Singlepower PPX3 SLAM vs. new Darkvoice....
Feb 20, 2007 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

newguru

100+ Head-Fier
I know we are talking pricewise about two different beasts but I was wondering if anyone here has both and how they compare?

I'm listening primarilly to jazz and blues on my headphone setup and I use the Senn HD600 for my cans.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the Single Power and have heard and older Darkvoice. IMO, the Darkvoices are good for their price range. I think they're both good for their perspective price ranges, in regard to Senns. So if you can afford the SLAM, definitely go for it. If you can't, you can't beat the Darkvoice for its price.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 16
How much is the sonic differences between SLAM and Darkvoice? Or it all comes down to personal taste?

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 16
Are you talking about the new Darkvoice 332 or the older 336(i)?

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 16
I was fortunate to owned all 3 amps mentioned although it was at a different time so I can't do direct comparison, but I can tell you that with the latest Darkvoice I have (332) I don't miss the PPX SLAM at all. That is not to say that I like one better then other as they do have different sound signature, but it is to say that I would be happy with either one, IMHO certainly.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you talking about the new Darkvoice 332 or the older 336(i)?

I have the SLAM myself: RCA cleartop 6CG7 (6SN7 adapter) and two Tung Sol D 5687s. I compared it to two Darkvoice 336is. For the real sonic differences....it seemed like for the same headphones, they shared similar tonalities and soundstages. The main thing was that the SLAM had way more impact. Not having heard the differences in the 332, at least I'd say the extra money for the SLAM is worth it over the 336. I would assume that the 332 would sound good, but that because the SLAM is still a different price point it won't be as refined as the SLAM. Senns and Grados in particular seem to do well with Single Power amps. So again, I think it really boils down to budget.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 16
To me this hobby is a journey. There is always better amp over there, or later. What I enjoy most is the discovery of the next amp for myself. I'd work my way up from low.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the SLAM myself: RCA cleartop 6CG7 (6SN7 adapter) and two Tung Sol D 5687s. I compared it to two Darkvoice 336is. For the real sonic differences....it seemed like for the same headphones, they shared similar tonalities and soundstages. The main thing was that the SLAM had way more impact. Not having heard the differences in the 332, at least I'd say the extra money for the SLAM is worth it over the 336. I would assume that the 332 would sound good, but that because the SLAM is still a different price point it won't be as refined as the SLAM. Senns and Grados in particular seem to do well with Single Power amps. So again, I think it really boils down to budget.

You compared it to two Darkvoices? Why two?

Also, what exactly is the SLAM? Is it the PPX3-6SN7? I never realized how cheap it is...$650 - it might even be my next amp!

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Also, what exactly is the SLAM? Is it the PPX3-6SN7? I never realized how cheap it is...$650 - it might even be my next amp!

The SLAM is an amp that has been optimzed for the 5687 as output tubes:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=SLAM

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

there happened to be two at the head-fi meet
icon10.gif
They both sounded similar. the PPX3-6SN7 is the base PPX3 (well at least I think with Mikhail's current price structure...he had an earlier PPX3 that wasn't 6SN7 AFAIK). Basically you get a PPX3 chasis and upgrade from there. Don't know if it's changed with the Extreme out now, but the SLAM was around $900. I'd recommend getting a 6CG7 adapter for Senns: notice it gives more impact then the 6SN7 and the NOS tubes are substanitally cheaper.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the info guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was fortunate to owned all 3 amps mentioned although it was at a different time so I can't do direct comparison, but I can tell you that with the latest Darkvoice I have (332) I don't miss the PPX SLAM at all. That is not to say that I like one better then other as they do have different sound signature, but it is to say that I would be happy with either one, IMHO certainly.

Well that is certainly interesting....

For me what is leaning me towards the Singlepower is the fact that:

1) It is made in the US so warranty and other issues are easier to handle
2) Qualitywise, the Singlepower is better made

Users who are viewing this thread

Back