Single-ended, resistor biased MOSFET amp completed! Pics!
Nov 10, 2003 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aphex944

500+ Head-Fier
Just had my 5% efficient MOSFET(IRF510) zero-feedback amplifier built by a friend. Uses Black Gate output coupling, polycarbonate input coupling, and audio-grade Muse cap for power supply bypass.

Simply put, it sounds better than anything I've heard for headphones, and runs extremely hot
wink.gif
Very clear in detail, but also very mellow. Kind of a mix of tube sweetness and solid state detail.

Here are some pictures:

onesmall.jpg

twosmall.jpg
front.jpg

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 9
I love mine too. I see you went with a switch mode power supply. I was going to give that a try with my next one,so I am glad to hear you like yours. Let us know how it sounds after the caps burn in.
A schematic would be great, if you can post one.

Dec 16, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi,

You should probably use bigger heatsinks. The original Szekeres amp draws less than 100mA/ch, but it gets too hot to touch with 5W heatsinks. Your amp draws like 600mA/ch according to your schematics. Right?

Ic = 625mA = 5V / 8ohms
Vs = 0.5V = 0.625A * 0.82ohms

Hey, you can calculate your Vgs from there, lol.

Just one thing I remember from my EE class, but common source amp is dependent on load impedance. (I don't remember HOW it was dependent ... sorry)

Tomo

P.S. I do more circuit calculation after graduation ... I guess I was skipping too many homework sets. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back