Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #391 of 2,587
I have read not so great things about the single ended performance of this amp. Do you guys find that true from first hand experience? And if so, is that for the output to headphone, the input from DAC (RCA), or both? Is this amp worth it for someone who only has RCA dac and single ended headphones? Some headphones might get a balanced cable upgrade one day, but not all can, and my gaming DAC only outputs RCA.

Really amazed how many good reviews this amp is getting!

edit: also, if one would buy a separate balanced DAC for this, has anyone figured out a way to create a neat stack? Somewhat obsessed by that LMAO.
I just switched the same headphone from balanced to single ended (Hart Audio Cables system), did not hear any significant changes, besides you need to adjust the volume again, since lower power output. I also use my "main" DAC for the Singxer (Musician Pegasus) connected by RCA to the SA-1 ... also no major differences to XLR (if so thats by the DAC itself). So I would assume you can use it fully SE both for input and output with no major degradation in sound quality (if any at all).
Singxer itself has a DAC, but that has not same size (and is much more expensive), but you can many options like (RME ADI-2 DAC, Gustard X16/A18, Topping etc.)

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #392 of 2,587
I have read not so great things about the single ended performance of this amp. Do you guys find that true from first hand experience? And if so, is that for the output to headphone, the input from DAC (RCA), or both? Is this amp worth it for someone who only has RCA dac and single ended headphones?
I am using single ended from my 4i4 the SA-1 then single ended to my HD800 and they have dynamics and punch, great sound stage when the recordings production has these attributes. I can drive them loud with no harshness.

I have not noticed any post's about the single ended being bad, it sounds great to me.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #393 of 2,587
Hi all, this is my first post after months of lurking. In the past year, I started getting into mid-fi gear and one of the most recent product I purchased is the SA-1. My main set up consists of Amazon Music HD -> (USB) Denafrips Ares II -> (XLR) SA-1. I primarily use Hifiman Arya and Focal Elex both balanced using Hart audio cable. I bought the SA-1 because I was not happy with the Topping A90's sound as well as the impedance mismatch between the Ares II and A90 using balanced connections. Having listened to the SA-1 for few hours, SA-1 sounds like what I expected the A90 to sound like.

Other have already mentioned several key characteristics of the SA-1 and they were immediately apparent (i.e. better bass and ever so slightly warmer sound) relative to the A90. However, SA-1 also has a noticeably better transient response (or decay) that makes cymbal and drum hits sound very defined/snappy and I wonder whether this contributes further to the impression of a better bass performance.

I also have the Emotiva BasX-100, which is also a class A/B amp, and although the bass response on it is amazing (especially on the Elex), I don't use it very it often due to the upper frequencies sounding dithered and not refined. The SA-1 sound signature reminds me of an amp you get when you mix the A90 and BasX-100 - it has the airy top end of the A90 while the low frequency kicks like the BasX. As I am not a huge fan of very warm sounding gear (I like the airy sparkle), the SA-1's sound signature is exactly what I was looking for and I am very happy with the purchase.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #394 of 2,587
Hi all, this is my first post after months of lurking. In the past year, I started getting into mid-fi gear and one of the most recent product I purchased is the SA-1. My main set up consists of Amazon Music HD -> (USB) Denafrips Ares II -> (XLR) SA-1. I primarily use Hifiman Arya and Focal Elex both balanced using Hart audio cable. I bought the SA-1 because I was not happy with the Topping A90's sound as well as the impedance mismatch between the Ares II and A90 using balanced connections. Having listened to the SA-1 for few hours, SA-1 sounds like what I expected the A90 to sound like.

Other have already mentioned several key characteristics of the SA-1 and they were immediately apparent (i.e. better bass and ever so slightly warmer sound) relative to the A90. However, SA-1 also has a noticeably better transient response (or decay) that makes cymbal and drum hits sound very defined/snappy and I wonder whether this contributes further to the impression of a better bass performance.

