Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Jul 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #796 of 1,671
In more cheerful news, this is making the rounds on the first page of the Portable Headphones forum
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726569/review-tour-somic-mh412-viper4android-the-put-up-or-shut-up-review-and-tour

Interesting stuff going on there, I suppose you corrected for 6-8 kHz ear canal resonance, or..? I mean that varies from person to person after all.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #797 of 1,671
I would like to take this moment to thank you all for being paragons of sanity in the often wildly misguided world of HiFi.  I can only stomach reading so many recommendations for tube amps and $500 cables, or 6moons reviews describing my headphones as being "dark and chewy" before my brain starts leaking out of my ears.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #799 of 1,671
I would like to take this moment to thank you all for being paragons of sanity in the often wildly misguided world of HiFi.  I can only stomach reading so many recommendations for tube amps and $500 cables, or 6moons reviews describing my headphones as being "dark and chewy" before my brain starts leaking out of my ears.

I never trusted 6moons' so-called "reviews." They always seems like a bunch of baloney; I'm surprised some people actually read and believe them... :/

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #800 of 1,671
This is the best 6moons review ever...
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/edge3/edge3.html

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #803 of 1,671
Look legit IMO Everybody should use Dark Matter to clean their CDs to ensure no foreign materials could have seeped through the CDs after every playthrough.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #804 of 1,671
Look legit IMO Everybody should use Dark Matter to clean their CDs to ensure no foreign materials could have seeped through the CDs after every playthrough.

Forget selling dark matter to suckers, they should submit their findings to the Nobel Committee. Proof of the existence of dark matter is an instant $1.2M to accompany the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #805 of 1,671
I think selling it to audiophiles around the world would net them higher revenue than just 1.2 mil, possibly

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #807 of 1,671
  for CDs, jitter is about the only thing you have to worry about. But there are algorithms to deal with that.

If you mean jitter reading the CD (causing skips and stutter), that is mostly not a problem on newer drives. I found that cheap DVD-RW drives in PCs can read audio CDs correctly at full speed with no software error correction, unless the disk is bad. Although the errors might indeed be fixed by algorithms in the firmware. An old CD-ROM drive I had in the 1990s did require software jitter correction.

Jitter on the DAC output should not be an audible issue with competently designed hardware.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #810 of 1,671
  I would think the information is buffered before processing, so the CD is just to read and buffered so that there is not timing issues of reading the bits straight from the CD.

Yet, you still need some kind of processing to determine whether you got all the bits correct eg. to avoid jitter. A buffer gives more room for corrections, doesn't correct by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back