Singlepower MPX3 SLAM SE has arrived...
Sep 12, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #32 of 92
Arg the wait for my mpx3 is killing me! Shipping dates havn't held very solid in my case
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 92
That's awesome! This seems to be the hot amp at the moment. I have one in the pipeline as well. I haven't put the official order in yet, as I'm waiting to see how much I owe the tax man first, but I should likely have the order made in about a week or two. I've been getting lots of help from Earl and Mikhail about what options I should choose. I'll be doing an MPX3 with some custom parts choices, but in the end, it seems to look a lot like these "SE" models. I'm quite excited
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have any pics? This thread is seriously lacking pics for those of us who don't have our singlepowers yet
smily_headphones1.gif

-Scott

Sep 12, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax
Arg the wait for my mpx3 is killing me! Shipping dates havn't held very solid in my case
frown.gif

Frustrating but I wouldn't be too worried. Just takes time. Mikhail told me mine would ship in 3 weeks but he also offered that estimate(emphasis on estimate!) with the MPX3 and that didn't work out either. I'm at about 6 weeks and counting but quality takes time. Waiting is hard but look at it this way....if he rushed the amps out and didn't check and re-check and it arrived with problems, you and I would be pretty upset wouldn't we? Sure. Personally, I prefer he take all the time he needs regardless of any perceived deadline. I understand these time frames to be simply hopeful estimates and I certainly don't hold him to those. Hang in there....when these amps arrive, the wait won't be anything but a faint/distant memory. Good...no...make that GREAT things come to those who wait and have patience!

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 92
the one thing im absolutely looking forward to with this amp is the seemingly limitless combinations of tubes available. long after the first WOW has worn off, ill be able to fiddle and choose tubes and have a bit of fun.

i tihnk thats something that pushed me over the edge, the possibilities of tubes you can use. solid state presents a sound, and thats it beyond 2 or 3 gain settings. so you better love it or else
smily_headphones1.gif

and im in sympathy with the others, the wait is killing me.

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #37 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
the one thing im absolutely looking forward to with this amp is the seemingly limitless combinations of tubes available. long after the first WOW has worn off, ill be able to fiddle and choose tubes and have a bit of fun.

i tihnk thats something that pushed me over the edge, the possibilities of tubes you can use. solid state presents a sound, and thats it beyond 2 or 3 gain settings. so you better love it or else
smily_headphones1.gif

and im in sympathy with the others, the wait is killing me.

I suspect that soon after you get your amp there may be several more tubes added to the "can use" list. Recently .... the 7119/ ecc182 (usually Amperex) and the 6gu7 were added. The 7119 is a drop in replacement for the 5687 and the 6gu7 is a drop in replacement for the 6cg7. Drop in replacement means the tube can be dropped directly in the circuit without any modifications. So if you have a tube socket or tube socket adapter in your amp that uses the 5687 .... plug in 7119 and the tube will work perfectly in the amp. If you have a tube socket or tube socket adapter in your amp that uses the 6cg7 .... plug in the 6gu7 and the tube will work perfectly in the amp.
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #38 of 92
great ideas mate, but what im wondering is, where are the best places to get these tubes generally, and are they all generally the same price? im aware there are certain types that are more expensive, but are there guides out there? i assume mikhail has a fair few tubes, but are there other sites that ship internationally with ideas on prices?

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I suspect that soon after you get your amp there may be several more tubes added to the "can use" list. Recently .... the 7119/ ecc182 (usually Amperex) and the 6gu7 were added. The 7119 is a drop in replacement for the 5687 and the 6gu7 is a drop in replacement for the 6cg7. Drop in replacement means the tube can be dropped directly in the circuit without any modifications. So if you have a tube socket or tube socket adapter in your amp that uses the 5687 .... plug in 7119 and the tube will work perfectly in the amp. If you have a tube socket or tube socket adapter in your amp that uses the 6cg7 .... plug in the 6gu7 and the tube will work perfectly in the amp.
cool.gif

When I get my new amp...boy do we need to have a long talk!! This one should be even more fun than the slam!

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 92
Quote:

great ideas mate, but what im wondering is, where are the best places to get these tubes generally, and are they all generally the same price? im aware there are certain types that are more expensive, but are there guides out there? i assume mikhail has a fair few tubes, but are there other sites that ship internationally with ideas on prices?

Tube prices actually vary quite a bit from dealer to dealer. Audioasylum has some good tube threads and if you can find the old "singlepower tube rolling" thread here it is also a pretty good resource.

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #41 of 92
Whoops ... I forgot about the ECC adapters. Several of these adapters are already in use in the ES-1. This adapter allows you to use the 12AX7/12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes. The new production ECC99 from JJ Tesla can also be used with this adapter. The 12 series tubes are for input/ gain duty and the ECC99 is better suited as an output tube for headphone amps ... or as an intermediate gain stage to drive power tubes like the 300B/2A3. Using the ECC99 as an intermediate gain stage would look something like this .... 12ax7 > ECC99 > 2A3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #42 of 92
thanks tkam.

its a bit hard being here for this sort of stuff, the vast majority seems to concentrate around the US. i suppose the best plan of action is to listen to guys like sacd lover and take pot luck

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

the one thing im absolutely looking forward to with this amp is the seemingly limitless combinations of tubes available.

What i find so exciting is the prices compared to other popular 6SN7.Before it would have cost alot to get a good tube selection going but for dirt cheap a ton of great sounding tubes can be had.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #44 of 92
"great ideas mate, but what im wondering is, where are the best places to get these tubes generally, and are they all generally the same price? im aware there are certain types that are more expensive, but are there guides out there? i assume mikhail has a fair few tubes, but are there other sites that ship internationally with ideas on prices?"

alex_cs
I have noticed that there is a Australian guy on EBay that is selling some of the really desirable tubes lately. They have been going for very reasonable prices too. I think because many US buyers are wary of buying tubes from so far away. Being in Australia yourself, you might look in to it.

"Whoops ... I forgot about the ECC adapters. Several of these adapters are already in use in the ES-1. This adapter allows you to use the 12AX7/12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes."

Earl -
I'm assuming that in order to use the 12AX7/12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes, via an adapter, that one must have had the 12 volt upgrade mod done to their amp. Is that true?

- augustwest

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

"Whoops ... I forgot about the ECC adapters. Several of these adapters are already in use in the ES-1. This adapter allows you to use the 12AX7/12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes."

Earl -
I'm assuming that in order to use the 12AX7/12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes, via an adapter, that one must have had the 12 volt upgrade mod done to their amp. Is that true?

- augustwest

Nope. Those tubes can work at 6V as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back