Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #2,401 of 2,563
Adding a preamp is in my long-term upgrade plan, and I’ve actually been researching that exact preamp. Is it a good match for the Singxer? Are the separate input and output gain adjustments useful, or just a gimmick?

And, yeah, there’s no real way to defend the choice to put those gain switches on the bottom of the Singxer amp. Thankfully, in my current setup (with a Chord Mojo 2 feeding it over RCA) I can just leave it in low gain all the time for all of my headphones, including the beast (Hifiman HE6).
The Chord Mojo output voltage used in DAC mode is 3v which is more than the normal 2v. I suppose the Mojo 2 is the same. This higher than usual output voltage gives more headroom to any amp. The Gustard P26 is ok. It has a total of 12db gain (6db in and 6db out) but I only use 6db input and set 0db at the output. This gives me enough headroom for the sound and if I need extra, I can set the P26 out gain 6db and this rarely happens. As for the gimmick of separate input/output gain I sense no difference in sound between when I set the input or output to high (6db). If you do choose a preamp, make sure the preamp input impedance is greater than 8X of the output impedance of the DAC so as to eliminate sound distortion. For comparison P26 balanced/unbalance input both are 47k ohm while topping pre90 input impedances for unbalance is 10k and for balanced is 2k.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,402 of 2,563
The Chord Mojo output voltage used in DAC mode is 3v which is more than the normal 2v. I suppose the Mojo 2 is the same. This higher than usual output voltage gives more headroom to any amp. The Gustard P26 is ok. It has a total of 12db gain (6db in and 6db out) but I only use 6db input and set 0db at the output. This gives me enough headroom for the sound and if I need extra, I can set the P26 out gain 6db and this rarely happens. As for the gimmick of separate input/output gain I sense no difference in sound between when I set the input or output to high (6db). If you do choose a preamp, make sure the preamp input impedance is greater than 8X of the output impedance of the DAC so as to eliminate sound distortion. For comparison P26 balanced/unbalance input both are 47k ohm while topping pre90 input impedances for unbalance is 10k and for balanced is 2k.
Awesome. Thanks for the rundown.

The Mojo 2 is a little different from its predecessor since there’s no dedicated line-level mode, so it works more like a preamp with variable output. Its optimal output voltage is in the 3V-4V range, so it works very well for adding a little gain before going to the Singxer.

And, yeah, impedance matching can be a pain. For example, I use a Denafrips Ares in my living room setup. I love it, but it has a crazy high output impedance, limiting my amp and preamp choices there. Thankfully the input impedance for the Singxer (20k and 30kOhms) is high enough for pretty much anything I might throw upstream.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,404 of 2,563
Anybody knows the input sensitivity of the Singxer for its balanced inputs? I want to know if there is any issue feeding a 6V output from the dac to the SA-1, thanks!
Depends on the gain setting. From the first post in this thread:

The following is the maximum input without distortion at the maximum volume. no load:

low gain: XLR 15.5VRMS,RCA 7.4V RMS;
high gain : XLR 4.4VRMS,RCA 2.1VRMS.

When there is a load, it is about 10% lower.

In other words, on the low gain setting you can feed it 6V from XLR no problem. But on high gain, the input sensitivities top out at a more typical value.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2,406 of 2,563
Depends on the gain setting. From the first post in this thread:

In other words, on the low gain setting you can feed it 6V from XLR no problem. But on high gain, the input sensitivities top out at a more typical value.
Thanks for sharing this. I guess I was completely clueless when it came to this. Are you saying for this Amp, if your DAC gives a certain amount of V, you should pick low gain instead of high gain because the high gain doesn't allow for the full power? I know I might be sounding clueless right now, because I am. For example, my DAC has the following stats:
RCA: 2.5Vrms (VOLUME FIXED) 100Ω
XLR: 5.0Vrms VOLUME FIXED) 100Ω

Does that mean based on what you're saying Low gain on this amp is better if I'm using XLR out of DAC into this amp?

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,407 of 2,563
Thanks for sharing this. I guess I was completely clueless when it came to this. Are you saying for this Amp, if your DAC gives a certain amount of V, you should pick low gain instead of high gain because the high gain doesn't allow for the full power? I know I might be sounding clueless right now, because I am. For example, my DAC has the following stats:
RCA: 2.5Vrms (VOLUME FIXED) 100Ω
XLR: 5.0Vrms VOLUME FIXED) 100Ω

Does that mean based on what you're saying Low gain on this amp is better if I'm using XLR out of DAC into this amp?
Very few things are binary in audio. "Better" is a matter of taste. Nothing lost by trying out different settings yourself and deciding which you prefer. The tradeoff between gain and distortion might be worth it to you. Try both and decide. This is something I really like about this amp. It is surprisingly flexible.

EDIT: I should also add that if it clips in high gain mode, you’ll know. But you’d probably have to be close to maxing out the volume on the Singxer to get there. And according to measurements, the distortion difference between high and low gain modes is audibly insignificant. If it were me, I’d just go ahead use low gain mode (for headroom) but YMMV. Depends on the headphones you use, your preferred listening level, and so on. Again, no harm in testing for yourself.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,412 of 2,563
Thankfully, in my current setup (with a Chord Mojo 2 feeding it over RCA) I can just leave it in low gain all the time for all of my headphones, including the beast (Hifiman HE6).
One downside of this setup is that you really have to NOT forget to turn down the volume on your Mojo2 when you use it standalone. Speak from experience :wink:

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,413 of 2,563
One downside of this setup is that you really have to NOT forget to turn down the volume on your Mojo2 when you use it standalone. Speak from experience :wink:
Ha. No doubt. I switch headphones around quite a bit, so I’m in the habit of turning down the volume knob to minimum before I disconnect a cable or headphones (I’m one of those OCD people who never leaves cables or headphones plugged in when I’m not listening). It also keeps me from getting too acclimated to listening at increasingly loud volumes.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #2,414 of 2,563
Do you guys take this amplifier seriously? I recently purchased a linear power supply with a 50 watt talem core for my amplifier, a Dart Aurora DAC, and it turned out to be happiness, better detail, stage, lower bass. I don't want to touch it anymore, unlike singer, it's garbage, muddy sound, an inflated stage and a midbass with weak treble, do you appreciate the sound like that? What's the hype?
1703953835599.jpg
1703953742120.jpg
1703953742124.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,415 of 2,563
Do you guys take this amplifier seriously? I recently purchased a linear power supply with a 50 watt talem core for my amplifier, a Dart Aurora DAC, and it turned out to be happiness, better detail, stage, lower bass. I don't want to touch it anymore, unlike singer, it's garbage, muddy sound, an inflated stage and a midbass with weak treble, do you appreciate the sound like that? What's the hype?1703953835599.jpg1703953742120.jpg1703953742124.jpg
Run balanced in and balanced out for the best sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back