Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
May 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #736 of 2,563
What's surprising about this amp is it sounds warm and organic, not at all clinical, and it does so while measuring really well apparently. I don't care much about measurements, more about how it sounds to me, but I appreciate a well engineered product. Topping and SMSL will need to step up their game!

I'm tempted to try the jumpers, I have a few I can pull off really old PC components I have lying around. Not sure if it's worth it, but something to play with later on.
There are so many things that can not be measured yet, and still are clearly there. Topping and SMSL have been playing the measurements and features and price game, but then that only takes you so far sound wise, but also less warranty, more failure due to lower quality parts, cheap tiny pots, only DS dacs with uber clinical sound. Or a bit weird aesthetics, or blue displays like SMSL... Other companies like Schiit for example looked way forward, looked for pleasurable sound, multibit organic dacs, and 5 years warranty. this amp or a jot2 amp, will play well with an RME or Ares2 or bifrost 2 multibit I guess, or any good ds dac like gustard or whatever suits your boat.

May 1, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #737 of 2,563
There are so many things that can not be measured yet, and still are clearly there. Topping and SMSL have been playing the measurements and features and price game, but then that only takes you so far sound wise, but also less warranty, more failure due to lower quality parts, cheap tiny pots, only DS dacs with uber clinical sound. Or a bit weird aesthetics, or blue displays like SMSL... Other companies like Schiit for example looked way forward, looked for pleasurable sound, multibit organic dacs, and 5 years warranty. this amp or a jot2 amp, will play well with an RME or Ares2 or bifrost 2 multibit I guess, or any good ds dac like gustard or whatever suits your boat.
Options, options, options. :)

May 1, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #738 of 2,563
To all those wondering about the Susvara with this amp, let me ease your concerns. YES the amp can handle the Susvara without any problems. I'm using my TT2 SE into the RCA in of the amp. Volume on the amp is turned up all the way, so I'm essentially bypassing it's volume control and using it as a power amp. I'm controlling the volume from the TT2 and it's getting plenty loud while I'm not even close to the standard DAC output level of the TT2. I'm a good 12db below that, which leaves plenty of headroom.

It's easy to tell when the Susvara isn't being driven properly, it sounds dead and very light on bass - that's not what I'm hearing at all here. The Susvara is energetic with juicy bass.

I'm sure the amp will get even better with break-in. The preamp outs to my monitors sound great as well. At this price, this amp is a winner and an easy recommendation.
Thanks for this detail impression. What about the headroom on volume pot while adequately driving Susvara to 77-80db?

May 1, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #739 of 2,563
Can I ask, what are you all doing in regard to powering the amp off? Are you leaving it on all the time? The switch on the front which say's HPA/PRE/OFF. Is it actually turning it off? Or do you use the switch on the back?

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #740 of 2,563
Thanks for this detail impression. What about the headroom on volume pot while adequately driving Susvara to 77-80db?
You might need to push the volume way up but it has enough headroom for the Susvara. It seems to get really loud near the end of the volume, so don't be afraid to set it as high as you need. You're just lowering the attenuation on the signal before it enters the amplification stage. I use it turned all the way up and then control volume digitally with the TT2, and like I stated before, I rarely get close to the standard DAC output level, I'm about 12db lower.

May 1, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #742 of 2,563
Has this been compared by anyone to the Liquid Gold or Platinum by chance?
I have and I would go with the SA1 from what I'm hearing out of it. Maybe the Platinum because you can change flavors of the input stage with tubes, but the Liquid Gold X was a severe disappointment and just didn't work properly for me. That DAC on it is pretty useless as well.

May 2, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #744 of 2,563
Can I ask, what are you all doing in regard to powering the amp off? Are you leaving it on all the time? The switch on the front which say's HPA/PRE/OFF. Is it actually turning it off? Or do you use the switch on the back?
I use a individual switchable power strip since I can not reach the switch on the back easily in my rack. So I do turn it off when not used (for power saving and to extend the life of the built-in components), since the switch on the front does not actually turn-off the unit and stays very warm.

May 2, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #745 of 2,563
@domiji
Great Googling 👍😁 i wonder if other languages seem just not quite right for our Chinese friends when they translate in google.... We all moan and worry about the same issues..... Fuse arguments, power conditioners MODS🤔... Even direct soldering the cap pins lol. Component replacement Mod potential is interesting for those with the technical ability but always about changing the flavour of the sound.

I have to wait and see.. if i feel its better than what i have and i enjoy it with my modest chain... i have invested a lot in power improvements so hopefully i can get the most out of the SA1.

What i really wanted was the Sparkos Labs Aries but if wishes were fishes....

So easy to do mod but no guide yet for taking the lid off. A fuse swap may be pleasing to the tonality...

Stay safe all 😷
Dave🙂

May 2, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #747 of 2,563
I have measured the "incoming" DC at the headphone cable and in my case it is the same with or without the jumpers (dc coupling).

So at least in my case it is safe. It is also fairly easy to measure the incoming DC from a DAC with a simple multimeter :

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-DC-Offset

May 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #748 of 2,563
Proud silver metal knob SA-1 in da house

sa1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back