Singlepower SLAM Stock or with upgrades?
Nov 15, 2005 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FoolmanCool

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of securing a SLAM pretty soon, and I was wondering for those who have one, which options did you get with it, and how much of an impact these options would have on the sound?

I was thinking of getting the stock SLAM, and then sending it back to Mikhail for upgrades in the future if I needed to.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I would talk with Mikhail regarding this. You tell him your setup and sound preferences and he will tell you exactly what you need.

I myself bought the STEPPED attenuator upgrade. I think this is vital for a more neutral resolving sound. I also had blackgates put in the signal path (slightly adds more speed).

Rhydon

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Some more info on the rest of your gear, listening prefs, traits you are looking for, plans of future gear and so on would be useful in guideing you.

Also, I would certainly call Mikhail in regards to this if you have not already. SACD Lover is a headfi member worth contacting as well.

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies so far. I mainly listen to classical (strings and woodwinds), female vocals, and classic rock through my RS-1's. I'm not overly concerned with soundstage as I am with making the music I hear more musical . This will be my first headphone amp I'll own, and down the road I'll probably pick up the 650s since I've heard that they're pretty good with classical.

So far I have definitely not been dissappointed with the RS-1, and I think they add such a lush flavor to string concertos and solos.

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolmanCool
Thanks for the replies so far. I mainly listen to classical (strings and woodwinds), female vocals, and classic rock through my RS-1's. I'm not overly concerned with soundstage as I am with making the music I hear more musical . This will be my first headphone amp I'll own, and down the road I'll probably pick up the 650s since I've heard that they're pretty good with classical.

So far I have definitely not been dissappointed with the RS-1, and I think they add such a lush flavor to string concertos and solos.

I think the stock 6cg7 gained version of the SLAM would be ideal for you then... not quite the soundstage of hte 6sn7 but it has greater detail and resolution... will sound beautiful with RS-1s and even the Senns down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back