SinglePower MPX3 SE breaking-in
Aug 2, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I was giddy as a schoolgirl when I first got my MPX3 Slam. I let it play the first night through and then spent the next few days trying out different tube combinations. The amp was spectacular out of the box, but got even better as the tubes and the Blackgates broke in.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 5
What do you think of it so far?

I have an MPX-3 SLAM coming and I'm bracing myself for the improvement over the X-CAN V3 I just sold.

Just ordered up a TungSol 6N57GT roundplate to drop into the gain slot in preparation for its arrival.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi,

Thanks for responding. Mine is a 6sn7 version (non-SLAM) but SE with preamp out otherwise, and at this moment I don't know where to go for tube alternatives. Anyway, jpr703 is right: the amp is fantastic from the get-go. There's an unmistaken sense of effortless solid power supporting the tubes, and even with my stock tubes I could detect no noise or distortion, not even microphonics. There seems to be an electrical brick wall between the AC line and my headphones.

While waiting for a better pair of cans, I've been listening to the K240DFs and DT831s. The K240DFs opened up tonight, fleshing out Barbara Bonney's voice in several tracks of her lieder CDs. I know it must be a long way until the amp is fully burn-in, and having not heard the X-CAN V3, I bet you won't be disappointed.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey,

The MPX3-slam is fantastic right out of the box and since I've pretty much have never heard much difference between a brand new amp/headphone/cable and after 2-400 hours I have no comment on that. It's a great piece of electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back