Skullcandy FMJ flashbacks (It get's ugly... Vietnam ugly!)
Apr 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Joelby

1000+ Head-Fier
So you might ask: "What are you doing with Skullcandy IEMs?"

To that I would reply: "I bought them years ago, I didn't know any better, I swear!"

There was zero research done on my part when I bought these. I figured: Bigger price tag has to mean better, right? Wrong...

Anyway, I haven't used these phones in a long time. Last night I wanted to listen to a couple songs in bed and decided to pop them just for craps n' giggles. Straight out of an Ipod hp jack, as they're intended.

All I can say is, BLAH!!!!!

If you want a reference to how bad these phones sound:

1) Put on your favourite pair of headphones
2) Submerge your head in a toilet bowl
3) Flush

That may be a harsh evaluation, but seriously, they are unlistenable to me. They completely saturate my favourite tunes with strange resonances and tonal imperfections. If I used one word to describe this sound sig, it would be Congestion. If headphones were people, this one would be an obnoxious guy with a cold. You know, the one from the Dayquil commercials that's always sneezing on everybody...

I guess this goes to show how this site and research have turned me around when it comes to headphones. Before, I used to assume that you had to sacrifice sound quality for the convenience headphones afford. I've learned, to great pleasure, that this is simply not the case.

Now one question remains: "What to do with these disgraced IEMs, other then listen to them?"
My first thought was to use them as a replacement shoelace. Then I realized how stupid that would look!
Now I'm thinking maybe a replacement wasteband for some old sweatpants!

Please post your suggestions
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keep them and use them as a benchmark for every headphone you listen to from now on.

Good call! The best thing about these phones is that they justify spending X amount of dollars on great headphones.

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 28
LOL @ Vietnam ugly...

Apr 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 28
I would suggest using them as a sort of clothesline to hang your other IEMs on, so they always get put in their place :p

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a reference to how bad these phones sound:

1) Put on your favourite pair of headphones
2) Submerge your head in a toilet bowl
3) Flush

That sounds about right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back