Skateboard-Fi
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #166 of 261
hope Longboards count. My LDP set up as well as daily rider Roe Racing Mermaid (medium flex) 4.3 bennet upfront and 105 Seismic back with medium green springs and Lime BigZigs all around...last time I went on a ride could keep 10mph average over 20 mile ride not bad...need to get better haha.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #169 of 261
New REAL Skateboards dvd released on 11th April 2011.  I cant wait.

http://www.realskateboards.com/road/#road11
http://www.dlxsf.com/lostdays/

I read on Wikipedia that "On 2/17/09, the company was lost in a bet to Giovanni Reda. New ownership lasted for approximately 4 minutes, before Peter Ramondetta nollie inward heelflipped the company back to its proper owners." which made me smile.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #170 of 261
Amaberry, it's Wing :p.

Checking in as a longboard rider. They're considered skateboards anyways. 

Soviet how much do you weigh? I'm thinking of getting a flexier LDP board because my Gravity DT is pretty lightweight in the flex department, so it feels pretty stiff to me. Not to say I can't pull off 20 mile ventures on it.

May 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #171 of 261

Quote:
hope Longboards count. My LDP set up as well as daily rider Roe Racing Mermaid (medium flex) 4.3 bennet upfront and 105 Seismic back with medium green springs and Lime BigZigs all around...last time I went on a ride could keep 10mph average over 20 mile ride not bad...need to get better haha.

Oh boy... where do I start? I designed for Roe. I did the Roe Unlimited model.

Google me... Gilmour + ( these terms.. slalom or skateboard)

I spec'd Abec 11's first slalom wheel as well as Turner Downhill's first slalom wheel. I designed the winningest wheel in slalom racing The Avalon (won more races than all other wheels combined).

In 1993 I won a  Silver Medal from the French and Spanish olympic committees for Downhill speedboarding.

In 1995 I broke the Guinness Book of World records for 100 cone slalom (a record that stood for nearly 20 years until I broke it)

In 2000 I won the Slalom skateboard Nationals. And for a lark I competed against X-Games winner Lee Danzie in the third photo down you can see I am ahead of Lee D. but lost it at the turn...

http://www.buttboarding.com/Events/2000-11_WLAC/2000-11_WLA.htm

In 2002 I won the World Longboard Championships- first World Championship title..

I coached Wentzle Ruml IV in racing- an original Dogtown Z-boy, not a particularly great racer at all, in fact relatively slow because he just doesn't listen...but he did a good job talking about skateboarding in the Dogtown and Z-boys documentary. 2 summers ago I set the race courses up at camp Woodward and wrote the racing manual.

Look guys... most of the skateboards you show here... well if they were headphones they would be...welllll....errr.... koss porta pro 2's (sorry 
tongue_smile.gif
) . They get the job done... but are not particularly  interesting at all...  good for 3am skating to the convenience store to pick up milk and a frozen pizza...but that is about it. The real boards, trucks, wheels are a bit like head-fi.. not so available to the average person.

I love designing things.. wheels, decks, even helping with truck design....

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/pvdtrucks.htm

and ... there is INSANE product synergy in skateboarding... put together great stuff wrong and you get garbage performance. Put together reasonable good stuff well...and it can perform better than it reasonably should.. Put great stuff together right..well.. it's ethereal.

That's not to say you can not ride average stuff well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KFljAplE5wE

I went to Chris Chaputs 50th birthday a few weeks ago and chatted with these kids.. they make it fun. I even got Chaput into headphones....

I have an amazing downhill stick... custom made for me by Bob Turner- the Ultimate Master board craftsman of all time. Carbon fiber....- special glass and epoxy, computerized custom foam (special software to make foam this way and bake it by Clark foam), it was the only Downhill board Bob Turner every produced.. amazing and as perfect as a Stradivarius. It can not be improved upon. I won the Silver medal on it.

I'm a far far far far better snowboarder (freecarving) than skateboarder in terms of others in the skill pool and I feel in terms of audio tuning my skills are similar, I do some of the best audio tuning....but you have to start with a  good room.

Come to my Headphone event this coming Saturday in Venice May 7th.... and maybe we can go for a skate too. I have Infinity Reference Standard speakers. If you come I'll show you a mindblowing snowboard video of me with 2 busted ankles, a torn achilles, gastronemius, soleus muscles on a 6 year old broken powder board with broken bindings fixed with beach sandals and duct tape and old soft snowboard boots...laying  it over at speed.... and it will only be half speed... when healthy I can do it at 70+mph..

I am not an athlete... (I was picked last in sports at my school ...consistently ) just a below average person (5'10") with well below average strength (Perhaps 30% of that of a regular person- multiple injuries and surgeries)  and about average reflexes...I have almost no endurance ..really..... I'm overweight at 22-29% body fat.. I have no formal design experience, was a below average student (tons of C-'s and D+'s...-schoolwork was boring with very few A's) ... very high board scores- classic under achiever.

