Single Blind Test: HA-1 MkII vs. CMoy
Jan 21, 2005 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I just conducted a brief single blind test between my CORDA HA-1 MkII and my CMoy. The source was a Music Hall CD-25 and the phones were the Beyerdynamic DT880. Crossfeed was turned off on the HA-1. I listened to each track only once on each of the amps and only long enough to get a sense of the sound. Now, the results:

Track 1: Autechre - "Clipper"
The sound was very similar between the two amps on this track. The CMoy was slightly thinner sounding, which I think I interpreted as having a more open soundstage. I chose the CMoy as having the better sound, but the margin was insignificant.

Track 2: Derek Sherinian - "Box"
Again, the sound was very similar. I chose the HA-1 as the better sounding amp because I could hear better resolution in the lower frequencies.

Track 3: Steve Reich - "Music for 18 Musicians"
The HA-1 was utterly superior. I heard the CMoy first; after switching to the HA-1, I could immediately hear more weight and detail in the instruments. The CORDA simply gave the music more life.

Track 4: Brian Eno - "Lizard Point"
I could hear no difference between the amps. After this track, I increased the volume on both amps because I felt it had been somewhat too low up to this point.

Track 5: Spock's Beard - "Crack the Big Sky"
The HA-1 needed only a few seconds to show its superiority. The fantastic detail, blackness, and openness were immediately apparent.

Track 6: Meshuggah - "New Millenium Cyanide Christ"
This was another easy victory for the HA-1. Much like the Steve Reich track, the music simply had more weight and life to it.

Conclusion
The HA-1 wasn't always superior, but when it was, the difference was extremely clear. Crossfeed improves the sound even more. If I can find the motivation, I'll post a full review.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 2
Thanks for posting your observations! Bring on the full review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back