Single Dynamic Driver Lovers Discussion
Sep 23, 2021 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Scubadevils

Previously known as Scuba Devils
I don't think a thread of this nature already exists and much needed. Thanks for the idea @Xinlisupreme

As the title suggests, a place to discuss single DD IEMs. There seems to a growth in this category which I'm pleased to see, my bank balance probably not.

I love them as hard to beat the coherency and natural sounding signature. At present I own -
  1. Sennheiser IE900
  2. Dunu Zen
  3. Oriolus Isabellae
IE900 my top choice and curious now to further explore others. The Zen Pro is tempting - I've enjoyed Zen but hit and miss, I appreciate most with electronic music with bass emphasis... it can be incredibly impressive. FAudio Dark Sky also on the radar. I love the Isa, beautiful intimate sound and especially for ambient, vocals, acoustic etc.

So, what are your favourites single DD IEMs?

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 66
You’re a real DD lover and there are a lot of single DD on market today.
Some years ago Dunu Luna and Finally A8000 was on the top, but now there are a lot of new stuff.
Thank @Scuba Devils for specific new thread.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 66
You’re a real DD lover and there are a lot of single DD on market today.
Some years ago Dunu Luna and Finally A8000 was on the top, but now there are a lot of new stuff.
Thank @Scuba Devils for specific new thread.

I look forward to your first single DD - curious as to what it will be!

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 66
IE900 and Dark Sky are on top of my list, but I’ll wait some comparison.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 66
I'm not sure if you want to include multi DD models here, but the UM 3DTs is very enjoyable once you deal with the upper mids peak. Great bass and timbre.

It seems like the diminishing returns to money spent on a DD are even more drastic than other types of setups. I haven't heard many of the upper tier models, but they all seem to have some wonky tuning.

For example, I don't think many/any have eclipsed the JVC/Drop FDX1 in terms of solid tuning + good resolution , and it's 300 dollars.

The unicorn IEM for me is a well tuned single DD (or multi DD - that still sounds better than BA or hybrid versions to me) with close enough to TOTL technicalities and that costs <=1k. I don't think it exists yet.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 66
Sorry for doubling up on positing but a few DDs on my immediate radar are:

Aune Jasper
Drop/JVC FWX1 (that JVC wood timbre is something)

A few I'm curious about but which are too expensive to take the risk on are:

The Technics tz700
qdc Universal Dmagic 3D

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 66
I'm just so happy single DD has made such a comeback at the high'ish end. Takes me back to the early 2000's, hahahaha.

I appreciate the newer tech that BA's, bone conduction & ESTs bring, but for my preferences, to date, nothing has replicated the tactility and sense of air being moved that DD brings to the party. No matter my budget (which admittedly is "responsibly minuscule", hahahahaha, compared to what it used to be), I just don't have it in me to spend much on any IEM that lacks a DD. YMMV as always, but this thread shall be my safespace. :smile: :smile:

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 66
David I suggest to write range price 😜

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 66
Also Acoustune HS200MX with swappable driver looks inretesting..

B2B2C499-45D1-426F-B68A-35DDD24206A3.png

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 66
Let’s not forget about the Dunu Falcon Pro for just over $200! Unfortunately mine is stuck in USPS limbo after being handed off by DHL…

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back