Skullcandy Skullcrushers vs. Koss Porta Pros
May 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

santoro72

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was debating on which set of headphones to buy out of the two.  I listen to alot of bass heavy music (dubstep, hip hop) and I want to purchase the ones that will give me the best performance.  If you think there are other headphones I should consider, I have a price range up to $40.  I just want some headphones to make a plane flight more enjoyable.  Thanks!

May 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 17
I already know how this thread is going to end up.

May 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 17
Am I gonna get ripped? Because I noticed alot of the headphones being mentioned are the higher quality type.  If I had the money or the time to save up, I would invest in the higher end headphones, but that's not the case.

May 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 17
Skullcandy headphones aren't respected around these parts. They are the bottom end sound quality wise. The Portapro on the other hand is a good can FWIR. However, I'm not sure either suit your purposes as you'll need a good deal of isolation for a plane trip.

May 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 17
lol my gut instinct told me to stay away from the Skullcandy's, I'm just intrigued by the subwoofer aspect.  In terms of the Porta Pros during a plane flight, is isolation a must? Because I'm really not too picky when it comes to listening, I just wanted headphones that had some thump to them, just in the $0-$40 price range.

May 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 17
The Porta Pros have a lot more thump than you'd expect by looking at them, but if you turn them up loud enough to drown out the ambient noise on an airplane, you'll bother everyone else around you and may even damage your hearing.  If you're looking for something good for use on a plane, a pair of IEMs will do nicely.  They do a good job of blocking out sound so you can listen at moderate volumes, and don't leak sound to the outside world.  I'm not sure what's the best in your price range though.  You can look through the ones at the link or maybe someone else can suggest something.

May 31, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 17
I tried the skullcrushers at a best buy for craps and giggles and immediately took them off my head. They vibrate like crazy but had minimal bass impact for some reason. Tried the portapros next and couldn't believe the sound coming from some of the cheapest looking headphones I've seen. They will provide you with the thumping bass that you desire, while having some nice highs as well.

May 31, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Best thing to do is go and try some headphones out at bestbuy or what ever, personlly for near that you could get some k81dj's (same as k518 le/dj's) Witch are pretty good, cord is kinda short on the 518 le's tho. Comes with free bag!

May 31, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 17
Ok cool, I appreciate the feedback.  I think I may go with the Porta Pros, even though they lack isolation because they seem like very class headphones.  And I won't dare mention Skullcandy on this forum again lol

Thanks!

May 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 17
You might want to go the IEM route.  JVC and Denon both produce some cheap (price-wise) canalphones that have decent isolation and decent quality.  The problem with full-size headphones is that you really do have to pick 3 of 4:  Sound Quality, Comfort, Isolation, Price. :]

May 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 17
I use to own the skullcrushers. The whole sub woofer thing for the skullcrushers isn't really what it makes itself out to be. For electronic music they have the most impact, but after a while they really start to get annoying. But as for really low bass (the only example I can think of is the kicks Flo-Rida's Low or Lil Jon's Get Low) they do terrible. They have the punch, but no rumble. They isolate well, but I can't keep them on my head for more than 30 minutes without them making me feel like my brain is going to explode.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 17
Yeah, I found that out when I did the demo of the Skullcrushers at Best Buy, I was semi-impressed by the way it sounded during Kanye West's "Love Lockdown" but after I left the store, I still felt leftover rumbles in my head.  I just wish there was a place to go demo the Porta Pros.  I've only seen them on Amazon.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 17
The thing with the Skullcrushers is that they add actual air and gyro movement to the sound, rather than just pure sound. It's actually a pretty interesting innovation, to simulate the effect of a subwoofer. I have not heard the Skullcrushers so I have no idea how they sound but I always wanted to try the vibrating effect they had.

The Porta Pro is a magnificent sounding heapdhone at its price, but since you mentioned you'll be going on a planetrip like said I recommend going the IEM route.

May I suggest the Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 170, goes for about $40 and has killer bass and will isolate you well on a plane trip. I really think you will love it. One of the best buy bang for the buck IEMs ever in my experience.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 17
So, I think this link will do all the explaining you need, for why the skullcrushers are not good.
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=1263&graphID[1]=1613&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones
Maybe you can't tell how good a headphone will sound from a response graph, but you can certainly tell how bad it is.

There are a lot of decent options for IEM's under $40, and it really doesn't matter what you get as long as you go with a respected company. Many IEM's in that price range have very wet sound, with a lot of bass but not too much detail. But, really, they're the best option for your stated intent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back