I do not train- for ANYTHING...sometimes I just practice at the actual competitions and not in between for months or even years.  BUT>>>>When I practice I  DO pay EXTREMELY CLOSE attention when I do things.

I also think about what I do.. in depth... whether its audio, skateboarding, snowboarding, or designing- I model things in my head.

I suck at surfing..really bad....but Iike that I suck at surfing...I feel it is almost useless to pay attention to surfing because each wave is different

May 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #172 of 261
Impressive stuff... My gear pretty much sucks right now... Clutch Lambchop set up with Indy 169s... Super low ride, so nice for freeriding, when paired with 81a Flashbacks... Hoping to get some indeesz some time...

May 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #173 of 261
Im starting to skate now the weather is getting better & will be using a Flip Popsicle deck with Venture High trucks which I took out for a spin.

The wheels I found were too hard for riding on pavements & I am looking to get a softer set of wheels that I'm hoping will be more forgiving.  Would you recommend 78a duro for pavement/street riding for a beginner? Ideally I would like something that skips over cracks in the pavements/sidewalks slightly. The wheels I have at the moment almost throw me off the board when I hit a crack or tiny stone.

Something like this be ok? Krytonics 78a duro 59mm diameter.

Quote:
 I designed the winningest wheel in slalom racing The Avalon (won more races than all other wheels combined).

May 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #174 of 261
Golden Ears, what a fine track record you have!

And 78a is a nice duro for hanging out and just going over rough stuff. Personally, the Gravity 74a burners are what I use, but you may need risers for your deck.

May 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #175 of 261
Thanks for the info!

After measuring up my trucks fitted to the board I think 62mm diameter wheels should be big enough without getting wheelbite.  Otherwise I will have to get some risers.

Will get some cheap Krytonics wheels for now, further down the line when I improve, I can splash out on more expensive ones.

Quote:
And 78a is a nice duro for hanging out and just going over rough stuff. Personally, the Gravity 74a burners are what I use, but you may need risers for your deck.

May 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #177 of 261
Skateboarding isn't about what board/wheels/trucks you own/want to buy/should be buying, we have headphones for that. It's about going out there and having fun :)

Summer's coming up, have fun guys :)

May 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #178 of 261
I'm trying to ollie at the moment so I can cruise around the streets.

Have you got any tips or links to videos that will help?

Thanks!

Quote:
Skateboarding isn't about what board/wheels/trucks you own/want to buy/should be buying, we have headphones for that. It's about going out there and having fun :)

Summer's coming up, have fun guys :)

May 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #179 of 261
Golden Ears is the real deal. I was able to go to his Venice meet last weekend. Not only did I enjoy a great day of audio, I bought a great longboard from him. He definitely knows his stuff, and after watching some of his sick snowboarding videos, I know he can back it up.

But........ like Aart said, it's all about having fun. Use what you got, wherever you are, and get out there!!!

May 13, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #180 of 261

Quote:
I'm trying to ollie at the moment so I can cruise around the streets.

Have you got any tips or links to videos that will help?

Thanks!

Understanding how an ollie works should speed up the learning process.
First step is to slam the board's tail to the ground, I think this is where most people learning how to ollie make most mistakes. You have to slam the tail so that your back wheels get off the ground, at this point, your tail is still touching the ground. You can easily see how this work when you get off the board and push the tail with your hand, if you press with the right amount of force you'll see that theres a moment that even the back wheels leave the ground. This is the moment you are looking for.
Heres how people do it wrong, they press their tail to the ground while still leaving some weight on their front foot, this is bad. The motion you make has to be equal to standin on one legg, on your toes and jumping, _ALL_ your weight is on the back foot toe's. The front foot is only there to guide.

Anyway, remember the moment you were looking for? The moment your back wheels leave the ground for an instance? Invision the position of your board at this moment:
- Your nose is straight in the air.
- Tail is (close to) touching the ground
- Back wheels are not touching the ground

You need to use your front foot to guide the back of the board to get to the same height as the nose of the board. Good thing skateboards provide us with a little something called griptape. Remember? That black stuff on the top of your board that messes up your shoes? That's what we are gonna use to get the tail to the level of the nose.
Slide your foot in an upwards direction over the board, your foot is tweaked at this point, you are sliding with the "outer side" of your foot, not with your foot sole.

Cliffs:
1. Stomp the tail: You pretty much do a one legged jump, on your toes.
2. Level out board with front foot: At this point there is no weight on either foot, you are actually in the middle of that one legged jump
3. Have fun, cruise full speed and ollie anything in sight. A well executed ollie at full speed looks better (and feels better) than a sloppy 360 flip :wink:

I'm getting myself a longboard this weekend, gonna try cruisin' to work with it on monday :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back