Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #661 of 2,563
So I just purchased an Ares2. I have to know what it's like, it'll drive me insane never finding out.
very tempted to try a R2R dac to hear what all the fuss is about too. Please report your results vs best delta sigma dac you have heard as a comparison. The Ares II or Pontus II got me very interested if it is need fuller body, more airy, natural and more organic sounding, wider sound stage as they say.

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #662 of 2,563
Different as in better? Do tell
Lol you tease. I hope its a good different
Lol you tease. I hope its a good different

Alright, just a slighty OOT (sorry OP) X16 was an upgrade from my previous DAC, Topping D70 (AKM4497EQ).
With Topping A90 + X16 my setup is becoming an "uber" bright sounding setup especially paired with HD800 (SDR),
although those details and resolutions are really shining with the previous setup, Ares II was my first entry to R-2R and the real key difference is in the technicalities.
It can be detailed enough to my liking but somewhat some of the songs in my playlist has a certain distinct "distortion" as if the DAC wasn't fully rendered the music?
this only applies to certain music (especially with complex math rock / instrumentals), but I can see the analog appeal out this DAC, with NOS mode on, the sound is widened a bit compared to OS mode, yet i can identify the location of instruments within the track. This kinda worries me a bit if I gone sell my A90 and get a Class A amp someday, cause the warmness of this DAC might suited best with the neutral or analytical amp.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #663 of 2,563
Thanks for that mate. A little worrying I have to say, I listen to the same music. I was hoping intense parts would be rendered clearer and not just mush up into a wall of noise like it does on every day dac I've ever owned. The distortion thing is especially troubling, I'm very sensitive to clipping sounds and distortion which most modern music is riddled with. Oh no...
Well, time will tell.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #664 of 2,563
· I have been testing SA-1 and Jot 2 with Arya and Clear for 5 days. XLR was used as output (Forza Noir Hybrid HPC cable)
· Bifrost 2 was the DAC used.
· Both amps were connected 24/7 to the same pure sine wave UPS.
· XLR and RCA were used for this test (Mogami XLR and AudioQuest RCA) (DAC>AMP)
· A/B test took less than 1 second to switch between the amps. Volume were matched using a sound meter and 1khz tone. Low gain and Low Z.
· For this test I selected songs that I knew 100% from start to end. HQ FLACs with Foobar2000 and JRiver. ASIO/Bit Perfect mode.

SA-1: Very first time I noticed the same as with A90. Really clean and detailed sound, dark background, very defined and sharp, but not TOO sharp.
Jot 2: I won't forget the first time with this, the slam everyone was talking about is real, how it presents the music the first hours until your ears make use to it was a really gratifying experience.

Differences are really small, very hard to notice but they're there, it was easier to find them with Arya so I opted to only use the Arya for this comparison.

SA-1 is more accurate playing music, slightly superior to Jot 2, sharper if you will. Details of songs come out easily to the point where some instruments sound like they have an sharpy edge attached to them, like it sharpens every sound on purpose and I don't really like that, it's not as analytical as A90 but it's there. Anyhow, this is extremelly hard to notice in A/B test.

Changing to Jot 2 I had to try the same song over and over to find real differences to avoid psychoacoustics from controlling my mind and judgment. Like when you eat sushi and take a laminae of ginger to refresh the palate.

Jot 2 doesn't sound as sharp nor defined/detailed as SA-1. It has something that smoothes the edges of some instruments attaining/making them sound more real/natural to my ears. I always seek organic/texturized sound over sharp/detail. I've had the luck to assist many times to events like Distant Worlds in different countries with different echoes, distances and room sizes and I know how instruments must sound in real life.

Soundstage, wide, depth, air etc was almost identical to my ears. Both were able to transmit holographic sound and with Arya it was very easy to pinpoint instruments in space with both amps. But of course, it was always depending on how the music was recorded and the intention of the engineer behind it.

Volume: While the Jot 2 moves the Arya effortlessly at 12 o'clock without high gain with SA-1 I had to go 2-3 o'clock, always low gain both amps.
Volume update 04/23/21: It opened somehow and now it is almost similar in power, Arya at 12 and SA-1 at 12:30 for a normal listening (both amps matched in volume using sound meter)

Temporal Verdict:

You cannot never go wrong with any of these 2 amps, they are both beasts at playing music in a really pleasant way, I wouldn't care to keep one or the other but to my ears from my own perspective, liking and judgment I must go, for now, with Jotunheim 2.

I'm not a Schiit fan-boy and I have nothing against the infame so-called Chi-Fi, I respect every company's work and the people behind it. I'm not a professional or audio engineer but I know what I like and how the things I like must sound.

I will make more tests in the next days and I really want to try DC mode using jumpers with the SA-1 when I make sure it is safe.

