Siri and Google Voice Integration
Nov 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Butler

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone.

So I'm upgrading my 3GS to a 4S. I was considering getting a Galaxy Nexus because of andriod's Google Voice integration. I am pretty attached to Google Voice whereas I refuse to pay the ripoff prices that carriers want to transfer a couple kilobytes of information known as texting.

But alas I didn't. I have too many awesome iOS applications to give up, that, and Siri. But mostly, Siri. So here's my question for you Apple Geniuses:

I understand that you can text through Siri and make calls through Siri but this would be going through my actual phone line and I really want to avoid this. Do you know of any ways to be able to text and, less importantly, dial out using my google voice number through Siri? I don't mind jailbreaking to get it done and am familiar with the process.

Also: inb4 waiting for Siri API and Google cooperating.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I never even thought of this. I don't have an iPhone, a dumb phone, but this is an interesting question. May I ask is there a reason you don't want avoid using Siri through the phone line? Is it because of Data? 

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
...I understand that you can text through Siri and make calls through Siri but this would be going through my actual phone line and I really want to avoid this. Do you know of any ways to be able to text and, less importantly, dial out using my google voice number through Siri? I don't mind jailbreaking to get it done and am familiar with the process.

If you have the Google Voice app, then you can use Siri to dictate your Google Voice text messages, via the screen keyboard's Siri button.

As for dialing out using Google Voice through Siri, I'm not aware of how that could currently be done.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 4
I never even thought of this. I don't have an iPhone, a dumb phone, but this is an interesting question. May I ask is there a reason you don't want avoid using Siri through the phone line? Is it because of Data? 

I avoid using Siri though my regular phone line because no one knows my actual phone number and I like it that way. Using Google Voice has a lot of benefits, including free texting, and I want to keep it that way. The problem is that the Siri API hasn't been released yet so if I tell Siri to text it's going to use my "regular" number. Once the Siri API is released, which is suppose to happen, I can can say "Google Voice Text: " and it'll do so. But lord knows when the API will be released or when Google will integrate it into GV, obviously and understandably their priority is with andriod.

If you have the Google Voice app, then you can use Siri to dictate your Google Voice text messages, via the screen keyboard's Siri button.

As for dialing out using Google Voice through Siri, I'm not aware of how that could currently be done.

Yeah I actually found that out once I got the phone, I wasn't aware that functionality had been added- which has been a great way to tie me over. However, for a more hands free experience, for example the text being read aloud I'm going to have to wait.

However I did learn of a jailbreak app that routes messages from your messages app, and calls from your in phone default calling app through Google Voice.. .and people over on Mac Rumors assumed that perhaps that same mechanism would apply for Siri's texts. So I'm eager to test to see if that works out. I've jailbroken before but the 4S jailbreak is still being worked on so I'll have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back