw that "bullet" headphones mentioned sell for $20 or Bose Triports sell for <$50, you'd see significantly less Bose and Skullcandy bashing.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 14
As I've remarked before in several anti-Skullcandy threads, the Ink'd actually aren't that bad. Thay have a smooth, bassy sound that's kinda fun, and are very easy to drive. I like mine so much, I bought a backup pair. If you like 'em, more power to you. Bashers who have never tried them are as bad as the most rabid ipod fanboys!

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 14
If the Triports were sub $50 they might be able to beat the KSC-75 for best bargain phones. Of course this thread isn't about the Triports, it is about some Skullcandys. Still a really stupid name, but if the sound is decent, then good, they're another alternative. That said I'm impressed by how the drivers hold up at high volumes, I see one guy about twice a week around here who has a pair of the smokin' buds (I feel stupid just typing that) who has them cranked so loud you can hear whatever he is listening to quite clearly from 10 feet away. Quite frightening, I can't believe he doesn't realize he's killing his hearing, but point is they can hold that ridiculous volume and have been holding it for a while now, which is pretty impressive, I would think most drivers would have blown from that sort of abuse.

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Triports were sub $50 they might be able to beat the KSC-75 for best bargain phones. Of course this thread isn't about the Triports, it is about some Skullcandys. Still a really stupid name, but if the sound is decent, then good, they're another alternative.

Exactly. I didn't mean to derail this thread in any way with my previous post. The point I was trying to make is that the majority of the bashing of Skullcandy's here is people joining the bandwagon without realizing what the bashing is about.

I was in the same boat because the Skullcandy's I had heard up till a while ago were the larger models that charge big bucks and deliver miniature results. But the Smokin Buds, if they can be found for low prices provide alright sound.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the smokin buds are usually accepted as the more decent of the skullcandy line. We just hate the headphones with bullets on them.

LOL yeah the bullet headphones do look really stupid. I had a friend tell me that those looked cool. I just laughed for a good 5 minutes.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, the Smokin' Buds Ink'd (in about 10 different colors) are selling at FYE for $10 right now, on-sale.

I bought a pair of them today so that I could try out their ear-fittings on my V-Moda Vibes. Turns out they fit perfectly, and offer some in-between sizes that aren't included with the V-Moda.

And of course I listened, because I was curious.

They have a really harsh upper-midrange, and noticeable (but muddy) bass. I'd say they're definitely worth the $10 upgrade from stock iBuds or $10 Sony equivalents. They're more comfortable to wear than my V-Modas (lightweight, smooth-edged and NOT steely-cold).

They're probably the best earbuds you can buy for $10, but for $30 I'd probably invest a little more and get a pair of Sony Fontopia.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocBlasto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Smokin' Buds Ink'd (in about 10 different colors) are selling at FYE for $10 right now, on-sale.

I bought a pair of them today so that I could try out their ear-fittings on my V-Moda Vibes. Turns out they fit perfectly, and offer some in-between sizes that aren't included with the V-Moda.

And of course I listened, because I was curious.

They have a really harsh upper-midrange, and noticeable (but muddy) bass. I'd say they're definitely worth the $10 upgrade from stock iBuds or $10 Sony equivalents. They're more comfortable to wear than my V-Modas (lightweight, smooth-edged and NOT steely-cold).

They're probably the best earbuds you can buy for $10, but for $30 I'd probably invest a little more and get a pair of Sony Fontopia.

I've listened to Creative EP-630's, and Sony's fontopias of every model...51/71/81/90 and I prefer the SC's to them, but not over the Senn. CX300. I do agree that these are a steal at $10, shoot it's like fye is scamming skullcandy. I am a little dissapointed that the paint is starting to chip off of mine, but hey, I can't complain, they were free.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 14
I just bought the skull candy Ink'd Smoking buds for my g/f because she complained that the marshmallow tips were too big for her. I saw the Ink'd came with tips.

So i tested the Ink'd buds with the normal tips. They are a lot more comfortable then my HPM-70 that came with my SE HBH-DS220. They sound very muddy on my laptops full blast. When there is too much stuff going on, ( listening to fall out boy - thank you for the memories and Tragically hip - in View ) the bass and the vocals kinda merge and makes it sound to messy. I can't even find the bass line during the chorus. I turned down the volume to 70% and it was a little better but it's hard to say. Maybe i need to burn them in.

The HPM-70 has really good mid and highs but very lacking in Bass. The stock tips are very flimsy but with the Ink'd tips they sound a lot better and fits really well.

My Benchmark is the JVC HA-FX33. i just got into the IEM scene and don't have that much money to blow on headphones. The Marshmallows have a very clear bass and very harsh highs. I'll probably do the kramer mod. With the small tips, the fitment is amazing. i just have to cut the plastic tube a little bit.

Coles notes: JVC HA-FX33 > HPM-70 > Ink'd Smoking Buds

For my g/f that doesn't like loud music but hates those standard ear buds.. i think she'll like the Ink'd in pink. gonna buy a couple to give away as gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back