Size of SA6 in-ear?
Apr 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sir Nobax

500+ Head-Fier
Hellow there fellow head-fi'ers and ofcourse the Sleek Audio Crew
smile.gif
I am currently thinking about getting some new IEM's since the 3.5mm-connector-housing of my Aurvana's is loose and slowly getting even looser (damn you ultra-tight 3.5mm jack sockets). I am now considering either the Shure E530's or Sleek Audio's SA6. I haven't heard them but my guess it that the Shure are 'better' SQ-wise, however they are pretty big and I prefer "earbud style" (cable down), so thats bringing me to the SA6's.

I have searched about every SA6 review for some pictures how the SA6 look like when inserted with the cable down, except for these pictures I had no success. Both pictures seem "off".

no_SA6_inear.jpg

[size=xx-small] Where are the IEM's ? Only the cables in ear ?
confused.gif
[/size]

SA6_not_inserted_far_enough.jpg

[size=xx-small]Not inserted far enough ?[/size]

Notice the difference between these pictures.

Is it possible for someone to post a few 'in-ear' pictures (preferable with cable down) to get an impression how 'low profile' these are. That would be great.
Thanks.
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 9
The first two pictures are correct the last one was clearly done so it would show off the SA6, it's quite a small iem as it's a single driver. As for sq i would say the sleeks would be better but the shure would have more punch lower down though you can tune the SA6 to your preference.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi Nobax

I wear the SA6 cable down and am using the largest flange at the moment (you get 3 pairs of different size with the SA6). With the largest flange, the SA6 rear does protrude out a bit for me (not as much as the last pic though), but not enough that would prevent you from resting your head. With the smaller flange I could probably insert it deeper but I don't because the seal and isolation are good enough. Some people also say the Shure black olive foam tips work very well with the SA6, perhaps those would go even deeper into the ear.

As for which is better, SE530 vs SA6, I haven't heard both, perhaps the SE530 might be a bit better in some aspects, like bass impact and ability to not get congested in complex polyphonic passages because of its multi-driver build. From what I have read, the SA6 has more sense of treble detail.
The SA6 is very good IMO and 100$ cheaper, has a detachable cable, and has a very musical yet detailed sound. Never harsh or sibilant in the treble but not rolled off either, plenty of sparkle up top. The midrange is very good, probably its best feature to my ears, and the bass is not bloated.

I think Kees had some pics in his original review thread of the IEM inserted in his ears.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 9
The SE530s have better bass and mids, while the SA6 have clearer highs. Overall, the SA6 shouldn't disappoint anyone seeing as they're like half the price of the SE530s and can compete with them just as well. That's my personal opinion.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Wow, thanks for your comments guys.
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. I think Kees had some pics in his original review thread of the IEM inserted in his ears.
Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ofcourse!
Ill have an search for his review.

Quote:

The SE530s have better bass and mids, while the SA6 have clearer highs. Overall, the SA6 shouldn't disappoint anyone seeing as they're like half the price of the SE530s and can compete with them just as well. That's my personal opinion.

I greatly enjoy clear mid's with some sparkle where appropriate. A 'big' low-end isn't so much of a priority, since my current rig is quite mild on the low end and I like it that way (as long as 'its there'). However, the most important thing in my opinion is a (very) wide, possibly open, soundstage. (I totally dislike crossfeed) My EP630's sound 'ok', but their poor 2D soundstage totally ruins the music I am playing on them. One time I even double checked the headphone connection, and the source material if it wasn't mono recorded, but it wasn't.

But regarding SQ, none of it would matter if I would hate to plug in my 'huge' IEM's every time, letting them sticking out my ears like it where headphones. I like an low profile, when I see someone wear his earphones upside down (Shure style) I already alienate them myself
frown.gif
, I dont know, it just looks wrong.

By the way, the price isn't much of a difference in my case. The Sleek SA6's cost about 195 Euro and the Shure's are available for 245 Euro. (both shipped) Also hifiheadphones.co.uk (the only EU webshop I know of which supplies them, although, there is an french one, but I don't understand their language
redface.gif
) don't have the SA6 in stock, but I'll send them an email regarding that today.

[Edit] I just noticed SoundEarphones.com temporarily carries the SA6 at a reduced price for head-fi members. Even with +20% customs duty (I think it would be 20%, right? I ain't much of a 'foreign shopper'
redface.gif
) the price is about 160 Euro (not sure about shipping).
[Edit2] Hmm, never mind. The reduced cost only counts for the older version without the 'upgraded durability'. Since they come from pretty far, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it will, possibly, save some stress in the future. (still, the 2009's are alot cheaper then at hifiheadphones, 140E excl. duty vs 195E )
[Edit3 (lol)] I just ordered them
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh no, i just received my SA6's. But they have clearly been used.
mad.gif

The seal of the package (the one with the earphones inside, which was in an other package) was broken, there where scratches on the traveling case, glue on one of the earphones and the silcon's seemed dirty.

Awww
frown.gif
Well, most does not bother me, except the glue on the earphones does, since its possibly compromising my ability to claim warranty when something happens.
Sending the whole package back to Soundearphones will be an PITA and i am not sure if it want to go through that trouble.
mad.gif

[edit] They sound bloody awesome though
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back