Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #376 of 2,587
Ok, wow, now it really came alive. Anything over 9 oclock is deafening now. Thanks, I might actually just go with Low Gain on this one.
Mine has shipped finally. Expected this week sometime. Will update everyone how it sounds compare to the existing Drop THX AAA 789 pair with a SMSL SU-9 dac. I have an Allo USBridge Signature Player streamer on the way. Will compare Audirvana from Mac mini vs using the streamer later when it arrives next month.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #377 of 2,587
Mine has shipped finally. Expected this week sometime. Will update everyone how it sounds compare to the existing Drop THX AAA 789 pair with a SMSL SU-9 dac. I have an Allo USBridge Signature Player streamer on the way. Will compare Audirvana from Mac mini vs using the streamer later when it arrives next month.

I also use Mac and Audirvana. Remember this class A(A-A/B) amp it needs a bit of time to sound properly, apparently. Give it some time folks before drawing final conclusions, other buyers experienced the same thing, they said... I think before may they will all be delivered, all of those who already have ordered earlier in the month. Covid+sweppes canal+logistics crazy worldwide+end of chinese new year, not good.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #378 of 2,587
Funny, that's the same config I own - SU-9 with THX 789. And I now have an RME ADI-2 FS DAC outputting to the Singxer SA-1.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #379 of 2,587
I do not have any real basis to draw from and am very new to this hobby but compared to the best I had (1990 Onkyo receiver), the Gustard X16 and Singxer SA-1 is amazing! The clarity on my Hifiman Sundara is just beautiful. If I had to call it, it has a warm tone but then again I am currently listening to Chris Botti and his trumpet had a warmth to it. Listened prior to that to Billy Joel Lullabye and it was great. Love the highs and there is definitely more bass now with this than the old receiver. Then some Han Halen 51/50 and I was afraid the Sundara would lack bass but there it was to my surprise! Enough punch without being booming. Next was the free Spotify Dead Poet's Society. Curious how the pipes and the tinkling beginning would sound. Then to Game of Thrones. Windmills of your Mind by Michela Lombardi was crystal clear and every hit of the drum and cymbals with the brush was as if I could hear each filament strike. The plucking of the string bass you can hear how the string is stretched and the note changes with each pluck. I will say that I almost want a slight touch more brightness only in her voice otherwise it was amazing.

With the Sundara on low gain, I am at about 3 O'clock on the dial for comfortable listening but I tend to like it a little louder than most. I would not be surprised many would listen on 1 or 2 o'clock. I switched to high gain and I only moved the dial down to 1 o'clock. Not sure which gain I prefer but both drive them well.

On a few songs, there could have been more bass. Sundara are what they are. VH Seventh Seal needed more punch but was very clear. Then again, I have only heard these songs through lousy stuff so who am I to judge.

Now I am using the cheapest RCA I had to connect them. Better cables are on their way. I also would like to get a reasonable balanced cable for the Sundara, if you have any recommendations, let me know.

Very impressed with the clarity and the sound is how I would want it. It has enough sparkle for the highs to be clear for me and yet it doesn't overpower the mids and bass. I like the balance overall. Still lots of learning to do as to what to look for and how to detect all the subtle differences in gear but I am just blown away by this stack. Being my first DAC and HPA, that was bound to happen with just about anything I got. It is so much better than the built in motherboard outputs and and is slightly better than the receiver but definitely noticeable. What blows me away is hearing the sound differences between each source and how they express the music. No EQ on any of the components.

Very happy and cannot wait for it to be fully broken in. I was surprised how much the Sundara changed after putting over 150+ hours on them. Some of the sparkle/brightness is gone but now it is just enough instead of prominent. I never felt they were too much. Wonder how this stack will sound a a couple weeks of listening.

All the best to all of you who have one on order.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #380 of 2,587
Funny, that's the same config I own - SU-9 with THX 789. And I now have an RME ADI-2 FS DAC outputting to the Singxer SA-1.
how do you compare the RME vs SU-9 dac connected to the SA-1 or in general? I am on the fence about keeping my SU-9 or not.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #383 of 2,587
how do you compare the RME vs SU-9 dac connected to the SA-1 or in general? I am on the fence about keeping my SU-9 or not.
I'm seriously considering selling the SU-9. Just because I can just split the XLR signal from the RME to both the THX 789 and the SA-1. And the Singxer has the pre-amp connection to my Loxjie P20 and my Valhalla 2... so yeah. The RME is quite capable as a "pure" DAC, and, honestly, I use the SE from time to time because of the different profiles per output (as in, I can keep an EQ profile lined up for the Phones output and always plug my Ananda or Elex there).

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #384 of 2,587
I'm seriously considering selling the SU-9. Just because I can just split the XLR signal from the RME to both the THX 789 and the SA-1. And the Singxer has the pre-amp connection to my Loxjie P20 and my Valhalla 2... so yeah. The RME is quite capable as a "pure" DAC, and, honestly, I use the SE from time to time because of the different profiles per output (as in, I can keep an EQ profile lined up for the Phones output and always plug my Ananda or Elex there).
I'm planning to sell the THX 789 as I expect the SA-1 to be better. Interesting you are keeping both. You find them different?

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #385 of 2,587
I'm planning to sell the THX 789 as I expect the SA-1 to be better. Interesting you are keeping both. You find them different?
A bit too early to tell. As you know, the THX 789 is as transparent as it gets, while the Singxer sounds, so far, a bit... different. Not worse or better, just different. I *might* keep the THX just to have a reference, but I don't know yet. Need more testing.

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #386 of 2,587
A bit too early to tell. As you know, the THX 789 is as transparent as it gets, while the Singxer sounds, so far, a bit... different. Not worse or better, just different. I *might* keep the THX just to have a reference, but I don't know yet. Need more testing.
That should be the case...those two are supposed to compliment each other and not replace each other.

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #388 of 2,587
That should be the case...those two are supposed to compliment each other and not replace each other.
Maybe I’ll need to test and end up keeping both after all haha

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #390 of 2,587
I have read not so great things about the single ended performance of this amp. Do you guys find that true from first hand experience? And if so, is that for the output to headphone, the input from DAC (RCA), or both? Is this amp worth it for someone who only has RCA dac and single ended headphones? Some headphones might get a balanced cable upgrade one day, but not all can, and my gaming DAC only outputs RCA.

Really amazed how many good reviews this amp is getting!

edit: also, if one would buy a separate balanced DAC for this, has anyone figured out a way to create a neat stack? Somewhat obsessed by that LMAO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back