Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 7, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,891 of 2,563
I have a hard time believing this. When I plug my Hifiman HE6SE V2 into my Darkvoice 336SE, or my Little Dot MKIII, lowest bass frequencies disappear and upper bass frequencies are barely audible. This frequency response makes music awful sounding is unlistenable to me. However when I plug the same Hifiman HE6SE V2 into a low impedance friendly headphone amplifier such as my Schiit Jotunheim 2, the lowest bass exists again and the upper bass returns.

Tube amps don't really count 🙄

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #1,892 of 2,563
Both amps are fine, mate! They are slightly different in presentation, but that's just a matter of preference. Look, if you want cheaper, go for the Jot2. Alternatively, choose whatever is available to you locally. I'd choose my SA-1. Another person will go for the Jot2. There is NO superiority of one over the other. You have to choose for yourself based on what you've read already. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Thanks. I am really looking to tame the Ananda in the highs and make them more bass and warmth more musical. I listen to Rap, Hip-Hop reggae, and r&b. And Spanish music. I like vocals to shine too in females or in males. Just want to make sure I pick right amp. As I'm not sure if I over did it in the Dac department with the D1SE.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #1,893 of 2,563
Thanks. I am really looking to tame the Ananda in the highs and make them more bass and warmth more musical. I listen to Rap, Hip-Hop reggae, and r&b. And Spanish music. I like vocals to shine too in females or in males. Just want to make sure I pick right amp. As I'm not sure if I over did it in the Dac department with the D1SE.
Use EQ, mate. That's what you really need. Forget about choosing "the right" amp. Choose whatever is available, 'cause neither of them will tame highs or add bass. That's what EQs are for.

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,894 of 2,563
Use EQ, mate. That's what you really need. Forget about choosing "the right" amp. Choose whatever is available, 'cause neither of them will tame highs or add bass. That's what EQs are for.
Ok say no more. I might just return the sp200 and get the Jot 2 or should i just get a replacement sp200 and call it a day. i paid $140 usd for it. You think i wasted 612 bucks on the Dac D1SE could i have gotten the su9n and saved or is it ok

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,895 of 2,563
Ok say no more. I might just return the sp200 and get the Jot 2 or should i just get a replacement sp200 and call it a day. i paid $140 usd for it. You think i wasted 612 bucks on the Dac D1SE could i have gotten the su9n and saved or is it ok
Yeah you definitely wasted money on the DAC.. the su-9n would have been enough. Or the D300 and plenty of other DACs.

Use a equilizer and don't look for magical hardware combinations

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,896 of 2,563
Yeah you definitely wasted money on the DAC.. the su-9n would have been enough. Or the D300 and plenty of other DACs.

Use a equilizer and don't look for magical hardware combinations
How would you compare the D300 to the SU-9N or the DO200 and should i go for the replacement SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888 or Get the JOTUNHEIM 2 or the Singxer SA-1

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #1,897 of 2,563
How would you compare the D300 to the SU-9N or the DO200 and should i go for the replacement SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888 or Get the JOTUNHEIM 2 or the Singxer SA-1
You keep repeating yourself over and over 🙄
Get the DAC that does what you want (filters etc), has the inputs you need and buy the amp that is available and cheaper.

But neither of these things will suddenly elevate your headphones to another level . All these amps are powerful enough and the differences with the DACs are at best meassureable but as long as your not a dog or bat probably not audible.

If you want to change the sound profile of your headphones, use a EQ.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #1,898 of 2,563
  1. Keep your D1SE. You already have it anyway
  2. Buy yourself a Singxer SA-1
  3. If your budget is limited, then buy a Jot 2 instead of a Singxer SA-1
  4. Don't buy a SMSL SP200
Disclaimer: just to save myself from misjudgment, all these dot points are written for a specific person with particular circumstances and specific needs, experience and knowledge, and should not serve as a guide for anyone else.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,899 of 2,563
  1. Keep your D1SE. You already have it anyway
  2. Buy yourself a Singxer SA-1
  3. If your budget is limited, then buy a Jot 2 instead of a Singxer SA-1
  4. Don't buy a SMSL SP200
Disclaimer: just to save myself from misjudgment, all these dot points are written for a specific person with particular circumstances and specific needs, experience and knowledge, and should not serve as a guide for anyone else.
The Singxer SA-1 I can get for just $100 bucks more than the Jot 2 you think that $100 is worth it and thanks for the input

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,900 of 2,563
Anyone here use the SA-1 mostly for preamp? If you do, how warm does your unit get? I have balanced xlr in, rca out for preamp and the unit gets pretty warm (never hot, but definitely warmer than room temp). Sometimes it gets around room temp in use, but 90% of the time it is warm to the touch.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,902 of 2,563
I got an improved version of my headphones (Snorry Si-1 Mk2) and now I can definitely hear that the mod with jumpers gives more detail (it's clearly audible), better timbres and removes the tinted bass in the form of a slightly larger volume. The last point may upset.

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #1,903 of 2,563
I got an improved version of my headphones (Snorry Si-1 Mk2) and now I can definitely hear that the mod with jumpers gives more detail (it's clearly audible), better timbres and removes the tinted bass in the form of a slightly larger volume. The last point may upset.
while listing to music, open the cover and remove the jumpers. this way you can judge. I did it and was safe

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #1,904 of 2,563
while listing to music, open the cover and remove the jumpers. this way you can judge. I did it and was safe
This is a bad idea. You shouldn't be messing with anything on the circuit board while power is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back