Sixth Head-Fi Sydney Meet: Sunday 26th October
Oct 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #467 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows is a B**** to connect to. It took me half an hour just to set up my friend's network with his mac and pc.

weird in my 20 odd years of computing i've never had a problem connecting from mac to pc; pc to mac uggghhh!! I'd rather not talk about it.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #468 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
weird in my 20 odd years of computing i've never had a problem connecting from mac to pc; pc to mac uggghhh!! I'd rather not talk about it.

I think you misunderstood what I said. Mac to PC is just a few clicks away. The B**** I'm talking about is PC to mac.
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #469 of 643
I could never get mine (running gentoo) and my parents' pc (running XP home) to talk to each other, even iTunes couldn't see an iTunes share on the other PC. Then I installed the Unix tools package on Windows and I can now use NFS between all the computers in the house =) no messing with samba or windows file sharing.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #470 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you misunderstood what I said. Mac to PC is just a few clicks away. The B**** I'm talking about is PC to mac.
tongue.gif

aha... I concur
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #471 of 643
Update my list I just sold my Vintage RS1 so I can't bring it and I just ordered a Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10JPN if it arrive in time I will bring it. I hope notebook that u guys are bringing have optical out cause my Headroom Desktop Balanced amp sound better using the optical than the usb cable.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #472 of 643
so should i bring my hub? :p

ive got an old netgear 8port hub gathering dust hahaha

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #474 of 643
I am very much against the idea of setting up a LAN. While it will make music sharing and whatnot easier... guys, this is going to be a 30-odd person meet. You've seen the gearlist. Every available square of space is going to get taken up by amps, power cords, interconnects, sources, dacs, headphones, adapters, tips, and every other manner of accessory.

If we add network cables and hubs to that as well, it will be a sea of cables that will not only hinder movement, but will increase the likelihood that someone will trip over one and hurt themselves/drag equipment off tables and damage it.

No LAN. Use external drives and USB storage.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #477 of 643
oh well the lan idea sounded good but covenants right I mean i'v enever been there before but with 30+ people and all the gear its already going to be a nightmare sorting all that s%$t out. and could easily distract from the important stuff ....music and its source

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #478 of 643
yer thats true, theres not much available desk space there.

everyone remember to virus scan your usb drives! my comp just got infected by a mate's usb thumb drive....

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #479 of 643
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No LAN. Use external drives and USB storage.

Good directive.

If people really want to access files from another machine without cables or USB they can set up a WLAN or use ad-hoc sharing via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or infra-red - but they'll likely waste precious time doing it.

Things will go a lot quicker if people just bring a USB stick (formatted with the FAT filesystem so every OS can read it) and they load their favourite test tracks on it before they get to the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back