skullcandy aviator & beyerdynamic dt 990 pro
Dec 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FFab

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I purchased a pair of skullcandy aviator on a net shop coz I found them at discount price 59 € instead of 159€. I haven't  received them yet that, but as i found another good offer in another online shop for a pair of beyerdynamic dt 990 pro (119€) i was also thinking about this cans.
Is it usefull to buy beyerdynamic? I mean, have they different sound signature from aviator? has someone compared them two?
As addictional info I mainly listen to ayreon nightwish stratovarius pink floyd etc.
Merry Chrismas

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 9
what is the nominal impedance on the DT990 pro? can you or anyone tell me, cause if its too high you might need an amp for it to sounds good..

DT990 can be a little bit bright and harsh on the treble and higher frequency resp. Aviator might be better for metal imo, as it is mor of a fun sounding headphone as opposed to the DT990 analytical-ish sound

cheers,

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
what is the nominal impedance on the DT990 pro? can you or anyone tell me, cause if its too high you might need an amp for it to sounds good..

DT990 can be a little bit bright and harsh on the treble and higher frequency resp. Aviator might be better for metal imo, as it is mor of a fun sounding headphone as opposed to the DT990 analytical-ish sound

cheers,

Sorry for the stupid question but i'm quite noob btw don't anlitycal sound help for hearing much details of the song? if it's like this why they are not better?

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 9
sometimes and most analytical sounding cans cannot create a fun atmosphere to the music, as if it is too clinical and can get a little boring to be used for some type of music. I said most because it is not all... You can get detailed sound too without being too analytical. The aviator might sound more musical here as it is not a revealing type of headphone, you can pretty much throw all kinds of music and still get a descent sound.. as opposed to the DT990 which is more revealing and in my opinion more polarized to certain type of music due to its brightness.

but then again it is your choice and it would be better if you try it yourself, cause my preferences in sound might be different to yours

and DT990 is 250ohm, you need a little more juice to drive the headphone other than just plugging it directly to your audio player

cheers,

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 9

Thank you, the problem is that i can't try them here, coz here the only cans i can try is the one on the apple store. So i'm reading a lot trying to undestand as much as possible.
What is the best type of music for beyerdynamic?
Quote:
sometimes and most analytical sounding cans cannot create a fun atmosphere to the music, as if it is too clinical and can get a little boring to be used for some type of music. I said most because it is not all... You can get detailed sound too without being too analytical. The aviator might sound more musical here as it is not a revealing type of headphone, you can pretty much throw all kinds of music and still get a descent sound.. as opposed to the DT990 which is more revealing and in my opinion more polarized to certain type of music due to its brightness.

but then again it is your choice and it would be better if you try it yourself, cause my preferences in sound might be different to yours

and DT990 is 250ohm, you need a little more juice to drive the headphone other than just plugging it directly to your audio player

cheers,

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Umm, the DT990 is ANYTHING but analytical. Its all fun, all the time. Lots of bass and treble, ESPECIALLY the Pros.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 9
The Aviator is a pretty good closed headphone from the small amount of time I had with them at the stores, but the DT990 sounds better IMHO. they also have a pretty large soundstage due to the open design, and are incredibly comfortable. They do require a decent amp. They are actually the easiest to listen to treble-wise. If you need looks and isolation, the Aviators would suit you more, as the DT990 pro is quite rugged looking, and won't block out noise and leak out quite a bit. The DT990 Pro has a lot of bass, so if you're into electronic genres, they will suit you well. FRrom what you posted, I know Nightwish, and I think it would suit it well, though vocals will sound a bit distant. I haven't tested the Aviators enough to zone in on it's sound signature, though I found it to sound good, not GREAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back