Singlepower Transformer Question
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been a while since I've posted in the non-music section.

I was thinking of purchasing a second hand Singlepower MPX3 from the for sale section here as years ago I remember they were really good tube amps that everyone was raving about (and at the time I had a MAD Ear+). Now I noticed because of the Singlepower controversy over the last few years + lots of people owning the amp due to the FOTM years ago the prices of them have plummeted and become more reasonable for me.

The problem I have is that the particular amp I am looking at is a US version amp, and I live in Australia so I will have to use a step-down transformer to be able to use it (which I'm told will decrease SQ).

I was wondering would it be easy to get hands of a Supra Transformer in an Australian version (aside from Singlepower, not going near there haha) and have someone very good with electronics/tubes replace it for me?

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Then I don't know what the person who told me that was talking about

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Since you indicated you have not been reading the Headphone amp threads much, perhaps you may have missed that many Singlepower amps have serious, dangerous design flaws. That is why they have plummeted in price. The MPX3 definitely is one of the amps that might have serious issues. Unless the person you are buying it from has had it professionally looked at, or unless you plan to, you should probably not buy one.

On the other hand, if you can get it cheap enough, and you know a good local tube amp tech, you could replace the transformer (which in many cases is necessary anyway) with one that is 220V.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 8
I know such a person yes, and I am aware of the design flaws over the last few years, this is a model made in 2005? I think, before I buy I will make sure he takes pics of the internals.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fail to see how a step down transformer is going to affect SQ.

If it's not sized to provide a sufficient amount of current?

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not sized to provide a sufficient amount of current?

For once I am in total agreement.

But my response was aimed at someone who I am sure would be aware that a Tranny of adequate size would be needed.

There is a blatent LIE going around the forums that a step down or up will change the SQ when this is NOT the case.

The sooner all are aware of this the better.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a blatent LIE going around the forums that a step down or up will change the SQ when this is NOT the case.

The sooner all are aware of this the better.

I agree that a properly selected step up or down trafo should have no impact. But I'm also not sure that most people know how to select them properly for a given application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back