Sixth Head-Fi Sydney Meet: Sunday 26th October
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #482 of 643
The Lavry is on its merry way to Japan and I'm sourceless
frown.gif
I am going on exchange next semester and am considering toning down my rig so that I can take it with!

I'll delay the sale of the HD650 Equinox until after the meet though and I'm still bringing the RS-1 along.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #483 of 643
Well everyone, the time has come to unveil a bit of a surprise that me, qusp and stevenkelby have been working on for this meet
evil_smiley.gif

To celebrate the biggest sydney meet so far, and to assist with funding the meet, we are holding a raffle.
beerchug.gif

Everyone who attends will recieve one ticket to go in the running to win a prize of their choice from the prize pool. Additional tickets will be purchasable at $5 each, to a maximum of 7 tickets - or $30 - per person, with all funds raised going towards the costs of shipping demo gear/air con for the meet. Any excess funds from the raffle will go towards the after-meet dinner for anyone interested in attending
smily_headphones1.gif

The first two prizes are iPod-LOD cables, made by qusp:

*Low profile LOD with 22AWG 7N jena labs cryo copper and 6N 20AWG cryo silver, using a neutrik right-angle mini:

Glamour Shot
lowprofilesolo.jpg

Low profile LOD in use
lowprofileinuse.jpg

*18AWG Jena Labs 7N cryo copper w/20AWG 6N cryo silver:

Glamour Shot
bigsolo.jpg

Full size LOD in use
biginuse.jpg

Pico, IEM and iPod shown not included

In addition to these insanely-overbuilt audiophile-worthy LODs, stevenkelby will be bringing a Bijou 3 IEM, hippocase, a LOD and mini interconnect of his own making to add to the prize pool. And there may be a few surprise items in the prize pool on the day, as well...

Prizes will be awarded at the end of the event, and the winners can choose whichever item they wish as their prize. We thought this would be a fun way to finance the event, reward our attendees, and shamelessly plug the talents of our two cable builders
smily_headphones1.gif

See you all next weekend.
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #484 of 643
nice plug covenant teehee
evil_smiley.gif

One thing; I forgot to mention that these LOD's will work on ANY ipod; 3G and upwards including the iphone 3G and 2G touch; so as to make them accessible for anyone owning an apple dap made this century to use if they win
smily_headphones1.gif
and of course steve will be bringing a mini to mini, so we have pretty much everyone including the luddite's from the other side covered
wink.gif
. unless someone has a portable solution with spdif of course. but where are they anyway
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #485 of 643
Ooohhhh.... niiiiice!!!

Just let me say that I'm rather excited
atsmile.gif

Damn, those cables look pretty... if I don't win one, I may just have to buy one from one of you two.
They're nice and finished, unlike a lot of my projects. I often don't get around to putting the finishing touches on things
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #486 of 643
holy crap qusp~! that is one FIIINEEE looking LOD!

ps, how did that sale go with the guy i referred to you?

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #487 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismohks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy crap qusp~! that is one FIIINEEE looking LOD!

ps, how did that sale go with the guy i referred to you?

good I ship to him on monday thanks man
biggrin.gif

thanks everyone I try my best. and yes i'm pretty anal/obsessive about finishing
biggrin.gif
the low profile connector casing is scratch-built out of epoxy putty; I wasn't happy with the results from just modifying an existing one

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #488 of 643
Hey BTW guys how easy is it to get from the cross to canterbury? i'm wanting to buy myself one of the pelican cases for my rig from Digital Camera Warehouse; they're sweet cases wit a lifetime guaranty they are water proof, bouyant (handy for when you go scuba diving with your rig
icon10.gif
), they are padded on the inside, crush proof and have a pressure release valve for flying, this hole could be drilled out and replaced with a female mini so you can connect your phones on the outside. plus they look really sweet. not bad pricing really either, the most expensive is $39AUD. i'm deciding whether to wait till I get down there or pony up with the $9 shipping to get it here ready to mod and bring with me on the plane. Of course if I waited I wouldn't be able to get it till the monday after the meet ;(

This one maybe big enough for my ipod/iphone + amp and phones but not all of them
Pelican Camera 1040 Micro Case
pel1050.jpg

Pelican Camera 1030 Micro Case
This one would be perfect for a nano or similar size DAP plus amp and IEMS
pel1030.jpg

Pelican Camera 1050 Micro Case
this one is probably just big (tall) enough to fit both DIYMOD and iphone_+pico and IEMS
pelicancase.jpg

tossing up between these and the hippocase (maybe the thirsty al at a pinch they sell them too) but this would definately have the edge on protection and if I can mount a mini jack in it then it'll be perfect
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
the idea being to turn it into the ultmate portable line out dock (w/ large caps perhaps in another case inside; maybe even see if I can incorporate the shure iphone adapter into it for a remote to skip tracks etc without opening it. wow i'm letting my mind get carried away on this one. HMMMMMM
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #490 of 643
Hm I know this sounds like a long-shot, but who wants to trade their Pico for a balanced tube amp + a tiny bit of cash?

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #491 of 643
Here are glamour shots of the two cables that stevenkelby will be contributing to the raffle:

*3x 22G Jena iPod LOD, Neutrik black body/gold tip, full charging and syncing USB port, iphone OK:

IMG_3101.jpg

*6x 22G Jena mini interconnect, Canare F12s:

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

Geez @ the 6-wire braid. Cat owners, this is the perfect mini interconnect for you - just watch Mr Bigglesworth try and chew his way through that
eek.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #492 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm I know this sounds like a long-shot, but who wants to trade their Pico for a balanced tube amp + a tiny bit of cash?

no chance lol
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #494 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting to Cantebury would be 2 trains from the Cross, it'd take about 40 minutes or so.

thanks elliot; hmm 40mins, thats more than $9 worth of my time, but being able to test out the different sizes for fit etc. is a real bonus.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #495 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha I think it's a pretty good deal for anyone who wants to go balanced :p

yeah for sure it is, but I already have a balanced interface at home; def a good deal for anyone that it suits. although with the waiting list the way it is the person would have to either not like the SQ or have already bought themselves an upgrade after having the pico for a while. perhaps someone who is moving away from portable solutions; the opposite of what you're doing.

besides I only just got my baby and I love it
wink.gif
but i'm sure you weren't aiming the question at me anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back