Skipping pcdp FIXED!!! Thank U!
Feb 4, 2003 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Aushadi

New Head-Fier
I guess I could sum this up as "nothing ventured nothing gained", and thanks to the advice/hints from my friends at H-F.

My panny pcdp, actually a pdvdp, the dvd-pa65, had started to skip badly! It was driving me crazy! Thought it was one cd (EC&BB) w/scratches or something. I polished that sucker down to the freekin' aluminum, and it still skipped!! Mostly on the same songs, as has been noted by others, usually songs out at the "far end" of the disc. Seemed to happen more with long(er) discs, esp. those w/many tracks.

Then I went after the laser. Got some good lens cleaner, (no alcohol,tyvm), and some very soft, lint-free blahblah cloth, (microfiber), and polished that sucker(#2). No Good! Got a cheezy camera lens cleaner/blower - that round rubber-thing that you squeeze for blowing, that has the dust brush on it. Again, no help!

In the back of my mind there were some threads and comments about skipping pcdp's and lubricating older players, courtesy of Habib, MekanoPlastik, and the OriginalReaper.

Luckily, I have a background in repair of medical devices/eqpt - so I plunged ahead. Removed a dozen small, itty-bitty screws - be careful not to lose them - or that little plastic on/off slider that just fell out!!!

The laser sub-assembly is mounted to 3 posts via 3 rubber-grommets which slide onto the posts. Once I lifted the sub-asmy and unplugged a ribbon, I could turn the thing over and gain access to the rails and gears.

Then I got out my pen-oiler of "Super Lube". This stuff is teflon-based, colorless and almost as clear as water. NO PETROLEUM! I don't like to use any petro based or grease-type lubes, as they have a tendency to thicken or get gummy/tacky over time. I have not found the s'lube to do this or to attract dust. I didn't mind applying the lube liberally to the rails and the gears. The fluid is of a non-conductive nature, and won't "attack" insulation, etc. (I know this is contary to advice from the Audio Redneck...).

Buttoned-it-up and.......
tongue.gif
No More Skips!!!

EC & BB are now free to make beautiful music together!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to One and All!!!

(I only wish I had applied my [non-petro,non-silicone{ZYMOL}] rubber conditioner/preservative to those grommets, which also serve as vibration-dampers!)
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back