Skullcandy Mixmaster Appreciation Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KodaO

100+ Head-Fier
Hear me out. I honestly think they deserve their own thread. Skullcandy really did a good job with the Mixmaster's.

I can't be the only one who's used them. They, IMO, have a great SS for a pair of DJ headphones. And running a sweep between 20-15k~ Hz is quite interesting. When I did so with my Shure SRH-940's, the low end was full of clearly audible pits and bumps, with a near harsh high end. They MM's extend well on the low end, and have an overall smooth response all the way through the spectrum. Their high end is rolled off, but present enough to keep them from sounding muffled, smooth is a good way to describe.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 18
I was thinking of buying a pair myself, but not for $300. I'm a poor college student after all. Only headphones from Skullcandy I own are the SS Heavy Medal and Hesh 2, and they're not that bad considering I got both for over 60% off.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 18
I was thinking of buying a pair myself, but not for $300. I'm a poor college student after all. Only headphones from Skullcandy I own are the SS Heavy Medal and Hesh 2, and they're not that bad considering I got both for over 60% off.

I got mine for 115$

Totally worth it at that price point. I just think that Skullcandy is really stepping up their game, and with three new models of headphone coming out, I think soon enough they could be a big contender in the audiophile community. The MM's are by no means an audiophile can, the Aviator's fit that bill better, but they sound amazing.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 18
Well in that case that's a splendid price. I'd like to at least try them out at one point, I've heard good things about them and they look nice as well.

I would use them over the AKG 701, but I can't stand open backed headphones, just preference

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 18
I was thinking of trying some open back M500's just to see what all the fuss is about. If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate open backed headphones? 

I'm an active DJ, and am always listening portably. I can't stand the lack of isolation. Other than that the HD700 still hold the top spot for me in terms of open cans.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 18
I do think these cans have a great sound quality. It sounds much like what a $300 headphones should sound like.

However, in my opinion, the Pioneer HDJ 2000's do much better at a lower price. (~$215 via Amazon / B&H).
At $300 (or even near the $200), the Skullcandy Mix Masters lack the durability so often required by an active DJ.
I would LOVE to see where you are able to get Mix Masters for $115 unused.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 18
I do think these cans have a great sound quality. It sounds much like what a $300 headphones should sound like.

However, in my opinion, the Pioneer HDJ 2000's do much better at a lower price. (~$215 via Amazon / B&H).
At $300 (or even near the $200), the Skullcandy Mix Masters lack the durability so often required by an active DJ.
I would LOVE to see where you are able to get Mix Masters for $115 unused.

Well they were of course used, and in terms of durability, they work well. I didn't mean DJ as in throwing my body around on stage like a dubstep "performer" I DJ in more or less club and party settings.

As for price points on the MM's, you can get them for 250~ on Amazon, and under 200 on eBay.

I haven't heard the HDJ 2000's, but from why I've read, the Mixmaster has more appropriate bass for EDM, house, ect.. That I need.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 18
The HDJ 2000's have a great mid-range, and a great bass texture to my tastes.
I do find them a bit neutral for their 'DJ' label, though.

I find the MM's to be more forward, I'd use them for studio/mixing. Definitely not a mastering/reference phone, but they have that aggressive SS that I love to have when mixing tracks

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 18
Also, the MM's have so many useful DJ features, it's worth the 250$ IMO.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 18
The MMM fit the sound signiture I am looking for spot on. I picked them up new from the Skullcandy website with a 50% off code. ( $150 total). I was completely floored by how good they got after a little burn in period.  I was not expecting these from Skullcandy or any headphone under $300.  I have been scouring Headfi and everywhere else looking for someone else to be amazed by these and its few and far between. Everyone seems to stay hands off because the Skullcandy reputation at Headfi. I can assure you all these are leagues better than anything else they have produced. (aviators included) I gotta say im in love with them and will be beyond happy using them for all my electronic music.  
You also get the added benefit of a lifetime warranty. The Clamp force is brutal but that can be remedied with  with cotton.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
The MMM fit the sound signiture I am looking for spot on. I picked them up new from the Skullcandy website with a 50% off code. ( $150 total). I was completely floored by how good they got after a little burn in period.  I was not expecting these from Skullcandy or any headphone under $300.  I have been scouring Headfi and everywhere else looking for someone else to be amazed by these and its few and far between. Everyone seems to stay hands off because the Skullcandy reputation at Headfi. I can assure you all these are leagues better than anything else they have produced. (aviators included) I gotta say im in love with them and will be beyond happy using them for all my electronic music.  
You also get the added benefit of a lifetime warranty. The Clamp force is brutal but that can be remedied with  with cotton.

I love mine as well, the price tag is probably the only real problem to most people.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
The HDJ 2000's have a great mid-range, and a great bass texture to my tastes.
I do find them a bit neutral for their 'DJ' label, though.

I have the hdj2000, have had the mix master, and many other pioneer cans. The hdj2000 is way more 'audiophile' than 'dj' in the sound curve. the hdj1500 is more toward a traditional dj sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back