SkipDoctor Review
May 11, 2003 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Well, after trying out the SkipDoctor I ordered I ahve come to a couple of conclusions. First, it does NOT take a disc that skips from scratches and make it work. I specifically paid good money for this unit to revitalize some non-working discs I really wanted back in working order. No go. The manual says that you can just keep going over the same area back and forth instead of the whole disc if you have a really bad spot. This didn't work either. Even after repeatedly going over the same area about 15 times. The scratch in question is one that is not radial, but goes along the data rings, so this may explain why it can't be removed. The second thing, this unit is very good at removing scratches that may affect audio quality in ways other than skipping. Dirty, scratched discs tend to rely on error correction too much, and this affects the sound. After using the SkipDoctor and Walker Audio Vivid CD/DVD Enhancer the discs can sound more transparent and have a better soundstage, and a less harsh sound. (More on the Vivid Enhancer later.
biggrin.gif
)

Here's a pair of photos of the same disc (but not the one mentioned above, just a really scratched up one):

BEFORE TREATMENT
Before.JPG

AFTER TREATMENT
After.JPG

This second photo was taken after I had also treated the disc with some Walker Audio Vivid CD/DVD Enhancer, so the much shinier appearance is due to that. The SkipDoctor removed a lot of the scratches from the disc, while the Enhancer is used to give the disc a MUCH more transparent shot at the data underneath the plastic of the CD.

May 11, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 9
The econd disc I treated due to skipping problems on my other CDPs worked in my current one prior to treatment. Here's what it looked like:

BEFORE TREATMENT:
Before2.jpg

AFTER TREATMENT:
After2.JPG

This time the disc worked perfectly before the treatment. The disc was trying to skip, and came quite close, bt never did. After the treatment given by both the SkipDoctor AND Vivid Enhancer, the disc NOW SKIPS!! It is so clean and clear now that the scratch, while lessened, makes MORE of a difference, and skips where it used to before changing CDPs. The frustrating thing is, I can't return the Vivid for my money back since I am in Ecuador!
frown.gif
If I were in the states it would be sent back TODAY! While it does wonders for making discs sound a bit better due to better laser pick-up and lowered error corrections, it now skips easier also. AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

May 11, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I've never been a fan of the skip-doctor for any disc. It can outright ruin some game and DVD discs.

Toothpaste is a cheaper solution to try on skipping discs. I kid you not.

I've found that these techniques work better than the skipdoctor.

May 11, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I am going to try the toothpaste bit on this current CD that started skipping after the Vivid treatment. Hopefull it gets rid of the skips AND allows the Enhancer to do its magic.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the link and idea Sol_Shen.

May 12, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I've used a disk-doctor on quite a few audio and DVD disks that were scratched bad enough to be nearly useless and it cleaned up all the skips (as long as the scratches were only on the bottom.) Don't forget that if there's a scratch, or even just a dent or a rub mark that doesn't actually cut through on the back of the disk all the worlds abrasives and polishing will never repair it.

Ah, just found one of the claims on that "enchancer":

Quote:

Vivid will improve DVD color definition, image sharpness and picture depth.

Translation: "This product is made out of snake oil, and I thank you very much for donating to the Pay-The-Insurance-On-My-New-Sports-Car fund."

May 13, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Skip doctor has fixed all but my worst scratched discs. I split the cost w/ 2 of my buddies, since we only had to fix our old CD's that have been in binders. All my new CD's are safe in the jewel cases.

May 16, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 9
I just found this on the web... snake oil for sure. The only research they've done over the past 3 years is to find a way to rip people off.

VIVID

After 3 years of research, Walker Audio has developed a formula to enhance the playback of CDs and DVDs. Not a re-badged lens cleaner or other repackaged off-the-shelf product, Vivid is based on a proprietary combination of ingredients. They are mixed in-house to exacting tolerances to achieve a 10 to 30% improvement of sound and image reproduction.

Each Vivid kit comes with a four-ounce and one-ounce bottle plus three 2.5 inch round foam applicator pads and six 12.5 x 14.4 inch wipers. Each kit contains enough Vivid to treat 300 to 400 CDs. A CD or DVD need only be treated once unless it becomes dirty from fingerprints or other contaminants.

Vivid removes the mold release agent, cleans the surface and de-statics the CD or DVD in the same application. Its optical enhancer effectively renders the plastic protective coating on the disk transparent to allow the laser to more effectively read the information. You will see and hear more of what is on the disk rather than what the error-correction system interpolates.

Vivid is nonabrasive and won't remove scratches. However, except for very badly damaged CDs, it will make those scratches transparent to the optical reader.

Vivid will improve DVD color definition, image sharpness and picture depth. The sound from CDs will be clearer, with a better focused soundstage of increased depth and width. Bass will be fuller, yet more precise and distinct. High frequencies and harmonics will be less harsh, more defined and natural-sounding.

Vivid CD and DVD Enhancer comes with a performance guarantee. If it does not perform as promised, return the unused portion within 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price.

May 18, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 9
ive used it on some CDs and PS2 games and its worked over 75% of the time which makes me think that its totally worth it.maybe youre using too much spray. (only use 1-2 sprays per disk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back