Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 10, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #871 of 2,563
I understand, but if the DAC uses 5V, what are the possible damages? 5V PSU can create any DC output that can cause damage? because if the answer to this is NO, there is no need to measure anything, correct? most simple logic ever.

May 10, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #872 of 2,563
If you may have a multimeter you can mesaure the DC output of the E30.
I do have a good multimeter here, I just don't know how to measure that thing or where or how, but multimeter I have it here.

May 10, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #874 of 2,563
I understand, but if the DAC uses 5V, what are the possible damages? 5V PSU can create any DC output that can cause damage?
Yes, because the amp will amplify the signal to the whooping 6.5 Watts. It's not the amp you should worry about. It's your headphones that might be ruined. If a headphone is solid enough, it will survive, but it will certainly distort. Focal Elex will be dead immediately due to the most fragile coil in the world. DC at 6 Watts will displace the membrane to the extreme. Any planars might be easily damaged. Anything that has more or less fragile membrane or coil.

May 10, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #875 of 2,563
I see. A failure or something that happened with my jds atom amp broke a 70ohm sennheiser driver. Same amp, with same problem, with a cheap iem, the driver burnt immediately and smelt to burnt. But this was due to amp failure.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #876 of 2,563
Have you guys watched this?

May 11, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #877 of 2,563
Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #878 of 2,563
May 11, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #879 of 2,563
great comparison between Burson Soloist 3XP, SA-1 and Jot 2.
Loved the video, I really doubt there are much differences between Soloist and SA-1 besides the usage of the Bursons Vivid Op-amps slightly coloring the sound

May 11, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #880 of 2,563
Loved the video, I really doubt there are much differences between Soloist and SA-1 besides the usage of the Bursons Vivid Op-amps slightly coloring the sound
Vs the Soloist 3XP the reviewer said the SA-1 is bit more richer and smoother. Soloist is bit more neutral and analytical. Glad I picked the SA-1 as these were my top choices and I do prefer more rich smooth sounds.

May 11, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #881 of 2,563
Vs the Soloist 3XP the reviewer said the SA-1 is bit more richer and smoother. Soloist is bit more neutral and analytical. Glad I picked the SA-1 as these were my top choices and I do prefer more rich smooth sounds.
That is really surprising yeah, Burson should be richer and smoother because of the Vivid op-amps, I have experimented those in my Topping A30 and makes every song funnier and more engaging to listen to, it also produces a fatigue but enjoyable sometimes :D

May 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #882 of 2,563
That is really surprising yeah, Burson should be richer and smoother because of the Vivid op-amps, I have experimented those in my Topping A30 and makes every song funnier and more engaging to listen to, it also produces a fatigue but enjoyable sometimes :D
the SA-1 is a discrete design with resistors and capacitors. Burson uses op-amps. Not entirely sure of Burson design inside but this might be the reason.

May 11, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #883 of 2,563
I've been using the SA-1 with SE cable only, ordered a balanced cable, looking forward to get it to be able to enjoy that other step up. This australian guy makes very good reviews always, very detailed and he doesn't miss anything. Just he said the build is standard, nothing remarkable... the build is quite solid compared to others of similar price or lower. Much beefier. Doesn't mention the heat or burn in time or time from turning it on to perform well.

He says Burson is more life like, more tridimensional, or more depth to the sound. And then also more resolving, and I think he doesn't mean that Burson is more clinical like A90, but that SA-1 loses a tiny bit of detail, and depth of sound, just a bit, but gets that richness, lush, class A sound, warmish, little tiny bit of reverb. I think that is what he means.

May 11, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #884 of 2,563
I am about 4 hours in and trying to zone into the sound.... wider left right field than my Gilmore. Using the simple TMB analogy feel more 25% 30% 45% ish weighted in my thoughts so far.
Treble not biting, mids smooth, A1 vocals from power on, detailed but the Bass deep but a little over powering ATM and a little bleed into the mids.
Unfair as an early comparison but what i am finding going through Electronics/ brain burn in.... and may help others as they get thiers.. in there initial impressions..

So far better than my Gilmore in many aspects and like it but hope it balances out more on time but any thing under 200 hours in normally doesn't count. Especially as you guys have told me to expect more to come..

Thank you all on here so far for your help advice and views.
Really appreciated 😁

Chord Qutest
Dan Clarks Ethers 2
Nord streamer
Many custom power add ons

David

May 12, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #885 of 2,563

The V6 Vivids are quite clean in a clean system. It's often the volume pot that smooths out or warms up the sound in a lot of amps/pre-amps. Case in point the Composer vs Soloist. The Soloist's volume control is insanely transparent and it really helps improve the insight into the music.

the SA-1 is a discrete design with resistors and capacitors. Burson uses op-amps. Not entirely sure of Burson design inside but this might be the reason.
Burson op-amps are actually discrete (V6s at least, V5s are a hybrid) so the Soloist is also a fully discrete, Class A (I think) headphone amp.

Both the SA-1 and Soloist are excellent - really depends on what you're looking for and listening with as to which will be preferred, but I do think the Soloist is technically superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back