Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Sep 21, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #1,501 of 2,563
So I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this amp long term or sell it. So far I've only tested the SE output. I just wanted to quickly ask: does using the balanced output improve sound with the SA-1? Is it a significant difference? I know a lot of people said that was the case with Schiit amps and other balanced amps, including this one according to some. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
You should try the balance cable. it is the strength point of this amp.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,504 of 2,563
Do you mean the gain switches on the bottom of the device or to use a 6W balanced amplification at all?
I think he mean the amplifer channels, their are 4 amplifer section

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,506 of 2,563
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,507 of 2,563
Sep 21, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,509 of 2,563
Thank you, but what I meant is what differences did you notice between SE and XLR on the sa-1, specifically? Like, what can I expect to change in this specific case?
For higher impedance and/or more difficult to drive headphones, balanced always yields a larger and wider soundstage with better separation and a more defined bass line. I also noticed these same traits with the THX 789.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,510 of 2,563
Thank you, but what I meant is what differences did you notice between SE and XLR on the sa-1, specifically? Like, what can I expect to change in this specific case?
For easy to drive headphone, expect cleaner black background, better separation, micro detail and treble/bass extension. Also expect a slight cooler midrange tonality.

For hard to drive headphone, balance would provide "everything is upgrade" improvement.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,511 of 2,563
You can't honestly expect a night and day difference. With my Arya's, when I switched from SE to XLR, I noticed maybe a slightly better imaging and little more natural voices. The only thing that was more pronounced was the bass impact, without being actually a huge change.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,512 of 2,563
Awesome. I actually forgot, I did try the ZMF cans on XLR once and I thought they had wonderful microdynamics, when I later asked a very experienced friend he said that he actually thinks they aren't too good, which might point to XLR helping with that. I will be getting the cheapest version of Forza cables (130 euros for my variant) and I hope to see some improvements.

Thank you all for taking your time to answer my question. I hope it will make a small difference at least. I've been using my Borealis for over a month now so I should pick up on smaller differences too :)

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,513 of 2,563
Enjoying reading the impressions of the SA-1. I currently have the Jot1 and this would be a nice upgrade. The only thing that bothers me about this amp is the gain switches on the very bottom. I wish they would have just put the low and high gain right on the front next to the low z/high z switch. If I am switching from my HD650 (300ohm) on high gain down to say my AKG371 (32ohms) to low gain it would be a major pain. Lifting up my stack (AMP, DAC, Streamer) everytime I switch from an easy to drive to a hard to drive headphone would get old really quick. My Jot1 is larger than my DAC and Streamer so I would most likely have the SA-1 on the very bottom of the stack. If you are going to use the SA-1 with a larger assortment of headphones it would benefit from sitting on the top of your stack so you could easily pick it up and switch it.

Or can you power most headphones including the 650s and ZMFs strictly on the low gain setting? What about the Fostex T50-RP MKIII's on low gain? I have an SMSL SU8 v2 balanced DAC so I can get a higher voltage output via balanced.

Maybe I'll just have to be patient and wait until they release the SA-2 or just upgrade to the Jot2.

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,514 of 2,563
Enjoying reading the impressions of the SA-1. I currently have the Jot1 and this would be a nice upgrade. The only thing that bothers me about this amp is the gain switches on the very bottom. I wish they would have just put the low and high gain right on the front next to the low z/high z switch. If I am switching from my HD650 (300ohm) on high gain down to say my AKG371 (32ohms) to low gain it would be a major pain. Lifting up my stack (AMP, DAC, Streamer) everytime I switch from an easy to drive to a hard to drive headphone would get old really quick. My Jot1 is larger than my DAC and Streamer so I would most likely have the SA-1 on the very bottom of the stack. If you are going to use the SA-1 with a larger assortment of headphones it would benefit from sitting on the top of your stack so you could easily pick it up and switch it.

Or can you power most headphones including the 650s and ZMFs strictly on the low gain setting? What about the Fostex T50-RP MKIII's on low gain? I have an SMSL SU8 v2 balanced DAC so I can get a higher voltage output via balanced.

Maybe I'll just have to be patient and wait until they release the SA-2 or just upgrade to the Jot2.
It's indeed a huge pain. It can drive an hd650 and (IIRC from my testing) ZMF on low gain, but that just doesn't sound good, to be honest. My Borealis sounds good on low gain but that's the only one that's sounded good on low gain. The 650 on low gain sounds much less dynamic, too soft, boring. Generally just not engaging, at all, IMO. like I said the question might not be if it can drive something to satisfactory volume, but if it actually sounds good on low gain, which none of the high impedeance cans I tried did. Including 650, 580, ZMF Auteur & Aeolus, Arya, etc.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #1,515 of 2,563
It's indeed a huge pain. It can drive an hd650 and (IIRC from my testing) ZMF on low gain, but that just doesn't sound good, to be honest. My Borealis sounds good on low gain but that's the only one that's sounded good on low gain. The 650 on low gain sounds much less dynamic, too soft, boring. Generally just not engaging, at all, IMO. like I said the question might not be if it can drive something to satisfactory volume, but if it actually sounds good on low gain, which none of the high impedeance cans I tried did. Including 650, 580, ZMF Auteur & Aeolus, Arya, etc.
You confirmed exactly what I was afraid of. I love that the SA-1 is mostly Class A, but it will get old really fast having to pickup my stack everytime I have to switch from low to high gain. I tried low gain on my Jot1 with my HD650s and it sounds underwhelming. Poor dynamics and bass response. I have to turn the volume knob all the way to 2 o' clock to get the right listening level and even then it sounds sounds like the amp is straining.

The other amps in this range available right now are the A90 and Jot2, but I am not sure how much of an audible upgrade these would be. I have Roon running with parametric EQ and the Jot1 has enough juice to power all of my headphones. It sounds really good to me. Plus it's easy to switch from low to high gain. I can even deal with the power switch being on the back of the unit. At least it's not underneath!

I appreciate the info. I think I am going to be patient for now and wait for something else to come along. The Burson Soloist 3x looks like a very nice option, but it's nearly twice the price at $1100 and the form factor might be too deep for my narriow desk. The Jots or SA-1 will fit perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back