Single vs dual coaxial quality
Nov 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a cheap DAC + headphone amp... A lot of the Fiio products seem to only have a single coaxial and single line out on them... So if I connect the single coaxial to a dual RCA cable with an adapter (to output to my speaker amp) and then use the single line in to a headphone amp (for headphones obviously) will this be any different in sound quality compared to a dac with dual RCA outputs? Or will it sound exactly the same with a small possibility of more crosstalk?

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 5
  I am looking for a cheap DAC + headphone amp... A lot of the Fiio products seem to only have a single coaxial and single line out on them... So if I connect the single coaxial to a dual RCA cable with an adapter (to output to my speaker amp) and then use the single line in to a headphone amp (for headphones obviously) will this be any different in sound quality compared to a dac with dual RCA outputs? Or will it sound exactly the same with a small possibility of more crosstalk?

The FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp ($75) comes with both an amplified headphone output and a separate line-output, that you can connect to speakers

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 5

The FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp ($75) comes with both an amplified headphone output and a separate line-output, that you can connect to speakers

Yeh but I meant single coaxial output vs dual RCA output sound quality.

I think you may be confusing different types of output here. Single coaxial outputs digital signal, thus need a DAC to convert it to analogue for amplification purposes. Dual RCA outputs analogue signal, means it is to be plugged to an amplifier, not a DAC.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 5
  Yeh but I meant single coaxial output vs dual RCA output sound quality.

Usually a single RCA jack by itself means it's a coaxial digital audio signal.
Normally coaxial usually carries 2-channel of digital PCM audio.
With compression the coaxial can carry up to 6-channels (like 5.1) of digital audio.

RCA jacks in pairs usually means it's a stereo analog audio signal (each RCA jack carries one analog audio signal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back