Skullcandy Smokin' Buds initial impressions (yes I'm serious)
Oct 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Naris

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up these with the mic attachment hoping to use them as a cheap headset (the purple/yellow and black/red colors appear to be the ones with in line microphones). Unlike the pictures, mine came with no in line volume control. It's not a big deal really as I suspect it would only color the sound further.

They come with 3 different rubber attachments, the openings are way too thick to use my old comply foams and UM56. Comfort wise they aren't horrible, but they do seem like they'd fall out if you yanked on them too hard. Running around did not dislodge them, nor did the wind. Upper cable is slightly microphonic when you stop to play with it, but in real term use isn't that bothersome. Sound attenuation is very much less than the Westone UM2s, but about on par with the Sennheiser HD25 (which is a good thing when walking). Seems to attenuate higher pitched noises (like brake screeching) much better than the HD25s.

I'm giving them a bit of time to burn in while I find the free time to give them a good listen and review against my other headphones, but right now I find that they do improve slightly with amping, sound muffled with recessed treble, and don't seem to have much of a soundstage. I haven't had a chance to try out the phone mic, but will do so as well.

Given the price ($25) I wasn't expecting miracles, and these actually aren't half bad all things considered. I'll follow up with a review hopefully this weekend.

EDIT: The mic is apparently good quality... or at least the two people I've spoken to prefer it to the Palm Cento's internal mic. The added bass also adds a bit more clarity oddly enough. Even if it never gets used for music after this weekend I think I've found a new companion for my phone...

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I used to think they werent bad either. I've recently been listening to Soundmagic PL30's which can be had for roughly the same price. Let's just say they make the skullies look completely ridiculous.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 3
Skullcandy Smokin' Buds initial impressions (yes I'm serious)

Sounds like fun.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back