Skeptical about the difference high end DAPs make...
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Peculier

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently using an iPhone 3GS 16GB, with a cheap LOD and an amp, and I am looking to upgrade my portable rig. (I use TripleFi 10s) but I am skeptical as to how much of a difference a high end DAP (which I am willing to buy, if the improvement is substantial) will make on the sound quality of my music, which is all in Apple Lossless or 320kbps. Another reason why I'm unsure about switching from my iPhone to another DAP is because the iPhone's user interface is very smooth and slick, as well as being easy to use, as with most Apple products, and I am unsure if the UIs on DAPs like the Hifiman 801 or Colorfly C4 or even the Sansa clips are on par with Apple's UI. Aesthetically I am not terribly concerned about how the DAP looks, and I don't mind having to carry around an iPhone, a separate DAP, and an amp when on the go.

Anyone care to help convince me to buy a new DAP? I've looked at many Cowon players and high end players like the HiFiman and Colorfly players, but can't really make up my mind whether its worth it. Suggestions on good DAPs are also welcomed.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 19

I don't think any of them have an incredibly slick UI apart from perhaps the new iBasso DX100 or Sony Z1070 which use Android.

If you prefer a more vintage / analog sound then you can shoot for the Hifiman HM-802.

Cowon, Zune and Sansa are not high-end DAP's.

The Colorfly C3, C4, CK4 and CK5 are a bit unknown around here, not sure what they're like.

The Teclast T51 is good however has had some issues in quality control.

High-end DAP's are for portable use, the sound quality improvement isn't quite equal to desktop audio.

You may want to buy a cheaper DAP like the Sony Z1050 or Hifiman HM-601, and spend the rest on a high-end IEM or custom-IEM, which will reward you with more sound quality return.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 19
from my personal experience... there is no big difference at all

DAPs i own ipod touch g2 , ipod nano g3 , ipod classic g2 , sansa clip+ , hifiman 602  and a T51

Amplifiers E11 and a Cmoy

DAC Yulong D100

the differences between all DAPs and even my DAC is so small that I sometimes have the feeling that most people are posting about voodoo, i tested all my gear with some cheap Klipsch S4 , T50rp, Unique Miracles and K701s.

If i would buy a new DAP now i would go for runtime , UI and the aesthetical factor only.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 19

So you think the difference in sound between T51 and HM-602 is voodoo?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 19
well the t51 seems to be neutral while the hm602 seems to be colored what you would call it , the bass sounds weird with like no decay on the hm602 and the treble seems to be harsher on the t51 with the k701.

yet the soundstage is not changing nor the clarity or details.

there is no night and day difference period and if i wouldnt like test in AB test i would probably dont even recognize what player iam listening to.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 19
Well actually I had the HM-601, and thought it sounded 'very' different to the T51, I say very in respect to the typical difference in sound between sources, it would be very easy in a blind-test.

If you're using an amplifier and K701 perhaps the difference is less, not sure, or you listen to / analyse the type of sound which doesn't change very much in sources.

Edit:  Just re-read your post, the T51 versus HM-601/2 should have different soundstage, try an IEM.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 19
I spent a good part of this afternoon listening to Ipod Classic (lossless) >>> Firestone Cute amp >>> Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (600 Ohm), and I was amazed at the sound quality.  I can't imagine it can better than this without sharply diminishing marginal returns.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 19
for my ears , there seems to be only changes in either lows or highs and those changes are never wrong , if i listen to breakstep, dub, folk, rock it seems always right

soundstage , clarity seems to be only changing with my phones

i will prolly sell everything i have and just keep my clip and buy a J3 or something.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 19
HM 802 ????? is that new?

Quote:

I don't think any of them have an incredibly slick UI apart from perhaps the new iBasso DX100 or Sony Z1070 which use Android.

If you prefer a more vintage / analog sound then you can shoot for the Hifiman HM-802.

Cowon, Zune and Sansa are not high-end DAP's.

The Colorfly C3, C4, CK4 and CK5 are a bit unknown around here, not sure what they're like.

The Teclast T51 is good however has had some issues in quality control.

High-end DAP's are for portable use, the sound quality improvement isn't quite equal to desktop audio.

You may want to buy a cheaper DAP like the Sony Z1050 or Hifiman HM-601, and spend the rest on a high-end IEM or custom-IEM, which will reward you with more sound quality return.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
for my ears , there seems to be only changes in either lows or highs and those changes are never wrong , if i listen to breakstep, dub, folk, rock it seems always right

soundstage , clarity seems to be only changing with my phones

i will prolly sell everything i have and just keep my clip and buy a J3 or something.

It will change much more with 'phones, hence my recommendation for him to get something like Sony Z1050 and spend the rest on 'phones, preferrably only 1, JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, JH Audio JH11, etc...

Quote:
HM 802 ????? is that new?

Yes.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 19
Actually the Iphone/Idevice DAC implementations are pretty damn decent already, there is little reason to go for an upgrade but if you do, like kiteki said, the Sony Z walkmans make a very, very fine choice(used one with TF10). The interface and cover art stuff are very nice to use and if you need, there is that LOD for the sony to connect to other amps like the ipod. Improvements downstream(amp/headgear) matter more.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
It will change much more with 'phones, hence my recommendation for him to get something like Sony Z1050 and spend the rest on 'phones, preferrably only 1, JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, JH Audio JH11, etc...

Yes.

not out until May , yet people here know what it sounds like?!

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back