single ended vs balanced cable - my experiences
May 9, 2019 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
hi i have come to my conclusion that i prefer the single ended, it seems to me to sound more analogue, less sharp and easier to listen to and more enjoyable, i used an ibasso dx120 with output as volume matched as i could get. The iems were fiio fa7 using fiio cables.

i also do not understand why balanced outputs in daps seem to be more powerful and possibly more dynamic at the expense of the single ended which the majoirty of headphone cables have.

i would be interested in any thoughts on this topic

d

May 9, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 2
hi i have come to my conclusion that i prefer the single ended, it seems to me to sound more analogue, less sharp and easier to listen to and more enjoyable, i used an ibasso dx120 with output as volume matched as i could get. The iems were fiio fa7 using fiio cables.

i also do not understand why balanced outputs in daps seem to be more powerful and possibly more dynamic at the expense of the single ended which the majoirty of headphone cables have.

i would be interested in any thoughts on this topic

d
whoa whoa. You opened a can of worms. First ones dac and amp is se or balanced or offers both through xlr. That changes the sq between different brands so hard to isolate.
Then there the cable which differs between makers never mind balanced or se cables. I look for the best cable maker period.
Volume balanced has twice the voltage, one left, one right. So balanced is inherently louder.
The sq between se and balanced depends on your whole rig plus hp. So in the end conclusions between cables has a ton of confounding variables to draw a conclusion.
Balanced versus se is a philosophy and how one builds ones system around either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back