Singlepower MPX3
Jun 4, 2006 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Arnoldhasmail

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

I recently received my MPX3...it has a Supra transformer, blackgates, p2p silver wire and the solen upgrade. I've been listening with the recommended KenRad input tube and the Sylvania outputs. I had the oportunity to hear this amp in different configurations and found this setup to be just what I was looking for. Mikhail is sending me a few other tubes to fine tune the sound but...I LOVE this amp. After spending time with it...all my other amps are weak. I'm listening with HD600's with Zu and a pair of 701's that I'm having modded by Moon-Audio using a black dragon cable. I've been listening for hours every day and for the first time...don't find myself getting fatigued. Most of the time I'm using a Denon 2900 as a source but I've also used my computer and a Meridian 588. I've tried a few different Power Cords...and although I hear talk on the forum that power cords don't make a big difference with these amps...I have to disagree. My favorite to date has been a Harmonic Tech Fantasy 10...and I'm using a pair of MIT Shotgun S2 IC's.

These are truly wonderful amplifiers...if you love tubes...this may be the amp for you...they can be made to sound very warm and rich or dynamic and neutral...it's just a matter of picking the right parts and being patient while it's built. A Highly Recomended Piece For Those Who Love Music...Enjoy

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Congratulations on getting what you know you like! Thats a nice mod package too.
wink.gif

Are you going to try the 5687's as output tubes? You will be very surprised at the difference in presentation. I think 5687 output tubes make the amp even better ..... if you are willing to sacrifice a little soundstage size.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 18
No, I tried them on an earlier MPX3 I had, but found I prefer the sound of the amp driven by 6SN7's. I'm actually shocked at the popularity of the Slam amps...it wasn't my cup of tea...

But

I appreciate your help in choosing a Singlepower...your guidance early-on was invaluable.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnoldhasmail
No, I tried them on an earlier MPX3 I had, but found I prefer the sound of the amp driven by 6SN7's. I'm actually shocked at the popularity of the Slam amps...it wasn't my cup of tea...

But

I appreciate your help in choosing a Singlepower...your guidance early-on was invaluable.

Join the Club MPX3. Frankly MPX3 Slam is awesome, but I also prefer more transparent and more airy presentation of 6sn7 MPX3 over the Slam model. I had mine done last October and I've been quite happy with it.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 18
How do you Americans put things bluntly? Ah yes, "the MPX3 is the $h!t". I prefer the spaciousness and sparkle of the 6SN7 over the 5687 tubes by a slight margin. The reason for this can be explained by my choice in headphones. I found that the PS-1 already yields plenty of "slam" and therefore benefits more from the 6SN7 tubes.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 18
My I kindly ask what you paid for your amp in this configuration? Even just a general range if you don't mind?

I do understand if you'd rather not say...

Peace,

Graz

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 18
Congradulations and enjoy it to the fullest!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnoldhasmail
I've tried a few different Power Cords...and although I hear talk on the forum that power cords don't make a big difference with these amps...I have to disagree.

That's how i feel also whenever i power cord swap.I definetly can hear a difference when swapping between a Grandenigma EA cable,VH Audio 2 and a volex.

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 18
It's a great piece of audio machinery isn't it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Congrats, that's one fine amp. Playing with some different combinations of NOS tubes could definitely be worth while. I enjoyed my MPX3 Slam right out of the box, but ever since I found the right tubes it's been sheer bliss.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackexpress
Congrats also I just received my MPX3 slam 3 days ago as well Anyone know of a good source for tubes?

PM Earl (sacd lover) as he is a Singlepower guru.

To the OP congrats on the MPX3.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackexpress
Congrats also I just received my MPX3 slam 3 days ago as well Anyone know of a good source for tubes?

Ebay can actually be a great source for tubes as long as you buy from reputabale sellers.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
Ebay can actually be a great source for tubes as long as you buy from reputabale sellers.

Yes and no, my expereinces with Ebay have been fairly mixed. Personally I';d only deal with them if you can get a steady dialouge going along with a clear indication of what the state of the tubes is. Simply saying Good or NOS means nothing. If you really want to buy tubes from them I'd in the very least get the numbers for those tubes and the tester used.

I've inquired with so called reputable sellers which resulted in them tiptoeing around these basic questions (in relation to what you might ask a formal tube dealer).

There is a tube site FAQ on the top of this board

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20676

I've interacted with several of the sites off that listing with generally good success.

The tube dealers I usually go with include:

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/
http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/
http://vacuumtubes.com/
http://radiodaze.com

That said, above all realize that these are tube dealers, who have little to no knowledge about our application (headphone amps and such). They won't be able to tell you much if anything about how they sound.

That being said, I have several concepts that I have been thinking about. The tube combination that i believe is my favorite at the moment is is 14n7 or RCA 12sn7GT driving a 6BL7GTA biased at 375V. In this configuration, IMO the amount of bass impact is comparable, evening exceeding the 5687s in some areas. They also have the soundstage and airiness that the 6sn7s are knwn for. The 5687s by contrast are more intimate (like a jazz club vs. a concert hall) with the bass being a tad tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back