Single device to digitize LPs AND with digital out to external DAC?
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fvoelling

New Head-Fier
I'd like to convert my old LPs to digital, but also need something to transfer digital out to an external DAC.

The PreSonus 1394 looks promising for recording LPs but does not have a digital out. Are there quality devices for up to $500 that provide both functions?

Thx,
Frank

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by fvoelling
I'd like to convert my old LPs to digital, but also need something to transfer digital out to an external DAC.

The PreSonus 1394 looks promising for recording LPs but does not have a digital out. Are there quality devices for up to $500 that provide both functions?

Thx,
Frank

Are you looking an external (USB/FireWire) or internal (PCI/PCMCIA) solution?

E-MU models with Audiodock (PCI: 1820 and 1820M, PCMCIA: 1616 and 1616M) comes into mind first.

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.

ESI U46DJ - (! no SPDIF I/O)

jiitee

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, jiitee, that 1820 would probably work out.

Come to think of it, my integrated stereo amp has a phono input and pre-amp out/main in connectors that let me use its pre- and main amp sections separately. I could do the following:

Recording:
turntable -> pre-amp -> soundcard analog in

Playback:
soundcard SPDIF out -> PreSonus Central Station (DAC/pre-amp) -> headphones and/or power amp (-> speakers)

This would allow me to use something like the E-Mu 1212M, correct? Anything that I would give up going this route (signal quality, inferior recording/editing software, etc)?

Thx,
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back