I also have the Emotiva BasX-100, which is also a class A/B amp, and although the bass response on it is amazing (especially on the Elex), I don't use it very it often due to the upper frequencies sounding dithered and not refined. The SA-1 sound signature reminds me of an amp you get when you mix the A90 and BasX-100 - it has the airy top end of the A90 while the low frequency kicks like the BasX. As I am not a huge fan of very warm sounding gear (I like the airy sparkle), the SA-1's sound signature is exactly what I was looking for and I am very happy with the purchase.
Nice setup. Are you using Amazon HD directly on website or is there a dedicated app? So the Denafrips Ares II pairs well with the SA-1? I am considering upgrading the dac or getting a second one being R2R and Denafrips Pontus/Ares II is circled for consideration.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #395 of 2,587
Nice setup. Are you using Amazon HD directly on website or is there a dedicated app? So the Denafrips Ares II pairs well with the SA-1? I am considering upgrading the dac or getting a second one being R2R and Denafrips Pontus/Ares II is circled for consideration.
I'm using the dedicated app (Windows 10) in direct mode. Toggling direct mode clearly increases the dbs but not sure if anything else changes if you volume match.

As to whether the SA-1 pairs well with Ares II, I think they sound the best out of all the gear I have thus far but unfortunately, this isn't saying much as the only other DAC in my possession is the E30 and I haven't used it with the SA-1 yet. To tell you the truth, I didn't feel like there was a quantum leap in sound quality when I got the Ares II as I did with some of my headphones or the SA-1. I fully realize however that this may be b/c I do not have the ears and/or the gears resolving enough to discern.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #396 of 2,587
I'm using the dedicated app (Windows 10) in direct mode. Toggling direct mode clearly increases the dbs but not sure if anything else changes if you volume match.

As to whether the SA-1 pairs well with Ares II, I think they sound the best out of all the gear I have thus far but unfortunately, this isn't saying much as the only other DAC in my possession is the E30 and I haven't used it with the SA-1 yet. To tell you the truth, I didn't feel like there was a quantum leap in sound quality when I got the Ares II as I did with some of my headphones or the SA-1. I fully realize however that this may be b/c I do not have the ears and/or the gears resolving enough to discern.
That is not unusual. I felt the same way about my Bifrost 2. A DAC makes the smallest difference in your chain, by far, unless it's broken or just inferior.
Biggest payoff is headphones, followed by amp upgrade.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #398 of 2,587
I'm seriously considering selling the SU-9. Just because I can just split the XLR signal from the RME to both the THX 789 and the SA-1. And the Singxer has the pre-amp connection to my Loxjie P20 and my Valhalla 2... so yeah. The RME is quite capable as a "pure" DAC, and, honestly, I use the SE from time to time because of the different profiles per output (as in, I can keep an EQ profile lined up for the Phones output and always plug my Ananda or Elex there).
How are you splitting the digital signal from the RME to the two amps exactly? I think the RME only has one xlr output.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #399 of 2,587
Anybody running HD 6xx, HD800S or HD650 on the SA-1? If so, what’s your gain setting, Z setting, and normal volume level?
I am using the HD800 non s on low Z, using high Z has less bass and slam when listening to progressive trance and has a smaller soundstage sounding closer to my RNHP.

I like the sound of high gain for the 800 as it gives it more energy it is less laid back with more slam in the bass area to my ears.
Volume around 10-11.
It is the best my 800 has sounded to date for me on my audio journey.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #401 of 2,587
Anybody running HD 6xx, HD800S or HD650 on the SA-1? If so, what’s your gain setting, Z setting, and normal volume level?
should be low gain and high Z

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #402 of 2,587
should be low gain and high Z

That’s interesting. I am not getting the expected performance with that configuration - not only Hi-Z makes the sound a bit... weirder, but in Low Gain, I need to crank both my HD800S and HD6xx to 3-4 o’clock to get enough listening volume. That’s why I was asking. Also, it feels like the volume control is exponential - after 4 o’clock (in Low Gain), it increases substantially.

I’m hesitant of switching to High Gain because the other headphones I have here are lower impedance (Clear Mg Pro, Ananda, etc.), and High Gain is way overkill for those.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #403 of 2,587
think about it, talk it with the wife to check her opinion about it, if it worth it maybe to take that walk on the wild side and test the high gain and or move the impedance switch. You never know what awaits you around the corner. In any case, it is quite a decision, so give it as much time as needed.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #404 of 2,587
An XLR splitter cable I bought at Amazon (well, two, technically).
but does it reduce the amount of available power going into each amp? Because the dac is sending analogue signals out to the amps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #405 of 2,587
but does it reduce the amount of available power going into each amp? Because the dac is sending analogue signals out to the amps.
No it doesn't. At least not in a noticeable way. I am using a split cable from my Schiit Bifrost2 out to my Violectric V220 and Liquid Platinum. The sound is clean and I have not noted any difference in power levels going straight out or split out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Etx1
Back