Single wire speaker cable
Jan 26, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard of OR use a single wire as a speaker cable as opposed to the multiple strands and so forth?

In your opinion does it bear any difference to more conventional designs? Any advantages and disadvantages.

I just bought a single silver wire cable (DIY) and I thought it sounded very good but I upgraded my amp at the same time though so I've not made any comparison with other speaker cable using that amp. One thing, this single wire type can be annoying to handle as they form loops and bends. Anyway the wire looks like a nylon string or fishing net to those who need some help with the imagination
tongue.gif
The good thing is they look nearly invincible, kind of like your speaker went wireless
icon10.gif

I'm burning my amp for 36 hours then I can take pictures. Pictures to come
icon10.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 8
I use single strand magnet wire and they do suck in terms of flexibility and strain relief, obviously. I have no way to quantify the quality of sound due to its single strand nature since I didn't compare it to an equal gauge magnet wire with multi strands. Compared to my no name stranded braded cables that I used before, all I remember was that the mags have more solid bass and dynamics.

Oh, I have something like 12 or 13 gauge copper magnet wire, not thin silver stuff.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 8
They're not bare. They have either a teflon coating or some kind of enamel, depending.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
They're not bare. They have either a teflon coating or some kind of enamel, depending.

Ah, okay. Makes sense.

They don't look that invincible to me; tripping over them might... wait, you meant invisible, didn't you? Okay, nevermind.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Two speaker cable factors that are more widely agreed on than some other factors are resistance and inductance. The resistance of thin cables is of course higher; depending on distance, speaker impedance (over the frequency range) and to a lesser degree amplifier, the cable resistance and inductance can cause minor frequeny variations. How minor depends on the cable resistance, and shorter is more betters than longer.

If your speaker allows biwiring, you might try heavier wire for the woofer, and your silver for the mid/high.

Jan 28, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Ah, okay. Makes sense.

They don't look that invincible to me; tripping over them might... wait, you meant invisible, didn't you? Okay, nevermind.

You're right. I mean invisible (knocks own head). The wires are coated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back