Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,606 of 2,563
20211014_153732.jpg

It was fun comparison! Topping D90SE with XLR output feed Topping A90, Singxer SA-1, and Schiit Jotunheim 2

At that moment I tried with Abyss Diana Phi and Focal Clear MG.

All three amps are indeed excellent for the price.

Power: (Based on Gain and Watt)
1. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90
3. Singxer SA1

Note: Singxer is far from weak, it's just that Singxer provide the lowest gain (amplified factor). Singxer capable to push Diana with ease.

Treble:
1. Singxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

Most airy feeling, with most micro detail, Singxer take the crown here. The best part, Singxer is actually the most linear in treble area, high pitch of piano seems free of peak/harshness. A90 and Jotunheim 2 while less airy, but produce more peak in piano notes. Jotunheim is the darkest of the three with the least airy feeling as well. (Remember that these three amps still close to neutral, so don't imagine awful lack of treble quantity from Schiit).

Midrange:
1a. Singxer SA-1
1b. Schiit Jotunheim 2
2. Topping A90

Both singxer and schiit provide slight forward vocal with dense and full body tonality. While texture slight better with Singxer, Jotun provide slight fuller lower midrange. Sibilance is hard to heard, unless the recording produce much of them. Topping is a little drier in this section, with more laidback position. I'd give a nod to Topping if the extreme neutrality is your main concern. Personally, I chase natural more than neutral here.

Bass:
1a. Schiit Jotunheim 2
1b. Singxer SA-1
1c. Topping A90

Love them all! Jotunheim 2 produce biggest bass, Topping is the least, Singxer on the middle. Both three amps render bass texture nicely, deep down to sub bass level. Most impact goes to Jotunheim, while A90 and SA-1 share the same result.

Soundstage:
1. SIngxer SA-1
2. Topping A90
3. Schiit Jotunheim 2

The airy feeling, combine with the actual soundstage size, make Singxer goes to the top. Not only the size, actually imaging also more structured on Singxer SA-1 compared the other amps. Schiit Jotunheim 2 definitely create the "narrowest" imaging here.

Conclusion:
Singxer SA-1 is still my most favourite amp for under $1000, very all round character with great micro detail and soundstage. Being neutral, but slight sweetness on vocal is blissful.

Schiit Jotunheim 2, punch the hardest, in expense of airy feeling and soundstage.

Topping A90, is most dead neutral, even when compared to other close to neutral amps.
Thank you so much for this. Definitely the three main amps I was looking at for upgrading. I've gone with the Singxer and love it so far. Curious, would you say the Singxer is pretty far behind the Jot2 in terms of "punchiness" or is it close? That's literally my only gripe with the Singxer, it's such a great all around amp.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,607 of 2,563
Great descriptions!

I own the SA-1, but used to own the A90, then Jot2. Your take on the SA-1 and Jot2 is spot on. Your take on the A90 is also accurate, but I think a bit kind. It is indeed neutral, but also sterile and clinical sounding. The SA-1 sounds so much more like real music, regardless of its neutrality or lack thereof...

I notice there are some areas in upper mid that may cause "sterile" effect on A90, and the fact that A90 produce the least mid-bass compare the other two amps.

Thank you so much for this. Definitely the three main amps I was looking at for upgrading. I've gone with the Singxer and love it so far. Curious, would you say the Singxer is pretty far behind the Jot2 in terms of "punchiness" or is it close? That's literally my only gripe with the Singxer, it's such a great all around amp.
I don't think the difference in punch is that big and become deal breaker for Singxer. On Clear MG (which is very punch and lively headphone) it's possible some people would prefer more polite punch of Singxer. So everything back on synergy and preference.

I do also realise that both headphone I tested (Diana Phi and Clear MG) is rather intimate and don't have such large soundstage, therefore Singxer's performance in soundstage is so beneficial. Perhaps my thought about favourite amp could be different if I use Senn HD800 (solid punch with smaller soundstage of Jotun 2 could take a lead).

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,608 of 2,563
I notice there are some areas in upper mid that may cause "sterile" effect on A90, and the fact that A90 produce the least mid-bass compare the other two amps.

I don't think the difference in punch is that big and become deal breaker for Singxer. On Clear MG (which is very punch and lively headphone) it's possible some people would prefer more polite punch of Singxer. So everything back on synergy and preference.

