Skullcandy Cassette Ear Cushions
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ConsultingGeek

New Head-Fier
I want to replace the ear cushions on my pair of Cassettes. The cushions are removable and look like pretty common cushions. I've seen some that look similar, but they're all the wrong size, at least if I've measured the originals correctly. I measured them with a normal ruler and they're 6cm, all the cushions I've seen are either 5cm or 7cm. Does anyone know of any cushions that would fit? There's nothing wrong with the original cushions, they just get a little uncomfortable after a while and don't really have a good seal. So anything that would solve those two things is all I want. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I don't think you're going to find much help here. Skullcandy falls into the "loathed" category of headphones on this forum, and almost anybody here would not dare use them, since for the most part, they're more about cool looks than good sound (like beats, for example).

And here, it's all about the sound.

If you like the sound you're getting from your headphones though and you're happy with it, more power to you. Sound is a very subjective field. But, it's just you're not asking in the right place. Again, not trying to be a !@#$%^&* or anything, it's just how it is here. Maybe contact Skullcandy through e-mail inquiring about the cushions?

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 9
I hear what you're saying, I've lurked around here for a few days and kinda saw that Skullcandy was hated. but I didn't think it would be a problem seeing as all I'm looking for are 6cm circular ear cushions. Like really, what's so hard about that? 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Since most people aren't really a fan of them here, they probably don't do much research into them as other headphones, and thus would not know where to find replacement cushions. So it may not inherently be that they don't want to help you, it's that they don't really have information to give to you. Like I said, you could contact Skullcandy Customer Support via E-mail, or give them a call. You could also try a quick Google search, unless you already did. It's also a possibility that Skullcandy doesn't sell replacement cushions.

Cheers

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, I've lurked around here for a few days and kinda saw that Skullcandy was hated. but I didn't think it would be a problem seeing as all I'm looking for are 6cm circular ear cushions. Like really, what's so hard about that? 

Proprietary accessories/parts. Perhaps they're trying to prevent counterfeits?

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't think SK uses proprietary parts, well at least not for the cushions. They look like common cushions it's just I can't find any that are 6cm. I'm not looking for stock replacements, a different kind of cushion that'd be more comfortable and also (if possible) provide a better seal to keep more sound in. 

I see your point that since SK isn't popular people don't really know much about them, but for something like ear cushions I wouldn't think brands matter. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I don't think SK uses proprietary parts, well at least not for the cushions. They look like common cushions it's just I can't find any that are 6cm. I'm not looking for stock replacements, a different kind of cushion that'd be more comfortable and also (if possible) provide a better seal to keep more sound in. 

I see your point that since SK isn't popular people don't really know much about them, but for something like ear cushions I wouldn't think brands matter. 

On the contrary, Skullcandies are quite popular where I live. It's just on forums like head-fi where people tend to shun a pair of of headphones that's seen as more of a fashion accessory than well-engineered product.

But if my level of stereotyping is good enough, the majority of people who would buy from brands like Skullcandy would rather buy new headphones or send them in for repair/replacement rather than buying parts from the store and fixing the headphones themselves.

I really have no idea what your ear cushions look like, as I can't seem to find them on the headphone on Skullcandy's site.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9
This is the pair I have here http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/cassette-athletic-white. The ear cushions are circular, measure 6cm, are open in the center (no cloth covering), and attach to the headphones by a small plastic lip. A pair of cushions like these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SHFQGO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04XSB2SCRA8NNRRFEGMN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846 look like they would work, but any kind like these I've seen are either 5cm or 7cm. I'm not sure I'd want to get a pair exactly like that since they look just like stock, pretty much the same shape with a bit more padding would be good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back