Sitting here waiting for my PPX3-Slam to be delivered!
Mar 28, 2006 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
After some hard times, I sold my first Slam, vowing that I would get another one! Well, yesterday I came home to find a delivery attemt from the PO, and it was from Colorada!!!
tongue.gif

This baby has the BlackGates this time, and the 6sn7 gain socket. They must be doing something right over at SinglePower, to make me go out and buy another one! Just pure bliss, I hope I canget some sleep tonight!
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 16
Congrats on your reacquisition of the Slam! I, too, am looking for a parcel from SP (see sig). Waiting is such a bi$$h!

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Yes. I have a paucity of space, and I usually sell units I should keep. Not enough room. Some of us are lucky enough to have a dedicated room and keep everything. Though, I must admit, I love buying and selling.

Yes!!
tongue.gif
I agree totally!!

What a mighty familiar scenario!!
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 16
I love a 6SN7 in the gain position and two 5687s for outputs. Of all the tube combinations I've tried on my MPX3 Slam, it's definitely my favorite.

I've also noticed that using different brand tubes in that same combo can still have a pretty big impact on the sound. It's taken quite a bit a tube rolling to find my favorites, but the music is fantastic now. I just wish the good NOS 6SN7s were a little cheaper than they are!

Singlepower rocks! Enjoy your amp.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i'm really interested in hearing your opinion of the black gates. if they make a significant positive difference my slam might be going back to colorado for an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I'm in the long breakin phase, but things are sounding really clean so far. Unfortunately, I only have my SA5000's on hand right now, as I'm doing a bit of can shuffling at the moment!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i'm really interested in hearing your opinion of the black gates. if they make a significant positive difference my slam might be going back to colorado for an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard that black gates take like 20 hours to warm up. Does the SS part of the amp stayed powered up, since you prolly won't leave the tubes on constantly? cuz this could cause a problem.

I have the Sony XA777ES with mods including black gates and if I turn it off, it takes forever to smooth out.

Just wondering. I'm considering this amp down the road.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 16
hmmmm.... black gates....

I'd also like to know what improvements are heard with this upgrade. Which tubes did you opt for?

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Is there anywhere to go online to get Single Power base pricing? Specifically Supra (and Supra balanced)?

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Is there anywhere to go online to get Single Power base pricing? Specifically Supra (and Supra balanced)?

Not sure if the site is up to date or not.
www.singlepoweraudio.com
You can always just call Mikhail, he is never to far from the phone. The numbers are on the website. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Not sure if the site is up to date or not.
www.singlepoweraudio.com
You can always just call Mikhail, he is never to far from the phone. The numbers are on the website. Good luck!

Thanks Tom. Found base for single-end, but not balanced. I also do not see preamp out listed as an option for Supra?

Right now I'm dreaming, so I hate to bother Mikhail unless I get more serious.

I've always wanted a tube amp (for 2ch), reviews of these products now make me WANT ONE for headphones!

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 16
I think you are wrong my man.
Honestly I dont think there is any option/upgrade that is not possible for the SUPRA amp. even if its not listed, dont forget Mikhail is making Custom amps, thats the big thing about him, anyway dont detrmine facts before you ask Mikhail, he is one hell of a man to deal/talk with.

About hte pricing, there was a review by 6moons that mentioned most of his amps base prices:
MPX3: $849
Supra: $1,699.
Maestro: $3,200.
But I dont think at this level anyone would take a basic amp, the customize is what makes those amps really stand apart from the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back