Skepticism
Aug 31, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 34
In what field? Religious scepticism (in which case this thread is a non-starter) or scepticism towards the paranormal?

If the latter, then my views fall sternly in line with those of the James Randi Foundation. In particular their "million dollar challenge". If these powers and abilities exist, then somebody would have claimed the prize. Simple.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 34
All of you are right in essence.

I'm getting at the point of scientific skepticism. Religious skepticism (this isn't a religious thread; no debate will occur within this thread), Critical Thinking, Paranormal skepticism, the likes of that.

And stewtheking, I'm personally waiting for the headline "Psychic banned from lottery on grounds on consecutive wins" =p

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 34
I am skeptical about whether this thread will last throughout the day without making a turn for the worse and getting locked

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 34
I have a feeling no one in this thread knows what he or she is talking about...

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 34
P: All of you Aussies and Kiwis are misspelling skepticism with a K.

If you believe that P is true or that P is false, you are not a skeptic in matters of Ausso-Kiwi spelling. If you believe that we cannot say whether P is true or false, or if you believe that we cannot say whether we can say that P is true or false, then you are a skeptic in these matters and also very likely failed the first grade.

Eric

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 34
Always skeptical. Show me proof please.
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 34
Do not mix the concepts of thoughts or ideals and actually thinking about something.

In other words:

Some people are just so impulsive that they think that having a though or ideal is actually thinking about something. And some people are so afraid of thinking so that they take to being skeptical about everything just to keep from having to work at critical thinking. Being simply opposed to something is easy while working through the logic of an issue requires work. This addresses critical thinking or the lack thereof and skepticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back