I do also realise that both headphone I tested (Diana Phi and Clear MG) is rather intimate and don't have such large soundstage, therefore Singxer's performance in soundstage is so beneficial. Perhaps my thought about favourite amp could be different if I use Senn HD800 (solid punch with smaller soundstage of Jotun 2 could take a lead).
Thank you for your input, really appreciated. I currently have an LCD2 and the larger soundstage was definitely the first thing that popped out at me with the Singxer. Honestly, I'm done trying to upgrade or find something better. This amp fits all my needs at a reasonable price. Time to just enjoy the music :)

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,609 of 2,563
Thanks. There are solid reasons whey they so hyped up in the market nowadays!
Great comparison MiddleSky! I have two of the three sitting at home along with the OG Jot :smile:

I'm still trying to form more solid impressions before doing a mini comparison for folks on this thread but I do agree with you in general. Just when I thought I had some firm impressions burn-in keeps changing the sound plus juggling two DACs, the Qutest and Bifrost 2, between them has been a lot of fun but also delaying comparison impressions. I went through a phase when I thought that A90 was too sterile, but I've moved beyond that now with a lot of burn-in, when it's toasty hot it sounds crazy transparent/wide-spectrum top to bottom without being sterile - it's a great amp just need to burn-in and also clean up the power supply. Having said that, the Singxer seems to be pulling ahead. My thoughts are to keep both and pair one with the Qutest and the other with the Bifrost 2. I will update you all once I get more solid impressions as the SA-1 only has about a 100 hours right now. OG Jot is not being used much lately but it was a champ for many years in the past and has its own thing

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,610 of 2,563
Great comparison MiddleSky! I have two of the three sitting at home along with the OG Jot :smile:

I'm still trying to form more solid impressions before doing a mini comparison for folks on this thread but I do agree with you in general. Just when I thought I had some firm impressions burn-in keeps changing the sound plus juggling two DACs, the Qutest and Bifrost 2, between them has been a lot of fun but also delaying comparison impressions. I went through a phase when I thought that A90 was too sterile, but I've moved beyond that now with a lot of burn-in, when it's toasty hot it sounds crazy transparent/wide-spectrum top to bottom without being sterile - it's a great amp just need to burn-in and also clean up the power supply. Having said that, the Singxer seems to be pulling ahead. My thoughts are to keep both and pair one with the Qutest and the other with the Bifrost 2. I will update you all once I get more solid impressions as the SA-1 only has about a 100 hours right now. OG Jot is not being used much lately but it was a champ for many years in the past and has its own thing

Sometimes I feel that A90 has noticeable glare that may bother me, but when I try with some smoother sounding headphone, the problem disappear. For something like Clear MG, LCD 2 Classic, and ZMF Aeolus, definitely A90 has no such harsh problem, and the synergy is actually great with these headphones.

As you wrote though, everytime I think A90 perform really nice, when I switch to Singxer, it always pulling ahead again in soundstage and "extra" smoothness without being less detail and transparent. I know some people here who listen a lot of rock and japanese songs that prefer the extra treble bite of A90 though (compare to Singxer), so everything always back to preference.

Not so long ago (3-4 months ago) actually my main set up consist of Qutest + Singxer SA-1. Lovely combo with Diana Phi indeed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,612 of 2,563
Long time lurker here, I just received my Singxer SA-1 amp today. I wanted to ask if anyone else was having this problem with their amp. I’m using the HD800 and the listenable range is when the volume knob is between 4 to 5 o’clock. At max volume (which is about 5:30 o’clock) it is loud enough but anything below 3 o’clock the volume is too low. I set the gain settings underneath the amp, all 4 switches to high gain, it improved only a little bit. I tried different dacs at max gain setting, so I know it’s not the dac signal.

Do I have a defective unit?
I contacted Drop and they were good enough to send me out a new replacement unit. With the new unit, same thing, listenable volume levels are between 3 - 5:30 o’clock. I guess my first unit was not defective, maybe it has more to do my headphone impedance than the amplifier.

