SinglePower PPX3 Tube Questions
Feb 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 38
I've come across a stash of GE-built 6GU7 tubes (branded as Amperex). Any words to the wise on this one? Thx!

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've come across a stash of GE-built 6GU7 tubes (branded as Amperex). Any words to the wise on this one? Thx!

I like the RCA, Sylvania and Raytheon (Japan) 6gu7's best for gain .... depending on the amp and ancilliaries. But, the GE 6gu7 or any other 6gu7 should be fine for output duty. I tried the GE 6gu7 some time ago for gain duty and I dont remember really liking or disliking the tube. But, I find where the 6gu7's excell is providing a more open and airy presentation when in the gain position. The 6cg7 and 6gu7 have a lot of similarities but the 6gu7 consistently seems to have a more expansive and open sound.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #33 of 38
There are Raytheon 6GU7s? I've heard their 6CG7s, and based on that, I'd imagine they are pretty nice. For right now, the RCA 6GU7s are the perfect tube for my amp. The Sylvanias were really boring and a little harsh. I understand that they work really well in some amps though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never tried the GE's, but based on what I've read they are sort of a mid ground between the RCAs and Sylvanias, which could be a good thing depending on what you are shooting for.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never tried the GE's, but based on what I've read they are sort of a mid ground between the RCAs and Sylvanias, which could be a good thing depending on what you are shooting for.

Thx! Do you mean though that the GE "middle ground" is somewhere between Sylvania ("really boring and a little harsh") and RCA (open and airy)?

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 38
Well, like I said, the Sylvanias aren't really a good fit in my amp. Lots of people really like them though. All 6GU7s that I've heard sound open and airy, the RCAs just seem to have a more full and engaging sound in my setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the GEs, I've never heard them, so I can't really say much there.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx! Do you mean though that the GE "middle ground" is somewhere between Sylvania ("really boring and a little harsh") and RCA (open and airy)?

That is basically true. But, I dont find the Sylvania harsh as much as much as I do fast and exciting. The RCA's in some of my setups are a little dark and to polite. In others the RCA sounds near perfect. The RCA does consistently have the richest tone of all the 6gu7's .... but not the most air or openess. The 6gu7's are all atleast slightly airier sounding than the 6cg7, IMO. However, I dont find the RCA 6gu7 to be as clean and airy sounding as the Raytheon or Sylvania. The Raytheon is more refined than the Sylvania.

This is based on use in three PPX3 SLAM's .... all with TS 5687 D getter output tubes. I actually have the three SLAM's set up with one RCA, one GE and one Raytheon 6gu7 for gain. But, for synergies sake they dont all have the same IC's. One PPX3 SLAM has blackgate cathode caps and the other two are pure stock. I use the MS2i with all of them.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are Raytheon 6GU7s? I've heard their 6CG7s, and based on that, I'd imagine they are pretty nice. For right now, the RCA 6GU7s are the perfect tube for my amp. The Sylvanias were really boring and a little harsh. I understand that they work really well in some amps though.
smily_headphones1.gif

You didnt know about the Rayhteons? Sorry I should have mentioned those to you. These particular 6gu7 Raytheons are Japenese manufacture.

I think this tube is awesome. Airy and clear like the Sylvania but no roughness at all .... and a very realistic soundstage. The tube isnt quite as full as the RCA but close. For some purposes I like the added excitement/ character of the Sylvania. For some I like the RCA's richer tone. But for the best overall balance in most equipment the Raytheon is tough to beat.

Look through your stash you may have some. I routinely see RCA branded Rayhteons. You can identify them by their noticeably smaller gray plates. The RCA/ GE and Sylvania plates are clearly longer when you hold them up for comparison.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #38 of 38
I think I might have one or two based on your description, but unfortunately I'd need a quad to really roll them into my amp.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back