Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,487 of 2,587
Hi everyone, my SA-1 just arrived today. any suggestion what's DAC would be the best pair on budget not more than $700? I have mojo right now, but I need new balance DAC for pairing with SA-1 to drive my oppo PM-1, Hifiman Edition X V2 and Senn HD 660S.
I've been reading the review for Ares 2 / Topping D70s / D90SE / Schiit Bifrost.
unfortunately I can't try the demo unit, because there's no local distributor in my country for those items.
thanks

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,488 of 2,587
Hi everyone, my SA-1 just arrived today. any suggestion what's DAC would be the best pair on budget not more than $700? I have mojo right now, but I need new balance DAC for pairing with SA-1 to drive my oppo PM-1, Hifiman Edition X V2 and Senn HD 660S.
I've been reading the review for Ares 2 / Topping D70s / D90SE / Schiit Bifrost.
unfortunately I can't try the demo unit, because there's no local distributor in my country for those items.
thanks
If you can still get a Gustard A18 with MQA, I would suggest that too.
I had compared it with X16, D70, SMSL M400, Loxjie D50 and A18 without MQA and it was allowed to remain unambiguous. Of course, this has nothing to do with MQA, I suspect that either the XMOS 216 chip does a better job, or Gustard has improved something significantly between the two versions.

But I would also like to make a comparison with the D90SE topping.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,489 of 2,587
If you can still get a Gustard A18 with MQA, I would suggest that too.
I had compared it with X16, D70, SMSL M400, Loxjie D50 and A18 without MQA and it was allowed to remain unambiguous. Of course, this has nothing to do with MQA, I suspect that either the XMOS 216 chip does a better job, or Gustard has improved something significantly between the two versions.

But I would also like to make a comparison with the D90SE topping.
so sad, same with Gustard, no local distributor in my country.
but I found in my local second hand audio store, there's D70 without S and SMSL SU-9 MQA, is it a good choice to take D70? I never heard both of them before.
honestly I don't really need MQA decoder for now, maybe for futureproof it's okay.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,490 of 2,587
so sad, same with Gustard, no local distributor in my country.
but I found in my local second hand audio store, there's D70 without S and SMSL SU-9 MQA, is it a good choice to take D70? I never heard both of them before.
honestly I don't really need MQA decoder for now, maybe for futureproof it's okay.
It's also very difficult to find an MQA version. As I said, with the MQA version only applies to the A18 and does not refer to MQA files, I cannot say it for other devices. So far I haven't heard any advantage with MQA files over normal Flac's (only my personal experience).
The SU-9 had any problems with (harmonic?) Distortions on a channel, which could be fixed by a software update at support. But there is no way, not even from the firmware version, to tell whether it was done. Since it has only been known for a short time, a used device will not yet be the current version.

So I would take the D70, it also has a very good reputation.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,493 of 2,587
I just got my gustard x16 in and it sounds really good with sa1 so far. I don't have anything to compare with aside from a scarlet 2i2 and xduoo xd05 though. And it's very clearly better than those. Really clear and spacious sound overall. But the NOS mode is a bit of a head-scratcher.

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,494 of 2,587
thanks

I luv my Loxjie D50, so it gets my vote. Sounds amazin w the SA-1

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #1,496 of 2,587
Have you compared the Loxjie D50 with other DACs?

Only to the Topping DX7 Pro and SMSL SU-9. It's beats both of them hands down. The main characteristics the D50 is bringing to the table is naturalness with nice note weight and preciseness/effortlessness in how it's positioning/layering instruments in the stage presentation. Oh and it gave me more headroom on the Atom and SA-1, as well as the ability to listen at lower volumes without sacrificing textures and dynamics

Sep 15, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,497 of 2,587
It's also very difficult to find an MQA version. As I said, with the MQA version only applies to the A18 and does not refer to MQA files, I cannot say it for other devices. So far I haven't heard any advantage with MQA files over normal Flac's (only my personal experience).
The SU-9 had any problems with (harmonic?) Distortions on a channel, which could be fixed by a software update at support. But there is no way, not even from the firmware version, to tell whether it was done. Since it has only been known for a short time, a used device will not yet be the current version.

So I would take the D70, it also has a very good reputation.
thanks mate! still considering between D70 and DX7Pro, I found that DX7Pro $530 in my local audio store BNIB just old stock, is it good price?
I luv my Loxjie D50, so it gets my vote. Sounds amazin w the SA-1
thanks! I'll searching review for Loxjie D50

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,498 of 2,587
thanks
I think you should go for D70s cheaper and will done dac or you may jump for SDA-6 basic version.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #1,500 of 2,587
So I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this amp long term or sell it. So far I've only tested the SE output. I just wanted to quickly ask: does using the balanced output improve sound with the SA-1? Is it a significant difference? I know a lot of people said that was the case with Schiit amps and other balanced amps, including this one according to some. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back