Skullcandy Lowrider Mod
Feb 15, 2010 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. I have a mod that will make these skullcandys get a much better fit/seal and offer overall better performance. When I first heard them, I thought they were surprisingly bass light. But when I pressed on the earcups with my hands, it made a much better seal.

THe main problem with them is the earcups dont swivel far enough so it cant get a good seal. To fix it, you can simply take the earcups off and switch them around on the headband. There is a small screw on the inside headband that attaches the earcup. Take out the screw, pop off the little plastic cover and remove the earcups. The little plastic peice holds the headband and earcups together, and the screws secure it. Once you switch the earcups on the headband, they will swivel the opposite way from original.

I dont know why skullcandy didnt do this originally. It seems like they swivel the wrong way from the factory. Somebody should try this mod and report back.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 14
Pretty good, but no one here HAS a lowrider that is being used.

Got one (years ago), returned. Didn't look back.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 14
Mod #2: These headphones are the type that are foldable at the top of the headband so you can fit them in your pocket. Because of this, they dont clamp hard enough to your ears, making them loose seal. I made them clamp much better by wrapping some string in the part where the headband folds. THey can no longer fold, but they clamp much harder and the seal is much better than stock. The comfort is not as good of course but is still good enough.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm just curious, but why would anybody ever want to use these headphones?

They are ridiculously overpriced and much better can be had at that price. They also look ridiculous.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 14
im interested in getting some cheapo skulcandy's as a shell for my portapro's. i think they sound much better closed for some reason; replacing/removing the driver is easy enough.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 14
I personally think that ben4345's mod is the best so far. Keep 'em coming!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Mod #3: You can easily get to the housing and drivers by taking off the earpads and unscrewing three screws. You just have to be careful when splitting the earcup that you dont pull the wires off the driver. With two hands, you can pull the cable through for some slack. I used foam from some cheap headphone pads to stuff the housing, and I also took off the paper filter in front of the driver. This mod really increased the bass and treble, but made it sound harsh, which leads to:

Mod #4: I took some chunks of bedfoam (about the size of whoppers chocolate candy) and stuffed it underneath the earpads to increase distance of the ear and driver. I put double the foam near were the tragus area would be, which really increased the seal. I used some old earpads from crappy walkman headphones to cover up the driver in the earcup and calm down the harshness. I will be experimenting with plugging the holes in the grill of the driver later on.

As far as the sound vs. the original, its hard to say from memory, but it is deffinitly different. Much more bass and darker midrange, less fatiguing. But there is still something artifical about the sound so I cant recommend all of these mods. But I can recommend Mod #1 as a must and Mod #2 if you dont care about folding them up.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mod #3,
tools needed: Hammer, garbage can
Never mind, you know what I am going to say.

That is about the same i thought when i read the title.
"Skullcandy Garbage can mod"

But if you are having fun modding them, more power to you.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is about the same i thought when i read the title.
"Skullcandy Garbage can mod"

But if you are having fun modding them, more power to you.

Yes, let him have fun modding. Atleast we know who to ignore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP
the sa5000 has a light bass

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random dude
weren't you the guy with the skullcandy lowriders. That liked them so much you even have gone through the trouble of modding them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back