Singlepower or MAD: When audio-folk go fishing
Jan 12, 2006 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
I'm so pround of myself: I finally settled on a little baby amp to work as a transportable (so be happy for me!), but now I'm trying to stare down the equally-daunting question of... what do I want?

On the bright side, I've settled on the idea that I'd like a tube amp. Actually, I've gotten a step past that, as the title indicates, and pretty much narrowed the field down to Mapletree Audio and Singlepower, largely due to near-rabid support and recommendation form these forums.

Now, this is where I get stuck. The MAD (Ear+ Purist HD, to be precise) is the more affordable option, unless shipping kills me. But Singlepower provides more options. Even so, I'm afraid that I'd wind up almost doubling the cost by going with Singlepower, which makes me wonder if perhaps it's not a better idea to start with the MAD offering (which also gives me an excuse to build something) and move up later.

Really, I suppose either would be an improvement over what I have now (which is to say, nothing), but I don't want to buy one only to turn right around and start lusting over the other. Which will probably happen anyway, but it's always nice to be validated now and again
rs1smile.gif

Anyhows, thanks for reading. If any of you have experience with both MAD and Singepower amps, I'd love to hear your thoughts between the two.
And since someone will probably want to know what the source is, I hope the source will soon be a Squeezebox, and then sometime soon after that an RWA Squeezebox for now.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 12
You really can't wrong either way but the MAD amps have special synergy with Grados and at $515 for the Ear+ Purist it's below the cost of any amps in the SinglePower line at this time.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Actually Mapletree can modify the Ear Purist + HD. For example:

-2nd set of plugs: $20
-2nd line in with corresponding selector switch: $30

The prices quoted were obtained about 6 months ago, so you should contact Dr. Lloyd. The sound of the amp is so smooth and transparent that you will not be disapointed.

By the way shipping from Canada to Miami Beach was about $35. Good luck.

Miguel

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 12
With your source and headphone choice the ear+ is a very good combination. But actually when you check the website there are some cap upgrades available for the ear+ too.
very_evil_smiley.gif
An upgraded ear+ is what I have auditioned.

www.mapletreeaudio.com

The Ear+ is very well built and the price is right for the quality you receive. The output tubes are very inexpensive and easy to find. But the ear+'s gain tube can be pricey for the better nos tubes. The amp definitely has grado synergy and brings out the best in those headphones. I like the retro look of the amp too.

But the ear+ ...... even upgraded ..... is not quite up to the basic Singlepower SLAM PPX3 sound quality wise .... IMO. But the basic SLAM PPX3 is $799. If you can forgo the temptation to upgrade and stick with the basic amp I think the difference in price is worth the improvement. One thing I have noticed is the SLAM is much better with non-grado headphones in my system; particularly the senn 600/650. If you plan to branch out to other headphones the SLAM works extremely well with all the favored headphones.
580smile.gif
3000smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
340smile.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 12
Good info, especially about the Singlepower's go-wellness with other-than-Grados. That pushes me more towards the MAD, at least for a first foray into it. I suspect that my next pair of music cans will be Grados again.

Thanks folks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
Good info, especially about the Singlepower's go-wellness with other-than-Grados. That pushes me more towards the MAD, at least for a first foray into it. I suspect that my next pair of music cans will be Grados again.

Thanks folks
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not sure you understood my input. Looking back I wasnt very clear on what I was saying. I meant the SLAM is better wiith grados than the ear+ .... and much better than the ear+ with high impedence headphones. Hence the comment the SLAM is worth the extra cost to me. But if you only plan to use grados the ear+ certainly sounds very good with them.
cool.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Bugger
frown.gif

Oh well. I just read the MPX3 SLAM review that went up today, anyway. My wallet hates me.

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 12
the MAD amp can be configured to handle higher impedence phone like the HD650. The 100th anniversary models all came with 2 headphone outputs, one for Grados,ATs etc and one for headphones of the HD650 ilk.
The Singlepower fanbase is pretty overwhelming here but you've nothing to loose by discussing your needs with Lloyd at Mapletree.

While you can spend lots of money tube rolling the MAD, there is only the one tube to worry about. With a little hunting around you can still pick up some nice NOS 5751/12AT7 for reasonable money.
I managed to pick up 4 eary 50s triple mica/blackplate GE 5751s for $25 dollars each recently which is not much more than you'd pay for current production tubes.

Jan 13, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 12
tuatara said:
the MAD amp can be configured to handle higher impedence phone like the HD650. The 100th anniversary models all came with 2 headphone outputs, one for Grados,ATs etc and one for headphones of the HD650 ilk.
The Singlepower fanbase is pretty overwhelming here but you've nothing to loose by discussing your needs with Lloyd at Mapletree.

Thats a good suggestion. I would talk to both builders. That would let you better understand whats available for both amps.

www.mapletreeaudio.com

www.singlepoweraudio.com

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 12
I've already exchanged a couple emails with Lloyd. Nice guy, very helpful (which is exactly what I hear about Mikhail, too)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hesitant to call just yet, since I haven't put away enough for either amp and I always feel a little weird asking folks who do work like this for info when I know I can't buy in very short order. So while I save, I figured it might be a good idea to solicit some opinions from other Head-Fiers who've has experience with both.
And... the more I listen to what people have to say, the more it sounds like the MAD can start that slow and steady price climb. So it may turn out to be a wash in which I find myself buying both anyway, which would really just make this an exercise in which to go after first
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
I've already exchanged a couple emails with Lloyd. Nice guy, very helpful (which is exactly what I hear about Mikhail, too)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hesitant to call just yet, since I haven't put away enough for either amp and I always feel a little weird asking folks who do work like this for info when I know I can't buy in very short order.

Everything you hear points to two extremely helpful builders.
I was asking questions of both of them long before I was ready to take the plunge and part of being a good retailer is being ready and willing to answer questions and supply information in all situations, not just when you think you have an instant sell.

Just beware, I've found valves can be addictive. A Mapletree pre amp has now joined the family and next on the list will probably be one of his power amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 12
Definitely call Mikhail and see what kind of deal you can work out. I've heard of several times that he could offer a special deal on a trade-in/demo or something in a case that had a tiny bit of damage. If you're open to such a thing that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back