I also wanted to mention, for those people who own the Drop THX 789, I also bought Drop THX 789 and the Singxer Amplifier is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the Drop THX 789.
My opinion with the THX 789, it had a crunchy shadowy sound in the mids and upper range. The Singxer doesn’t have that extra sound. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone was on the fence about it.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #1,613 of 2,563

Would love your comparisons as I have a 2Qute and a THX 887. I also just ordered a Jot 2. I was pretty close to ordering a Singxer SA-1 but thought the THX 887 might be to similar in sound. I am kinda worried about losing some stoundstage with the Jot 2 but will appreciate the bass punch as long as its not muddy. Will post impressions when I get the Jot 2.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,614 of 2,563
Would love your comparisons as I have a 2Qute and a THX 887. I also just ordered a Jot 2. I was pretty close to ordering a Singxer SA-1 but thought the THX 887 might be to similar in sound. I am kinda worried about losing some stoundstage with the Jot 2 but will appreciate the bass punch as long as its not muddy. Will post impressions when I get the Jot 2.
Sorry about the late reply. I've been doing a lot of listening swapping back and forth with the A90/SA-1 and Bifrost 2/Qutest. What I can say for now is that Qutest has better synergy with the SA-1 and Bifrost 2 has the the better synergy with A90. SA-1 is fantastic and I think most people would consider it a better amp than the A90, but IMO the A90 is also a champ it sometimes just brings that clean transparency like there is nothing between me and the DAC that's like a breath of fresh air. The SA-1 sounds expensive/refined with wider soundstage/three-dimensionality and also has good transparency/clarity but I sometimes feel like the A90 is more transparent. A90 is kind of mid forward/upfront with an engaging presentation while the SA-1 sounds thinner/recessed in the mids due to the large sound stage kind of like an Utopia vs. HD800S but sounds wide and impressive/3D. One thing that the SA-1 excels at is that it really grabs planars by the balls and brings about extraordinary control in the bass and highs... gets rid of that last 1% flabbyness/looseness. Arya V3 is a crazy good match for the SA-1. I'm nearly at 200 hours with the SA-1 and I still keep hearing improvements and changes so these are my initial thoughts. I've also only tried 4 out of my 14 headphones so I need to rotate in more headphones to get a better sense of what this can do. I'll update everyone once I get a better understanding.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #1,615 of 2,563
Actually i feed my SA-1 in Low-Gain with Ares II via XLR. Music came from a MacBook via Foobar.

*I already asked for help a few weeks ago.

I tried several Headphones. Actually i test with Arya V1with XLR and with Poti on max. The Volume is absolutely moderate, not loud in any way.

Still about to find the mistake.
turn the volume to max. I'm sure you will find what you need at 5pm :p

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,616 of 2,563
I feed Topping D70s xlr into the SA-1, from PC I use foobar2000. Headphone is Arya. I found that in low gain, I need the volume mostly at 3 o'clock position and sometimes need to go to 5. I am wondering is that absolutely fine or if I should set it to high gain. At low gain and with the volume knob turned to the max will it have any adverse effect on the head room and/or dynamic range? I'd prefer low gain setting if possible. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Oct 30, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,617 of 2,563
I feed Topping D70s xlr into the SA-1, from PC I use foobar2000. Headphone is Arya. I found that in low gain, I need the volume mostly at 3 o'clock position and sometimes need to go to 5. I am wondering is that absolutely fine or if I should set it to high gain. At low gain and with the volume knob turned to the max will it have any adverse effect on the head room and/or dynamic range? I'd prefer low gain setting if possible. Thanks for your advice in advance.
100% fine and this is better than high gain. Nothing better than 0 gain 😎 with high voltage from the DAC

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #1,618 of 2,563
Sounds like a killer combination! How do you like the D70s paired with the SA-1?

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,619 of 2,563
Ok then I'll keep it at low gain. Thanks Muataz.

I bought the D70s for its higher output level for the SA-1. I have nothing to complain about the sound quality at all. Indeed, this combination produced a slightly clearer (slight but noticeable if I look for it) sound than my M15. Sound stage is expansive and natural. It also tamed the arya's high frequency and made it less offensive on certain tracks. One thing I found surprising is that sometimes I can actually hear a difference when selecting different low pass filter on the D70s, as I can never tell on the M15.

Since the SA-1 is my only amp I have no idea how it compares to the others. However, I simply do not find any issues that make me want to try something else. :beyersmile:

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,620 of 2,563
Ok then I'll keep it at low gain. Thanks Muataz.

I bought the D70s for its higher output level for the SA-1. I have nothing to complain about the sound quality at all. Indeed, this combination produced a slightly clearer (slight but noticeable if I look for it) sound than my M15. Sound stage is expansive and natural. It also tamed the arya's high frequency and made it less offensive on certain tracks. One thing I found surprising is that sometimes I can actually hear a difference when selecting different low pass filter on the D70s, as I can never tell on the M15.

Since the SA-1 is my only amp I have no idea how it compares to the others. However, I simply do not find any issues that make me want to try something else. :beyersmile:
That's interesting about the effect of the filters on the D70s. I will have to try that out myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back