Singxer SDA-6 DAC (AK4499)
May 30, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 100
Hello,

any more feelings about the sound itself? Which input do you use?

regards,
Simon
I think I need to give it more time. When I was waiting for the dac to arrive, I switched my PC's LPSU from a 65va 12v to a 100va 19v. I've read different voltage output would yield a different sound. And, 19v does seem to give a clearer but less warm sound compared to 12v. That said, my prelim evaluation:

1) With HP. I usually listen to HP only late at night. But, since I got the dac, I am gravitating to HP more. My 58x has never sounded as good. I prefer USB over I2S. Sound is darker, smokier, bass is stronger in a way that it "distorts" in a satisfying manner such as with guitar amps with USB. It's clearer and flatter with I2S.

2) With speakers. The improvements are sideways compared to D90 MQA. I prefer I2S. I don't get the same benefit using USB with speakers as I do with HP in terms of the type of sound I am looking for. I do get slightly bigger wider deeper sound stage and hear details I've not heard before on tracks I am familiar with. Strangely, I don't get the same darker smokier sound with speakers as I do with HP. I get more of this type of sound through speakers (but less with HP) with D90. But, I was using a (supposedly?) warmer sounding LPSU when using D90.

May 31, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 100
Hmm...
I think I need to give it more time. When I was waiting for the dac to arrive, I switched my PC's LPSU from a 65va 12v to a 100va 19v. I've read different voltage output would yield a different sound. And, 19v does seem to give a clearer but less warm sound compared to 12v. That said, my prelim evaluation:

1) With HP. I usually listen to HP only late at night. But, since I got the dac, I am gravitating to HP more. My 58x has never sounded as good. I prefer USB over I2S. Sound is darker, smokier, bass is stronger in a way that it "distorts" in a satisfying manner such as with guitar amps with USB. It's clearer and flatter with I2S.

2) With speakers. The improvements are sideways compared to D90 MQA. I prefer I2S. I don't get the same benefit using USB with speakers as I do with HP in terms of the type of sound I am looking for. I do get slightly bigger wider deeper sound stage and hear details I've not heard before on tracks I am familiar with. Strangely, I don't get the same darker smokier sound with speakers as I do with HP. I get more of this type of sound through speakers (but less with HP) with D90. But, I was using a (supposedly?) warmer sounding LPSU when using D90.
Hmm...OK. Thank you.

regards,
Simon

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 100
So, it's been plugged in for 10 straight days (about 240hours of burn). It has improved a lot but still doesn't sound "right". D90 sounded right within 3 seconds.... Mundorf caps take 500 hours to charge?

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 100
i returned the pegasus within 30 days after bfd. so can't compare. but, d90/su2 slayed the pegasus. currently, sda6 is better than d90/su2 on acoustics but sda6 still strains with music that has more dynamics... need more time to charge the caps?

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 100
I slotted D90/SU2 back. It's like putting on a pair of sunglasses on a sunny day. More chill.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 100
I replaced the ipower wallwart powering the Matrix Element H USB card with an ebay special 65va LPSU and sound improved quite a bit while using USB input on all my devices that have USB inputs including SDA6, SU2 and D90MQA.

Simply put, the Singxer devices improved by about 5% while D90 improved by 20%.

Now, the tone on the D90 is just gorgeous. D90 w/ SU2 sounds just as good as D90 w/o SU2 except they have different sound. D90 has a warm tone with a slight compression in the mids (in a good tube amp way). D90 w/ SU2 has silkier and more open highs.

SDA6 sounds about the same w/ or w/o SU2 now. I still prefer with SU2 but difference is slight. SDA6 sounds great for 3 songs before my ears grow tired.

So, SDA6 is going back and just ordered an used Border Patrol.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 100
Thanks! It is USB and I'm told the USB driver is most likely the problem. Don't know how Linux could have changed. But will report back when I solve it.
Thanks! It is USB and I'm told the USB driver is most likely the problem. Don't know how Linux could have changed. But will report back when I solve it.
Did you manage to solve it?

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 100
Thank you. Guess I must try it. Im looking in this dac and R2R dac.

regards,
Simon

R2R Is out of question for me... With a desktop setup I would like to watch a movie, YouTube, a concert, maybe play games.. and R2R will have audio delay.

I have a Singxer SA1 and that makes this DAC a really interesting option for me.

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #29 of 100
Yes - I unplugged the USB at my computer, moved it to another USB port and plugged back in. Now no popping sounds. Seems the USB protocol stack should be able to notify the DAC that the comm connex is bad and the device would say so. But I guess no addition expenses makes the device more affordable.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #30 of 100
I have been using for a while the SDA-6 Pro along with the SA-1 and they complement each other very well, smooth, musical and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back