Update 04/24/2021:
While I still prefer the Jotunheim 2 over the SA-1 from the words above, the SA-1 keeps getting better day after day and I must be honest here: I still prefer the Jot 2 but I really want to keep trying SA-1 to get the best out of it and see what I do, specially now that I got a Final D8000 Pro and it sounds almost perfect even from the mobile.

Hello :)

thanks for your great comparision! Did you still use the SA-1 with your Aryas in low gain mode?

Best
Dominik

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #665 of 2,563
Singxer SA-1 pairs exceptionally well with the Arya in low-gain/low-z mode :L3000:

IMG_20210427_142237.jpg

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #666 of 2,563
Hello :)

thanks for your great comparision! Did you still use the SA-1 with your Aryas in low gain mode?

Best
Dominik
I don't usually use Arya anymore but I really enjoyed the crystal clear sound from SA-1 with it, extremelly detailed sound and enough bass without EQ!

Low gain mode when default tuning and high gain when EQed, I think SA-1 can make Arya sound to its best where it's all about the quality of the music recording you play and I can say that Arya is very very cheap at its price, compared to D8000 Pro, Arya performs amazingly good.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #667 of 2,563
I don't usually use Arya anymore but I really enjoyed the crystal clear sound from SA-1 with it, extremelly detailed sound and enough bass without EQ!

Low gain mode when default tuning and high gain when EQed, I think SA-1 can make Arya sound to its best where it's all about the quality of the music recording you play and I can say that Arya is very very cheap at its price, compared to D8000 Pro, Arya performs amazingly good.

Thank you very much :)

Do you may can post your EQ settings for the Arya with the SA-1? That would be aweseome :)

Best
Dominik

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #668 of 2,563
Thank you very much :)

Do you may can post your EQ settings for the Arya with the SA-1? That would be aweseome :)

Best
Dominik
Of course! I have many but I prefer this so far, I can send you all of them in private if you want. I'd recommend high gain for this profile, try bass songs ;D
1619530434890.png

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #670 of 2,563
Alright, just a slighty OOT (sorry OP) X16 was an upgrade from my previous DAC, Topping D70 (AKM4497EQ).
With Topping A90 + X16 my setup is becoming an "uber" bright sounding setup especially paired with HD800 (SDR),
although those details and resolutions are really shining with the previous setup, Ares II was my first entry to R-2R and the real key difference is in the technicalities.
It can be detailed enough to my liking but somewhat some of the songs in my playlist has a certain distinct "distortion" as if the DAC wasn't fully rendered the music?
this only applies to certain music (especially with complex math rock / instrumentals), but I can see the analog appeal out this DAC, with NOS mode on, the sound is widened a bit compared to OS mode, yet i can identify the location of instruments within the track. This kinda worries me a bit if I gone sell my A90 and get a Class A amp someday, cause the warmness of this DAC might suited best with the neutral or analytical amp.
If you can use A90+DS dac + Senn HD800, and your ears do not even bleed yet, maybe, other components more "analog" sounding might be very imprecise, or lacking something or... no? I would certainly like to try one of those clinical setups, but then just swap just the dac for R2r ad test, or swap just the amp for a class A and test, or change ust the headphones and test... will depend on each person's ears and music, but interesting to try it all out non the less.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #673 of 2,563
A similar here..
In 35mm and the same seller has and 38mm
€ 7,43 4%OFF | HIFI audio amp Aluminum Volume knob 1pcs Diameter 35mm Height 22mm amplifier Potentiometer knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrHdZL3

And another one with more height 30mm

€ 7,65 35%OFF | KYYSLB 26*30 30*30 34*30 40*30MM Volume Potentiometer Knob CD Amplifier Chassis Switch Instrument All Aluminum Solid Knob https://a.aliexpress.com/_mszWlnj

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #674 of 2,563
If you can use A90+DS dac + Senn HD800, and your ears do not even bleed yet, maybe, other components more "analog" sounding might be very imprecise, or lacking something or... no? I would certainly like to try one of those clinical setups, but then just swap just the dac for R2r ad test, or swap just the amp for a class A and test, or change ust the headphones and test... will depend on each person's ears and music, but interesting to try it all out non the less.
I still got my cayin n6ii with E02 module (ESS9038Q2M), in some occasion i swapped the balanced input to cayin just to AB test between
R-2R and Delta Sigma, turns out i still prefer delta sigma sound for most of my playlist but i still can’t shake those goosebump moment like someone whispering from my back when i first tested ares ii. So i’m grateful i can enjoy both worlds right now.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #675 of 2,563
...seems everyone is busy uglifying...err...knobifying his/her SA-1:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@domiji did you have any other DAC before the Singxer SDA-6 Pro you can compare to? I am still on the fence if the SDA-6 would be an option for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back