Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Aug 8, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #2,326 of 2,569
Hi all apologies for the silly question but don't know where else to ask.

I have a chord mojo 2 which I plan to use as a DAC feeding the singxer sa 1.

The mojo 2 is single ended only so I will need to use RCA inputs to the singxer.

Can I then use the balanced headphone out, even though the input is not balanced? Is this an issue?

Cheers!
I don't think this is an issue.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #2,327 of 2,569
You won’t be getting the best that the SA-1 has to offer, as it’s been optimized for balanced in, balanced out. But going SE in, balanced out is second best followed by SE in, SE out. Just don’t do balanced in, SE out. It won’t damage anything but just is suboptimal on this device.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #2,328 of 2,569
You won’t be getting the best that the SA-1 has to offer, as it’s been optimized for balanced in, balanced out. But going SE in, balanced out is second best followed by SE in, SE out. Just don’t do balanced in, SE out. It won’t damage anything but just is suboptimal on this device.
Yes because balanced input and single ended output has a high gain mode of 5db maximum.
Balanced input and balanced output has 11db and single ended input balanced output is 17db to offset going from 4 volts to 2 volts.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,331 of 2,569
I have tried mine se and balanced in and balanced out
The se in sounded better from my oppo than the balanced in from my Fiio Bt-7
(I listen sacd on the oppo against Roon and tidal on the Bt-7)
I use the balanced out to feed my Loxjie P20 I really like that combination

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #2,332 of 2,569
I have tried mine se and balanced in and balanced out
The se in sounded better from my oppo than the balanced in from my Fiio Bt-7
(I listen sacd on the oppo against Roon and tidal on the Bt-7)
I use the balanced out to feed my Loxjie P20 I really like that combination

You need to use the same source to compare, too many variables otherwise (oppo vs Fiio will of course sound different)

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #2,333 of 2,569
You need to use the same source to compare, too many variables otherwise (oppo vs Fiio will of course sound different)
Unfortunately my oppo 203 has not got balanced out but. I did borrow my brothers Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC it was similar to the fiio.I still preferred the oppo se on slow roll off with sacd but that could be down to the master recording or my connecting rca cable there are plenty of variables.
But in whole I am very impressed with the SE in, so much so that I am not tempted to spend £££ on a balanced r2r dac that has hdmi in(well not yet).

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #2,334 of 2,569
Hi all apologies for the silly question but don't know where else to ask.

I have a chord mojo 2 which I plan to use as a DAC feeding the singxer sa 1.

The mojo 2 is single ended only so I will need to use RCA inputs to the singxer.

Can I then use the balanced headphone out, even though the input is not balanced? Is this an issue?

Cheers!
Hi Yeahnarighto,
The important part is that you intend on using the balance headphone output. That is the more powerful of the two outputs and should be used when using the Singxer SA-1.
As for signal output of your DAC being single ended won't really make much difference. You should be getting beautiful sound out of that DAC. However, I do recommend that you inquire what amplifiers pair well with your intended headphones before purchasing a Singxer. The Singxer SA-1 is a good amp, but I usually prefer other amplifiers over it with most headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #2,335 of 2,569
The Singxer SA-1 is a good amp, but I usually prefer other amplifiers over it with most headphones.
Recently I’ve also got this feeling. The SA-1 is very… polite. Maybe because it’s so transparent and I just like the euphonics of some even order harmonics? Thinking about selling mine.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #2,336 of 2,569
That's quite true, it is a very good amp but it is not what I would call exciting.

It does what a good amp should do, and amplifies the signal without adding or taking anything away, which does mean some will find it a little boring.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #2,337 of 2,569
Recently I’ve also got this feeling. The SA-1 is very… polite. Maybe because it’s so transparent and I just like the euphonics of some even order harmonics? Thinking about selling mine.
I love the sa1 because of it's lack of graininess. Yes it can sound slightly veiled but that is not my priority. I love my Rebel amp because of it's dynamics and lush sound but it does have some slight graininess that bothers me from time to time.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,338 of 2,569
I just rotated my Singxer SA-1 into my computer setup to pull double duty as speaker preamp. It's XLR preamp out run to Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 4 powered speakers and RCA preamp out to a Pioneer subwoofer. There are two glaringly obvious benefits off the bat over the audibly superior Schiit Jotunheim 2. First, the much cooler operating temperatures of the SA-1 provides an option of stacking another amp on top of these and doesn't heat up my room. Second, the SA-1 has a preamp switch that cuts sound from the headphone output so I am not required to remove headphones every single time I listen to speakers. This also avoids excessive wear on headphone cable plugs and equipment sockets. The DAC feeding the SA-1 is a Schiit Bifrost 2 OG via balanced XLR cable.

IMG_2367.JPG
This combination is replacing my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/digial-preamp which sounded almost just as good when listening with speakers. However, the footprint now is super small compared to the HUGE XDA-2 that has a footprint of four of these. Also, changing volume on my Emotiva was painfully slow at a snails pace since it is digital. I now love the satisfaction of immediate responsive control reaching for a volume knob or flipping a switch for headphone listening.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #2,340 of 2,569
I use it as a pre for my AE1actives, and it's great, think i mentioned earlier, can't go wrong really
Yeah. Usually I prioritize headphone performance and synergy. So, it is rare that I grab the SA-1. However, real world application with speaker gear really makes the Singxer SA-1 shine. Of my amp collection, none offer balanced preamp output unless they are putting out serious heat. My HeadAmp GS-X mini is a space heater and I live in the desert so it is a no go for my computer system that will be left on most of the time. I shall survive content with performance of the Singxer SA-1 paired with some of my dynamic driver headphones when simply listening to low bit-rate YouTube videos and surfing Facebook. I am very happy with this setup. As you said, "... can't go wrong really." I just have to get the chaotic cable management cleaned up when I get the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back