Sitar Concerto, Rhaga's etc.
Aug 28, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GIGANTOID

100+ Head-Fier
I find these very relaxing and engaging. It must be all the electronic and IDM music I listen to. Currently enjoying...

Ravi Shankar - At The Woodstock Festival - Tabla Solo in Jhaptal
Ravi Shankar - Monterey Pop Festival - Dhun!
Ravi Shankar (1998) - Sitar Concertos and Other Works
Ravi Shankar (1990) - Inside The Kremlin

Can anyone reccomend another artist, recording I might enjoy based on these sparse tracks?

Thanks

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 5
My my, you have quite good taste! Moondog on your avatar, and a post about other Hindu classical musicians. Nice!

Anyway, I would definitely check out Vilayat Khan. He's one of the best Hindu musicians of the 20th century. Check out "Raga Bhairavi" (released in 1991, I believe). That should give you a good introduction to him.

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Shanker's two Sitar Concertos are incredibly well-structured and well-conceived works -- genuine dialogues between North Indian and Western classical music, rather than fashionable fusion. EMI has packed Shanker's works with western classical musicians into a two-for-one set and has released it under their Germini series -- the beautiful piece for sitar and flute, written for J.P. Rampal, is worth the price alone.

Another interesting project is Passage by Shanker and Philip Glass. I think a more proper title for this work is "Variation on a Theme by Shanker" -- Shanker does not perform here, but provide a theme that Glass developed into a work for chamber orchestra.

If you're interested in North Indian classical music, you've a wide world ahead of you. Try to listen to different instruments -- some suggestions:

Vilayat Khan -- Sitar
Ali Akbar Khan -- Sarod
Shivkumar Sharmar -- Santoor
Sultan Khan -- Sarangi

Good resources can be found at the home page of Navras Records, unfortunately the site seems to be down. Nimbus has a large catalog of North Indian music which sometimes turns up in Berkshire Record Outlet at wonderful prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back