Singlepower
Apr 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 11
The ecc type 1 adapter is a tube adapter that allows you to use tubes like the 12av7, 12au7, 5814, 6829, etc.. in an amp that has octal sockets. As far as tubes to try, it seems that you already have a fair amount to try, so maybe you wantto mess with those first.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 11
So I should definetly try to get the eec type 1 adapter? Those were the tubes he listed that I "could" have. He has said that I might be able to take a whole load of the tubes and try them out. I was hoping someone could narrow down the field. I was hoping for any tubes that are known to work well in this set up. I guess im just a bit confused because so many tubes can possibly be used with the adapter. Thanks

*goes off to read huge tuberolling thread*

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by strungoutt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I should definetly try to get the eec type 1 adapter? Those were the tubes he listed that I "could" have. He has said that I might be able to take a whole load of the tubes and try them out. I was hoping someone could narrow down the field. I was hoping for any tubes that are known to work well in this set up. I guess im just a bit confused because so many tubes can possibly be used with the adapter. Thanks

*goes off to read huge tuberolling thread*

I can tell you what I specifically like. But given I have a different source and IC's and use a different headphone the recommendations may not have the same synergy.

I would get a few of each type with an emphasis on just a little brighter sound to balance out the L3000 .... unless you like a richer sound.

For a fast, clean sound with the ECC TYPE#1 and 6bl7gta output tubes try these .....
GE 5965 = $3
GE 6414 GRAYPLATE = $11
GE 6829 GRAYPLATE = $9

For a warmer more rounded sound try these ....
RCA 12AV7 = $4
Raytheon 6414 blackplate = $11
Amperex 7062 = $8

The 6SN7GT's sound very good with 5687's.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as tubes to try, it seems that you already have a fair amount to try, so maybe you wantto mess with those first.

Two of the more prominent Head-Fi's Singlepower experts have chimed in already, so you're in good hand. But allow a newbie to chime in. I love the "slam" of the 6BL tubes. I agree that before you get exotic, give some of the tubes on hand a go and see how you like them. I haven't felt the need to go beyond the tubes that Mikhail sold me with the amp.

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you what I specifically like. But given I have a different source and IC's and use a different headphone the recommendations may not have the same synergy.

I would get a few of each type with an emphasis on just a little brighter sound to balance out the L3000 .... unless you like a richer sound.

For a fast, clean sound with the ECC TYPE#1 and 6bl7gta output tubes try these .....
GE 5965 = $3
GE 6414 GRAYPLATE = $11
GE 6829 GRAYPLATE = $9

For a warmer more rounded sound try these ....
RCA 12AV7 = $4
Raytheon 6414 blackplate = $11
Amperex 7062 = $8

The 6SN7GT's sound very good with 5687's.
wink.gif

Thank you so much. That really gives me a direction to work in.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 11
The high impact output tubes are the 5687 (which require an EC type 2 adapter) and the 6BL7GTAs and Bs which require no adaptor. The 7119 is a high gain output tube (uses same adaptor as 5687) that is more melodic. The Old WWII 6SN7GTs also sound nice as output tubes, but they tend to be much softer, laid back and not many people like them here as outputs. I do.

For inputs, I would go with the general trend: there are many many good input tubes that use the EC1 adaptor. Be careful with the high gain inputs. The 12AT7 and 5751 will only work well with the 5687 and the 7119. The 6SN7GT is a fine input (no adaptor).

Good luck. I own this amp and love it.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 11
I see I got the name of the adaptors wrong. Sorry. I'm old. But I got the tubes right. What do you want from a 64-year old? My birthday is tomorrow. Happy birthday, Mac.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 11
The MPX amp is an outstanding amp! While the choices as far as tubes seems confusing right now, you will be glad for all the options that the SP amps allow as time goes by.

The tubes that the seller is offering will give you a wide sample of what is available and the different sounds that the MPX is capable of.

- augustwest

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MPX amp is an outstanding amp! While the choices as far as tubes seems confusing right now, you will be glad for all

I have 2 very different combo:

For the 6SN7GT
CBS-Hytron (airy, detailled)
KenRad VS-231 (warm, slower, very attracting bass)

for the 5687
RCA (lack details, warm ... I like that ... My headphone are on the bright side .. I like the combo). I focus more on the mids (vocals) because highs are not predominant ... they in fact recessed...)
Sylviana (detailled and noisy). It's less relaxing ... Good when we want hear the details and want the biggest impact.

You can do mix they together. With 2 sets, you can do 4 differents combinaisons and see what you prefer.

I will order a pair of tungsol 5687 .. now I look for 6SN7GT but don't know wich one take ... Best will be something good but different from Hytron and KenRad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back