Single-driver speakers - wiring
Jan 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 16

Quote:

Quote:
I suppose the dual wire configuration reduces the impedence of the wiring on the + terminal. Not sure if there's any benefit to such a thing, electrically... but on the other hand impedence on speaker wiring is generally very small and practically neglegible anyways.

Single driver speakers dont have the same (cough) issues (cough) with output impedance that multi-driver speakers do. 

For a good time, replace the wire with a 20 ohm resistor. The resistor can be on either terminal, it dosnt make a difference.

I havent tried it on the Omegas (or even heard a set... yet) but messing about with non-standard impedances does awesome things to my Voigt pipes.

Quote:
i use tannoy dual concentrics, not sure they are strictly single driver though as they have a tweeter buried inside them and a crossover.  sound storming on vocals for sure :)  not entirely sure why someone would want a single driver speaker...no crossover?

No crossover is the most commonly cited reason for Single drivers. The second, is a problem that dual concentric drivers solve - the sound separates when you listen near-field (and sometimes at longer distances from the speakers too) to multi-way speakers with the tweeter far separate from the mid/woofer drivers. Try it! Park yourself in front of a pair of multi-way speakers with the tweeter a good 6" from the center of the mid driver - If you listen closely the highs clearly come from the tweeter, and the mids/lows come from the mid/low drivers, several inches away (or wherever that appears in the soundstage). 

Tannoy dual concentrics are a weird hybrid. They still have the crossovers, but because of the way the tweeter is integrated with the mid/low driver they act more like a point source. the way Tannoy aligns the coils in the 2 drivers is another benefit because it solves some funky phase issues that other speakers suffer from.

Ari I think you will like the Omega when you come to the mini meet. I am really enjoying the low wattage tube amps with these speakers and really never thought I would ever like a single driver but I am sold big time especially for nearfield listening. This setup will keep me happy for a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back