Singxer SU-6
Nov 17, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #766 of 1,019
I connected a Pontus 2 and Venus 2 with SU6 via I2S and it worked as intended. Highly recommended
What switch did you enable on the singxer when connecting to a denafrips dac via i2s?

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #767 of 1,019
Hi All,

My SU-6 arrived about 5 days ago - Even though the Gaia might be a little more revealing with my Venus 2 DAC, the Denafrips USB driver disables the master volume which does not suit my system. My home made pre-amp does not have a remote function so do fine tuning with a windows remote.

I just finished reading through this thread - great to have access to the knowledge & feedback of everyone here.

My system is: Desktop PC W10 Foobar2000 - USB - Streambox S2 Ultra in PC/USB mode - USB - Singxer SU-6 - HDMI I2S - Venus 2 - SE o/p - DIY 24V batt powered Pre-amp ( stepped attenuator with Susumu RG2012 resistor driving into BJT compound feedback pair ) - DIY Class A amp ( MOSFET o/p JLH Simple class A ) - DIY Transmission Line Speakers 8" Bass/Mid & Ribbons.

So far the SU6 is giving much more well defined bass & richer midrange detail

All digital leads are pretty basic at present so will be experimenting with that.

I would be interested if anyone has compared the Streambox S2 Ultra with the ifi Nano iGalvanic3.0
When I tried taping over the USB plug for a more simple earth isolation method Foobar crashed with complete regularity after a few seconds of playback - I may try a resistor rather than complete isolation to see that that fixes this and if so see how it sounds compared to the Streambox

At present the system sounds perhaps a little too smooth which is a problem I have not encountered before !

What switch setting did you enable for the denafrips dacs on your singxer?

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #769 of 1,019
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #773 of 1,019
I'd like to ask what do you think about replacing mutec mc3+ usb with su-6. I'm using only USB to TOSLINK conversion, however I believe my dac has its own clock and reclocks the signal anyway. Does it make any difference for sound quality on the amplifier if DAC is fed with signal with larger or lower jitter? Or is it "snake oil" and the difference comes only from biased perception? Have anyone done measurements on amplifier output to check if there is any difference after the signal is reclocked by DAC?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #774 of 1,019
I'd like to ask what do you think about replacing mutec mc3+ usb with su-6. I'm using only USB to TOSLINK conversion, however I believe my dac has its own clock and reclocks the signal anyway. Does it make any difference for sound quality on the amplifier if DAC is fed with signal with larger or lower jitter? Or is it "snake oil" and the difference comes only from biased perception? Have anyone done measurements on amplifier output to check if there is any difference after the signal is reclocked by DAC?
SU-6 has extremely low jitter on all outputs. Combining very low jitter with TosLink for electrical isolation has lowered the noise floor and improved the sound in my system :)

I have no experience of the Mutec Mc 3+ but it seems excellent for your use case. Don’t see any benefits in switching devices.

Edit: Just did a quick check of the specs, price and measurements of the Mutec. If your use case is only conversion then you’re only using a small portion of the features you payed for. Maybe you can sell the Mutec, buy the Singxer, save some money and get better jitter performance (but I’m not sure that it will lead to improvement in sound).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #775 of 1,019
If anyone with an SU-6 also has ground boxes in their system, I'd really recommend trying connecting one to the SU-6's chassis ground. It's easy to do using the screws that hold the AES xlr output.
I’m really interested in this topic as it seems as my “power conditioner” can be used for grounding. I will draw my own conclusions of the benefits after trying :wink:

Grateful for any practical advice regarding cables etc.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #776 of 1,019
does anyone know what settings i should use with Rockna Wavelight ? I have the output from singxer on i2s to rockna and I seem to have inverted channels with all switches off and then when i set 7 on they're still inverted ...

Edit: Problem solved by setting i2s mode to 2

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #777 of 1,019
In terms of the MC3+ vs SU6, the SU6 is a considerably better performer. I've got jitter measurements of both if interested:

https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/05/mutec-mc3-usb-ddc-reclocker-measurements/
https://goldensound.audio/2021/08/01/singxer-su6-measurements/

As to reclocking, it sort of depends because 'reclocking' can mean many different things. Which DAC are you using?
With some methods like buffering, the jitter performance will be identical regardless of jitter on the input signal.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #778 of 1,019
In terms of the MC3+ vs SU6, the SU6 is a considerably better performer. I've got jitter measurements of both if interested:

https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/05/mutec-mc3-usb-ddc-reclocker-measurements/
https://goldensound.audio/2021/08/01/singxer-su6-measurements/

As to reclocking, it sort of depends because 'reclocking' can mean many different things. Which DAC are you using?
With some methods like buffering, the jitter performance will be identical regardless of jitter on the input signal.

I'm using Lyngdorf Millenium (power DAC), I've been told it does recklocking, but don't know any implementation details. With TOSLINK connection I guess jitter is the only thing that could make any difference (if at all).

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #779 of 1,019
Yesterday I took apart my SU-6 to take a look at the Clock Power supply. Each cristal has its own LT3042 to regulate 3.3V from 5V coming direkt vom the super Caps.
After the great success with changing the SET PIN capacitor of my LKS 004 DAC from 4,7µF to 22µ, I was curious to find out how the Singxer powers the crystal clocks.
So I removed one of the LT3042 SET PIN capacitors of the SU-6, and measured it. It turned out to have 1µF. Not so good if one wonts to have the most stable clock you can build for that money.

In this graphic you can see how much influence the SET PIN capacitor has on the output noise of the LT3042.

So I exchanged both 1µF capacitors against 22µV, and build everything back together.
I was very curious if I cold notice a difference at all, since the es9038pro in my LKS 004 is supposed to have an extremely good relocking system to remove jitter.

I fired up the SU-6 and let it worm up vor 30 minutes. Then I Started the first song and ……......….WOW.

The result was extreme impressive. This small change brings the hole system on a completely different level. You have to hear it to believe it.

Sonic impact of the 22µF SET PIN upreade : ( All my impression are only valid for I2S output over HDMI. )

The most noticeable impact, and yes I mean impact, is in the extrema gain in midrange clarity, and ultra-high focus of everything in the soundstage.

Now I did stumbled over one effect, I never experienced before. Since the midrange is so extremely focused and clear, it sounds a little louder than it did before I made the 22µF upgrade. And this may disturb the balance of your system. That’s because all the energy that is usually blurred is now very focused. But in real that’s not a problem of the SU-6, it’s the fault of the speaker developer not having a good music source. In my case, I designed my own Speakers, and it was my fault :wink:.

I corrected the X-Over of my Speakers and lowered the Midrange about 2dB down.

It’s a really cheap but very very effective mod. But you do have to have good soldering skills because the components are very small.
hi B0bb, I have the same problem in the Singxer ASIO Driver. Its only giving me 16 or 24 bit as a choice :frowning2:
In Foobar I can choose everything I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back